is XBMC encouraging the movie industry to provide digital copies?
I know Warner Bros. attempted this with Where the Wild Things Are etc. but those digital copies were SD only.
I think the sweet spot here to discourage piracy would be to allow an uncompromised BR rip from the big players online (amazon, play etc).
I know Amazon have attempted this but are the digital copies of equal quality to a bluray rip?
I don't think the price comes down enough either. Surely if they don't have to pay for packaging, a retail store, or retail staff and the like.. wouldn't it be fair to have a sub-£10 digital copy price for a movie? Would anyone else on here be happy to pay that?

Sounding off topic to my own thread, but bringing it back now:
XBMC has really taken off, and it has pushed the NAS market along in tow, the UK broadband system is nowhere near ready to stream >30gb movies to the home, but I would be more than happy to wait 3 hours downloading a movie to my NAS rather than go to the shop and pay extra for a disk I can't even share between devices easily.
Even if they do provide digital copies they are wrapped in DRM and still unable to be played across multiple devices. I've bought a couple of movies that had the digital copies included but they could only be played with a specific player on certain OS's and they have to be redeemed within a certain time. I don't even bother with the digital copies and just rip the disc and make a digital copy myself, that way I can enjoy my media on my phone, Linux laptop, ps3, xbmc etc...
Star 
If you can rent Blu-Rays, wouldn't it be possible to have a Blu-Ray swap club.. every person brings a few Blu-Rays to swap every Friday night for exchange... whoa... how about a store front for those who can't make Friday night (credit card imprint needed Smile and pick & choose ones on the shelf...We could allow a mail forward... of those swaps as long as shipping was looked after... lets call it Block Buseter I heard that tag has come available.

all non profit of course.. provided I'm looked after in the manner I'm accustomed...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is XBMC encouraging the movie industry to provide digital copies?0