[WINDOWS] Where to get PDB debug symbols for Eden Beta 3
Hey guys,

I downloaded this release:
http://mirror.netcologne.de/xbmc/release..._beta3.exe

I assume that thing was built by Visual Studio 2010. Any hint please where I can find the debug symbols (PDB) for that release?

Thank you.
You would have to contact whoever built that binary. Without downloading it I can't say, but if it is built as a release version you won't have debugging available to you regardless.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
It was the official build that I downloaded yesterday from the xbmc homepage. Today it says there are no more beta downloads till final release of Eden though.

So, a PDB file for the official win32 Eden Beta3 binary is really not available? Would be sad.
Maybe someone with a running VS2010 toolchain could provide an EXE file and the matching PDB?
EDIT:
A release build would be great since a debug build would link to the debug dlls of DX which I don't have. Smile

Nevertheless, even for release builds Visual Studio usually (if not explicitly deactivated) creates debug symbols to a separate file with the extension 'pdb'.
With that file it is possible to debug even release versions to some extent. At least you get the relation from assembler code to source code lines, making it possible to set breakpoints and step through the code. Sure, the debug possibilites are highly limited due to code optimization (like inlining) etc.
Well, my experience at least. Though I didnt debug XBMC myself yet Smile

Thanks!
Why don't you just build it yourself?
Libcmyth MythTV addon for xbmc-pvr [source] [forum thread]
Well, sounds stupid but I just had a really hard time installing VS2010 onto my notebook's SSD because my Windows partition has nearly no free disk space left. I managed to free up space until I could install VS2010 (even to another parition). I am not able to install SP1 for VS2010 though since it wants 3,8GB free disk space on the Windows partition (wtf?).

I think that I need the DirectX SDK to build XBMC but I am afraid installing DX SDK costs another heap of my limited disk space making it impossible to install it or impossible to install Windows Updates in the future.

My Windows partition has a size of 25GB. There is no user folder anymore, no temp folder, no pagefile, no hibernate file. Windows still managed to fill up the entire space within not even 2 years No Well, sorry, thats another story I guess...
yes the pleasure of a small SSD. I use symbolic links(Link shell extensions makes it easy to create them) a lot to overcome the problems with the ever growing windows directory on my primary 80 GB SSD drive. Do you use the express edition? It doesn't take that much space up if you only install c++.
Libcmyth MythTV addon for xbmc-pvr [source] [forum thread]
The buildbot might have the PDB's about, but I'm fairly sure all win32 builds done are release anyway. I'll try and remember to ask next time the buildbot maestro is around.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

tsp42 Wrote:yes the pleasure of a small SSD. I use symbolic links(Link shell extensions makes it easy to create them) a lot to overcome the problems with the ever growing windows directory on my primary 80 GB SSD drive. Do you use the express edition? It doesn't take that much space up if you only install c++.
Thanks I will take a look into that. I read that Windows is capable of doing symbolic links nowadays but I did not use them yet. I guess its just a matter of time until Windows grabs the last free bits of my partition, so I will have to give it a shot sooner or later....

jmarshall Wrote:The buildbot might have the PDB's about, but I'm fairly sure all win32 builds done are release anyway. I'll try and remember to ask next time the buildbot maestro is around.
Thanks, that would be nice. I still think debugging the relase version should not be a problem (while being not as comfortable as debugging a debug build).
I am afraid downloading a debug build of XBMC wont cut it for me since it will probably be linked against the debug DLLs of DX also which I currently dont have so I would not be able to start it (unless hacking the exe or some other naughty stuff).
Ok, I compiled it myself, no need for PDB files anymore. Thanks anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Where to get PDB debug symbols for Eden Beta 30