[WINDOWS] Problem with DXVA
Hello,

as I'm fooling around with my system for some days now, I try to post my problems here, maybe someone can help me:

I have a mini-pc with an AMD 64 X2 3800+, a nVidia 6150 on-board graphic and Windows Server 2003 (campus license).
And I don't get DXVA running with that combination.
I tried many different things (updating the system, checking dxdiag.exe, ...) and nothing helped solving the problem. When playing a file (MP4, AVCHD, ...), XBMC every time chooses the ff-h264 (witoug "-dxva").
The same happens when running MPC-HT. The codec says that DXVA is not used.
The strange thing is that the video plays flawless in MPC-HT but it drops frames and stutters like hell in XBMC.

Can anyone give me some hint and explanation?

Thank you in advance,
Matthias
XBMC requires DXVA v2, and Server 2003 (like XP) supports only DXVA v1.

MPC-HC can use DXVA v1, which is presumably why it can play your videos without juddering.

JR
Oh, thanky you. Now I know why I didn't get it to work :-)
So, what I did yesterday: I bought a new Windows 7 HP and installed iti to the machine.
After updating the display driver (directly from nVidia), still DXVA2 is not working. I activated the option "Use DXVA2" in XBMC and even deactivated the check for compatibility in advancedsettings.xml.
Is there any other thing I have to take care for?

Thank you,
Matthias
Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, the close XBMC, start it again, play some test file for a minute or two then close XBMC again.

To open the debug log press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%APPDATA%\XBMC\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes) and press return and the log will open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log to http://pastebin.com/ and post the link here. The log will tell use why DXVA isn't being used.

JR
Hi,

thans again for the fast reply.
I performed the steps you described and the log-file is available here: http://pastebin.com/JQNETSwp

Greetings from germany,
Matthias
If you look at the log starting at line 553 you'll see:

Code:
DEBUG: DXVA - supports 'MPEG2 IDCT'
DEBUG: DXVA - supports 'VC-1 MoComp'
DEBUG: DXVA - supports 'Windows Media Video 9 MoComp'
DEBUG: DXVA - supports 'VC-1 post processing'
DEBUG: DXVA - supports 'Windows Media Video 9 post processing'
DEBUG: DXVA - supports 1720AC81-9d1b-4f63-9a37-4a88483d0b87
DEBUG: DXVA - supports 'H.264 motion compensation (MoComp), no FGT'
DEBUG: DXVA - unable to find an input/output format combination

This means your video card doesn't support hardware acceleration for the format of your video. I suspect the NVIDIA 6 series GPUs are too old to support DXVA2.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:This means your video card doesn't support hardware acceleration for the format of your video. I suspect the NVIDIA 6 series GPUs are too old to support DXVA2.

JR
Definitely, the 6-series are ancient. A cheap GT 210 or AMD 6450 would be a wise upgrade.
Hi,

thank you very much for the analysis.
The PV has a very small housing so there is no chance to install a new graphics cars - the 6150 is an onboard-solution.
What I will do, as soon as it is available: I'll buy the new Zotac ID80 with a GT520M, the D2700 Atom, 4GB RAM and a SSD and hope the problems get solved with this solution.

Greetings,
Matthias

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Problem with DXVA0