Network Question
Hi, so I just built myself a new HTPC for my downstairs rec room, and she will be going into a new Pioneer Vsx-1021k receiver. The receiver has networking built in. Problem is, my router is upstairs. I have a cable running down there through the wall, but now I will need to split that cable to the pc and the receiver. I know I can't just use a splitter, but I would like to know if I can take that cable (that is coming out of my router upstairs, connected with cable modem) and plug it into a.....? Hub? Switch? just something cheap and simple that will assign each machine an ip add.

Thanks In advance.
A hub or switch is what you're after. It's worth noting though that the hub/switch will not assign an ip address. That will still be done by your router. The function of a hub or switch is just to expand the available ports on your router
I see, thanks!
Here are some cheap switches for you to choose what will fit your needs.
Cheap switches
Just for your info but I would assume your router is already handing out IP's. Adding a switch will connect to the router and let the router handle the job of IP's.
Because you are only running two two systems, a switch or hub will work fine.

Since switches are just as cheap nowadays, heck I don't even see hubs anymore. Go buy yourself a unmanaged switch. Plug it in and off you go.
Thanks all...grabbed newegg's $20 gigabit switch..should do the trick. Now need to get a gigabit router....5 pcs and lots of Terra bytes all over the house Smile
If you want to go super ghetto, ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 wires for transmission and receipt of data, so you can actually split the one line in to two by cutting off the heads and crimping new terminators onto the appropriate wire pairs or by purchasing a splitter (such as this or this depending on your setup) for each end.

Of course it isn't really recommended to do so, but it works in a pinch.
I recommend the Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...p%20g300nh

I couldn't be happier with mine. It's fully supported by OpenWRT and has plenty of RAM and storage. I can stream 1080p without issue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network Question0