A BIG ThankYou....although still some teething problems
Can i just say THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone who has helped me as I've now managed to setup a reasonably secure media centre that does a good job of providing media on demand. I specially want to thank Rennie for his advice and support...cheers mate.

I still have some teething problems that I need to iron out, but i'm sure with your help, i'll solve these too:-

1. How can i setup the volume control on my VRC-1100 to control xbmc movies volume?

2. Rather than keep repeatedly asking which command corresponds to which key combination, is there a web link which shows what xbmc commands are which key combinations? I still need to setup a few more remote buttons to do certain commands.

3. I'm connected via HDMI. When watching a movie, if i press SUSPEND, xbmc will go into suspend mode, but when I RESUME, I get a blank screen. (as though display is not detected). If I did the same things whilst on the main home screen of xbmc, then i have no problems at all.
1. which operating system did you end up using? Getting the volume buttons to control the XBMC volume, rather than the system volume, requires different strategies for the different operating systems.

2. see https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...yboard.xml for the definitive list.

JR
Thanks for the keyboard commands list

I'm still using win 7, but XBMC has been setup to start as a SHELL.

I don't mind which volume goes up/down (system or xbmc) as long as it can control it. Whichever is easier...what do you recommend i do?
Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
notepad "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\appcommand.xml"

and click OK, and when you're propmted to create a new file answer Yes. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
      <volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

Close Notepad and save the changes.

These are my usual instructions, but it's possible that running XBMC as the shell might interfere with APPCOMMAND processing as I think Explorer plays some role in processing APPCOMMAND messages. If the above makes no difference I'll need to see a debug log with you pressing the up and down buttons a few times. You may need to configure XBMC to process the multimedia keypresses directly (which is easy).

JR
sorry for the delayed reply. i have tried your method of appcommand.xml, but as you had said, this does not work.

Quote:You may need to configure XBMC to process the multimedia keypresses directly (which is easy)

How do i do this?

thanks!
You need to configure an advanced setting. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml"

and click OK. I can't remember if you've already created an advancedsettings.xml. If you haven't, answer Yes when Notepad asks if you want to create a new file. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <loglevel>1</loglevel>
  <enablemultimediakeys>true</enablemultimediakeys>
</advancedsettings>

If you already have an advancedsettings.xml file just add:

Code:
<enablemultimediakeys>true</enablemultimediakeys>

above the closing </advancedsettings>. Close Notepad and save the changes. This configures XBMC to detect and process the multimedia keys directly.

JR
thanks for the xml coding mate. I didn't have an advancedsettings.xml file in the \userdata folder, so i created a new one and pasted the code. I then rebooted, but this has made no difference and the volume button still doesn't work.

If there is absolutely nothing else we can do in xbmc, is there any chance we can use autohotkeys script to enable the remote volume buttons instead?
Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Press the volume down button three times then the volume up button three times then close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
hi jhs mate,

as requested, here is the log:-

http://pastebin.com/FxiFREZa

I'm not 100% sure, but i think the bit you need is here:-

Quote:10:04:49 T:3736 M:1262198784 DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 9
10:04:49 T:3736 M:1262190592 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0, sym: 0, unicode: 0, modifier: 0
10:04:50 T:3736 M:1262252032 DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 9
10:04:50 T:3736 M:1262252032 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0, sym: 0, unicode: 0, modifier: 0
10:04:51 T:3736 M:1262600192 DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 9
10:04:51 T:3736 M:1262600192 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0, sym: 0, unicode: 0, modifier: 0
10:04:54 T:3736 M:1262657536 DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 10
10:04:54 T:3736 M:1262657536 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0, sym: 0, unicode: 0, modifier: 0
10:04:55 T:3736 M:1262727168 DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 10
10:04:55 T:3736 M:1262727168 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0, sym: 0, unicode: 0, modifier: 0
10:04:56 T:3736 M:1262739456 DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 10
10:04:56 T:3736 M:1262739456 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0, sym: 0, unicode: 0, modifier: 0

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I'M USING DHARMA 10.1, NOT EDEN!
Ah, it's always the obvious :-)

You've running XBMC v10.1 and the appcommand mapping only works in Eden. You'll need to upgrade to eden to make the volume buttons on the VRC-1100 control the volume in XBMC.

JR
Oh no! Your kidding me? I went for dharma as eden has that bug. Can I not use autohotkey to control the volume?

if I upgrade, then:

1. Has eden's freeze bug been fixed?

2. Will I lose all my xbmc settings?
You might want to leave it for now as the Eden release will (probably) be before the end of March. As for the freezing bug, I don't know what you mean by that: I'm currently using RC2 on my HTPC (the one I watch films on not the one I develop one) and it all seems to work fine.

You won't lose your settings, though if you use MySQL for the database you need to take a few precautions before upgrading.

JR
My main concern is saving ALL the settings that i have done on dharma whilst successfully upgrading to eden. I don't know what MySQL is, so I don't think it'll apply to me.

The bug i'm referring to is here:-

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123438

is this now fixed?
Bump!
(2012-02-27, 15:06)jhsrennie Wrote: Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
notepad "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\appcommand.xml"

and click OK, and when you're propmted to create a new file answer Yes. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
      <volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

Close Notepad and save the changes.

These are my usual instructions, but it's possible that running XBMC as the shell might interfere with APPCOMMAND processing as I think Explorer plays some role in processing APPCOMMAND messages. If the above makes no difference I'll need to see a debug log with you pressing the up and down buttons a few times. You may need to configure XBMC to process the multimedia keypresses directly (which is easy).

JR

Thanks mate. Helped me out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A BIG ThankYou....although still some teething problems0