Disable XBMC specific volume control
Since I got Eden (I think) I have been very disturbed by one new "feature":

The forced (?) used of XBMC specific volume control when using media keys on my keyboard to lower/heighten the volume.

Because the XBMC specific volume control only allows you to lower the volume Stare

So if I want to heighten the volume, I need to tab out, heighten it, and then tab in again.

Is it possible to disable this annoying feature that shouldn't be on for the Windows version?
Hi toxicious, I don't really understand the problem. Are you saying that the volume down key on your keyboards changes the XBMC volume but the volume up key doesn't?

To see what's going on we need a debug log. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Press the volume down key three times, then press the volume up key three times, then close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here. The log will show what signals XBMC received and what it did with them.

JR
http://pastebin.com/1LWkHLuG

That is what happens when I scroll the volume up/down wheel on my keyboard.
What I mean is that the action "VolumeUp" and "VolumeDown" should lower/heighten the system volume on my computer. It handles the volume itself instead, which should only be done on HTPC's and such. Not on computers running XBMC as a side software.
The key entries in your log are:

Code:
DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 10
DEBUG: CApplication::OnAppCommand: appcommand 10, trying action VolumeUp
DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 9
DEBUG: CApplication::OnAppCommand: appcommand 9, trying action VolumeDown

These show that XBMC is handling the appcommands.

You're not the first person to report that XBMC is now handling appcommands, but why this is happening I'm not sure. By default XBMC will not handle appcommand messages. It will only do so if there is a configuration file somewhere that tells it to. Was this an upgrade from v10.1?

JR
Oh well that is interesting. Yep I upgraded from 10.1.
If I can be of any use to solve it, I would gladly help Smile
this might be a stupid question, but are you using advancedsettings.xml?
feerlessleadr Wrote:this might be a stupid question, but are you using advancedsettings.xml?

OMFG WHAT A STUPID QUESTION?!?!?!?!?

haha no just kidding, you'll never know with a user base like XBMCs. Yeah I am using it Nod

But I don't have much in it, just the db stuff, cleanonupdate, ipv6 enabled and an exclude from scan pattern.
toxicious Wrote:OMFG WHAT A STUPID QUESTION?!?!?!?!?

haha no just kidding, you'll never know with a user base like XBMCs. Yeah I am using it Nod

But I don't have much in it, just the db stuff, cleanonupdate, ipv6 enabled and an exclude from scan pattern.

lol, yea the reason I asked is because I have the xbmc volume mapped to specific number keys in there. wasn't sure if you had something similar
To make XBMC process the volume appcommand messages there must be a mapping file somewhere containing something like:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
      <volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

The XML files can be in two locations, C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps or %APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps. You can search these locations by opening a command prompt and using the commands:

Code:
find /I "volume_down" "C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps\*.xml"
find /I "volume_down" "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\*.xml"

Note that if you use 64 bit Windows the first command has to be:

Code:
find /I "volume_down" "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps\*.xml"

The "find" command behaves a bit oddly if it can't find any files in the location you specify. In that case it just hangs, so if this happens just press ctrl-C to abort it.

You should find at least one match i.e.

Code:
---------- C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\XBMC\SYSTEM\KEYMAPS\KEYBOARD.XML
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>

This is because keyboard.xml contains a mapping for the voulme_down multimedia keypress. This isn't used in Windows so it won't be causing the problem.

JR
Yeah I found that match, keyboard.xml, but no others :/
All I can suggest is to uninstall XBMC (don't tick the option to remove the profile folder) then manually delete C:\Program Files\XBMC if the uninstall doesn't remove it. Now install Eden RC1 or whatever version you want. If this fixes the problem it must have been something in the program folder. If it doesn't fix the problem it must be something in your profile.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:All I can suggest is to uninstall XBMC (don't tick the option to remove the profile folder) then manually delete C:\Program Files\XBMC if the uninstall doesn't remove it. Now install Eden RC1 or whatever version you want. If this fixes the problem it must have been something in the program folder. If it doesn't fix the problem it must be something in your profile.

JR

You made my week Laugh
Now it works as it should. Yeah it must have been a leftover from one of the early Eden nightlies maybe (had those installed).
toxicious Wrote:You made my week Laugh
Now it works as it should. Yeah it must have been a leftover from one of the early Eden nightlies maybe (had those installed).

Aha, good. If anyone else reports the problem I'll know where to look.

It's still odd that you couldn't find anything in the XML files. Oh well ...

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disable XBMC specific volume control0