ATV2 upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.4.4?
I've had XBMC on my ATV2 for quite some time now. I'm currently using firmware 4.2.1. I'm using Darwin 10.4.0 still on my ATV2. I haven't dabbled in the beta or the newly released RC1. My XBMC is stable and is working great for me. I don't have access to enabling 16 bit sound from the ATV2 menu which I was looking to do for AC3 sound support (I'm not sure if this has to do with firmware or just my setup). Regardless though I want to be ready for Eden when it goes stable and want to know if I should upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.4.4? If so, I want to do this before Eden is released and work out any kinks I may have on my end with the firmware or getting it flashed and ready.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Are you checking for the 16-bit sound setting from the ATV2 FrontRow settings menu, NOT the XBMC settings? Also iOS 4.4.4 (iOS 5) seems to use more resources so it gives less to XBMC, if you can stay on 4.2.1 then it is recommended.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
deanmv Wrote:Are you checking for the 16-bit sound setting from the ATV2 FrontRow settings menu, NOT the XBMC settings? Also iOS 4.4.4 (iOS 5) seems to use more resources so it gives less to XBMC, if you can stay on 4.2.1 then it is recommended.

Thanks for the reply. I am checking for the 16-bit sound setting from the ATV2 FrontRow settings menu. I wasn't aware that it used more resources. I'm fine with 4.2.1 and my ATV2 is running fine I just didn't know if there was anything to gain feature wise with the newer firmware or something in Eden that was firmware dependent on a certain version.
I think it's Settings tab -> Audio and Video not the actual settings menu (took me a while as I missed the audio and video button) and you get iCloud etc. but that is only if you are interested in the Apple side of it, apart from that I don't see any reason to update. XBMC works fine on 4.2.1. I only updated for the iTunes Match feature and was running 4.2.1 before that since I had my Apple TV.
Set Up
Stay on 4.2.1 ... ac3 is 16bit on that version already (thats why there is no option). If passthrough is not working for you - it must have other causes ...

@deanmv - ios 4.2.1 doesn't have the 16bit option ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the responses. Good to hear about the 16 bit setting. Glad I've stuck with 4.2.1 this long and I'll stick with it. Thanks again
Memphiz Wrote:Stay on 4.2.1 ... ac3 is 16bit on that version already (thats why there is no option). If passthrough is not working for you - it must have other causes ...

@deanmv - ios 4.2.1 doesn't have the 16bit option ...

Ah! Sorry to mislead! I thought it did, my bad.
Set Up

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.4.4?0