The new ATV(3?) for devs
Hi,

it's more and more likely that Apple will introduce a new Apple TV next week.

The buzz around the new Apple TV is that it will be able to process 1080(p/i) content and will contain a multi core processor.

In anticipation of the announcement and availability, I was wondering if we can raise some extra funds for the devs, so, if the new ATV will become available, they can buy the new 'shiny things' and 'see' if it can run XBMC!

So a few donations will help a lot, and I'm guessing they would need about 5 of them to start with, totalling up to an initial $500.

What do you think?

TIA!!
Before any of us could dig into it we have to ensure that its jailbreakable. This is nothing we from Team XBMC are into. We depend on the Jailbreaking Devs here. Just for preventing trashed money Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Before any of us could dig into it we have to ensure that its jailbreakable. This is nothing we from Team XBMC are into. We depend on the Jailbreaking Devs here. Just for preventing trashed money Wink

It wouldn't be enough to have a developer account?
mylle Wrote:It wouldn't be enough to have a developer account?

Nope, in order to do anything like this it first has to be jailbroken. It could be months before a jailbreak is released depending on which chip apple decides to use.
Developer account isn't enough ... no xbmc on ios without jailbreak ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I bet this one will be tough to jailbreak
Jailbreaking is about the OS right? Says nothing about the hardware and prepare. Without the new device, how can you experiment?
pooh Wrote:Jailbreaking is about the OS right? Says nothing about the hardware and prepare. Without the new device, how can you experiment?

without it jailbroken, they can't develop anyways.
I'm assuming that it will only be a matter of time before it's jailbroken, just like every other iOS device before it. Once it's jailbroken, would it be difficult do get XBMC to run on a new apple chip? Was getting XBMC to run on the A5 difficult, or was it the same code that ran on the A4, just running on a fast processor?
eliehass Wrote:I'm assuming that it will only be a matter of time before it's jailbroken, just like every other iOS device before it. Once it's jailbroken, would it be difficult do get XBMC to run on a new apple chip? Was getting XBMC to run on the A5 difficult, or was it the same code that ran on the A4, just running on a fast processor?

Fair assumption... it took about 3 months for the iPhone 4s jailbreak so probably won't be too much different for the atv3 (especially if it uses an A5 processor)... but you never know.

Seems like there was little to no delay between the iPad2/i4S jailbreaks and XBMC running on them, i.e. the jailbreak will be the biggest issue. Since the A4/A5 will be binary compatible with whatever lands in the atv3, it shouldn't be a big deal to tweak XBMC... but you never know... they could change some major items that may slow down XBMC's readiness for the atv3.

In summary, in 3-4 months we should all be enjoying our jailbroken Apple TV 3s running XBMC... or not... you never know.
Jailbreaking is more about the ios version ... not about the hardware it runs on...
I hope the jailbreak doesn't take long on the new atv3.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The new ATV(3?) for devs0