• 2(current)
This thread is for forum update discussion
If you want easy admin, security updates, and a REAL plugin system I would suggest at least looking at http://simplemachines.org/

Version 2.x has great core features and as I saw in the other posts yes there is a Tapatalk plugin as well. Version 2 is also now released under an open source license.

Seriously to install security updates you just go the admin pain and click update...
Can I request a few forum features while your at it? Wink

- Forum header links to main website index instead of forum index. (damn thats currently very annoying)
- Auto subscribe to threads you post in (thats a default feature of vbulletin)
- Subscribed posts icon on main forum header
- Tapatalk support
- Keep the blue theme (its nice and easy to read)
- Only have one theme (multiple is confusing and distracts from the brand)
- A good smiley theme Wink Smile Sad :O
zag2me Wrote:- Auto subscribe to threads you post in (thats a default feature of vbulletin)

Not sure if everyone will like that. Most will probably find out after they've already been subscribed to several threads before the now they have to disable it.

Like for the team this should be default off or you will go nuts when you get all those notifications.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Martijn Wrote:Not sure if everyone will like that. Most will probably find out after they've already been subscribed to several threads before the now they have to disable it.

Like for the team this should be default off or you will go nuts when you get all those notifications.

Subscription doesn't have to use notifications Wink

Vbulletin lets you subscribe but not send emails by default.

Its really useful to just find the threads your involved in by hitting the "subscribed threads" at the top of the forum page.

You can find it under quick links >> subscribed threads.
Agreed with zag2me! My bookmarked link to XBMC is to my subscribed threads, which is all the ones I've posted in, or manually subscribed too... subscribed threads is the most important feature for a forum to have.
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
By the looks myBB has that feature.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:By the looks myBB has that feature.

What large sites use myBB? It isn't even tracked over at http://www.big-boards.com/ does it have any history of scaling and security?

SMF is at least used on several VERY large sites.

SMF compares nicely with myBB and in a few places has more features out of the box
http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/MyBB+SMF
Yes, myBB is used on very large sites, order of magnitude larger than XBMC's forums.

XBMC's forums would easily be in the top 20 (or higher depending on what you rank on) of the SMF list over there.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Feature wise it looks interesting, if you have experience with it that is what counts most. I had never seen it before.

I have had experience with phpBB, and Invision. I found SMF considerably more polished, i have used both 1.x and 2.x versions of SMF and am very happy.

The fact that SMF has a REAL plugin API was the big draw, since phpBB code hacks where a nighmare for security patching..

Out of the box installing additional spam protection seems to be a must for all the boards since captcha's are mostly useless now. there is a http://www.stopforumspam.com/ for both SMF and myBB, I would suggested considering it.. It makes finding a whacking human / robot generated spam accounts easier.
Thanks for the info on stopforumspam - will make a note. I dunno if many have noticed, but for the last month or so we're getting some nifty spammers who just re-post 8 or 9 posts (normally from respected posters, so they're selective) in "popular-ish" threads. Once they get past the initial "no links" of forum users, they then edit their posts to start including links (or throw a spam link or two in their sig). It's easily detected at the moment, but with a small amount of changes to their behaviour IMO it would be extremely hard for them to be detected automatically.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Within SMF the stopforumspam plugin mostly ties into the member screen and lets you scan all your members, it then flags any known spammer, names, email address or IPs... IPs and Email being the safest filters. You can just then nuke them en mass. Note this is needed since some accounts don't get flagged right away.

It also ties directly to your registration page preventing known spam email address or ips from registering.

Looks like myBB has a decent set of anti-spam plugins like SMF http://community.mybb.com/archive/index....04905.html
All Capatcha's have been cracked these days, but a simple Q&A spam question will break most of the spam bots.
This weekend we'll fix the last conversion issues on myBB and I'll also do a test-conversion with SMF just to see how it behaves. A real plugin system is ofc nicer then just hooks - at first glance the dedicated admin panel of myBB is at least easier to handle then the visually clustered SMF one.

The screenshot natethomas showed is from the default myBB skin with a quickly added XBMC logo - it'll change for final version.
In case of choosing SMF over MyBB i would like to suggest KeyCAPTCHA (it might also work with MyBB but i am not sure).
I have seen it on other forums and can say for sure that it is better (and still not letting in spammers) in contrast to ReCaptcha.

PS
+1 for SMF Smile
da-anda Wrote:This weekend we'll fix the last conversion issues on myBB and I'll also do a test-conversion with SMF just to see how it behaves. A real plugin system is ofc nicer then just hooks - at first glance the dedicated admin panel of myBB is at least easier to handle then the visually clustered SMF one.

The screenshot natethomas showed is from the default myBB skin with a quickly added XBMC logo - it'll change for final version.

No offence but that theme in the screenshot is pretty ugly Eek The bold text looks particularly bad.

Aren't there any better themes?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This thread is for forum update discussion0