• 3(current)
This thread is for forum update discussion
the default themes are ugly for both, myBB and SMF - and as I said, the theme will change for final launch (or short after - depends on the issues). But just for testing the conversion the default one is fine enough for now (screenshot is default).

Also just had a little closer look at SMF. Their "plugin system" isn't much different form myBB, except that they have a repository browser that eases installation - but as it seems the addons are just extracted and merged into the main source - which is not what I expected from a real "plugin system". I know it that plugins stay in their own folders (like f.e. themes) and just register for hooks - easier to follow what's installed and easier deletion on file level if things go wrong. Also it does modify source code of core files on some "plugins" which is in my eyes a total no-go.
My comparison of the plugin system was vs systems like phpBB (total hacked crap, often has issues with themes), I had no knowledge of myBB, you are right, they are very similar.

The look and feel theme of SMF is fairly well separated from the general forum code, mods tend to be able to cleanly install and uninstall without issue, some do mod more than others, that is for sure. Security updates are applied from the user control panel, and so are most minor updates I haven't had any mod conflicts from security updates, but I have seen a warning posted once or twice, but the impacted mods where quickly updated..
No server side work needed accept for proper forum, and db backups in case something goes wrong. Installing just about everything stays within the web interface.

My only argument on paper between SMF and myBB would be looking at the community support, portal support, and plugins available and how well maintained they are.

Other than the admin screens having some poor layout choices, SMF has been pain free to manage on the sites I have used it on.
I gave SMF and it's converter 3 times a try, and it crashed three times after around 30% and is because of it's structure hard to understand and debug. So we sticked with myBB where the conversion runs smoothly and was easily extendable to add missing features. And extending was really needed, because all converters for forums I found so far (including SMF and phpBB) only convert the basics like users, forums, threads, pms and posts, but no subscriptions, buddies, profile settings, user titles and so on - so I had to write some additional converter modules which was pretty straight forward for myBB where the converter was already modular. Also the overall structure of myBB is pretty close to vB so that links from external sites to us should still work (up to a certain degree).
jmarshall Wrote:Given that the open aspect is our highest priority, myBB seems to be the most appropriate option at this point.
I think you mean open was the only selection criteria.
As much as I trust your judgement and leadership with XBMC, you've been led astray with respect to MyBB. Decisions based on ideology not needs hurts your own OSS project. I think XBMC needs to re-think this forum migration.
ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
osirisjem Wrote:I think you mean open was the only selection criteria.
As much as I trust your judgement and leadership with XBMC, you've been led astray with respect to MyBB. Decisions based on ideology not needs hurts your own OSS project. I think XBMC needs to re-think this forum migration.

It might be the biggest reason for some, but it is far from the only reason. Other forum software costs money, for example. The one we use right now requires a license to be renewed again and again.

Don't let this thread fool you; this has been discussed for a looong time and every possible point has been brought up. We are at a point where we are not discussing if we are moving to a new forum software. We are, period.
How are things going on the switch?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Things are going well - da-anda has been doing great work getting the convertor scripts up and running and actually converting useful stuff across to the new system.

The forums will likely be taken down sometime in the next 24 hours and when they're back up again (hopefully not long!) they'll be all new and shiny Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

BOOM
Nice work guys!
Is there a mobile theme for smart phones with this new software?

where is zapy? a brand new forum without him? I miss him.
@BORIStheBLADE: tapatalk is installed but not yet enabled - I'm sure it will be hooked up shortly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Dudes! Love

Good job with this forum conversion! Even my subscribed threads are saved!
Kodi @ Windows Server 2012 R2 | Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter
Great job, this is much nicer!
Hi there

Alot of problems on your new website using an iPhone. When I zoom at the top of the page u have text overlap.
Also u have problems with the post meassage in portrait and landscape modes as there is alot of overlap there making it very hard to type which I am tryin to do now.

I would test your website on a iPhone as its impossible to use and your old site was fine.

Also when the page is still loading and you scroll to the bottem of the page it keeps reverting to the bottem and u can not read anything untill the page stops loading never did this on the old site u could still read a certin location on the site as its loading now u can not.

Great look to the new site I like it apart from them bugs.
Urgh... the old forum was much nicer and more readable... ;/
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This thread is for forum update discussion0