[MUSIC] Album tagging question
HI guys, here's quick one.
i got 4 albums of this Artist named SKRiLLEX

they are all IDtag'ed properly. (year / artist / title / so on ...)
Now, i always use the MUSIC section with all my albums classified by year.

And issue is, i should see those 4 albums one after the other like --> 1 2 3 4
just as windows explorer lists them.
but instead, in XBMC (library mode), i see --> 1 2 4 3

now im thinking that since album 3 & 4 are both from yr 2011,
that XBMC (library mode) simply from there lists in alphabetical order.
hence why the album 4 appears before album 3 in my MUSIC section...

Question, is there a way to workaround this issue?
and have the albums appear correctly one after the other like --> 1 2 3 4 ??
instead of --> 1 2 4 3 ??

thank you Smile
Is your sort setting on alphabetical (title) or date? Maybe check the mp3 tags and see what the dates show there.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
i use MP3tag app for windows.
all MP3's have correct year stat, i've triple checked.

again, since album 3 & 4 are both from yr 2011,
XBMC (in library mode) simply lists in alphabetical order.

hence why the album 4 appears before album 3 in my MUSIC section...
i need a workaround for this issue..
I guess since the years are equal it then sorts by name, and obviously it wouldn't want month/day in the year tag. Only thing I can think of is replace the "B" in "Bangarang" with a "Ɓ" (ASCII 181 - use Character Map in Windows or use ALT-0181) Smile
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
see the tags here

album 3

album 4

i need to find out how to tweak the 'year' column
so that XBMC reads the year tag correctly and puts the Banarang' EP album
after the More Monster and Sprites album and not before...

there's got to be a way to tag the yr properly ...
cant believe anyone hasn't run into such a thing...

many artist have released 2 albums during the same year...
Actually you're the first I've seen use a full date format! I use mp3tag as my first tagging solution and always just get the year.

The date tag must get parsed to year somewhere for skin display as no skin I've seen displays more, but it isn't in the tag loading code that I can see, no am I sure the skin coders would want a full date.

Is it really that annoying or common that the workaround suggested above won't do?
yeah its annoying.
many artist have released 2 albums during the same year.

i like my stuff organized properly.
i tried that 'full date' tag to see if XBMC would pick it up and 'order' them correctly.
and it didnt.

i dont mind just seeing '2011' ...
i just wanted my albums sorted by year properly like i've described in 1st post.

there's got to be a way
I even tried setting a year to 1997.2 and it gets parsed to an integer. Would take a patch to use a full date. Given all that's underway I'm not sure you're gonna find a taker for that one easily Sad
i tried many setting for the year tag...

2011_06_07
2011/06/07
2011 06 07
2011a

only the first 4 digits are picked up by XBMC.
but again, many artist have released 2 albums during the same year.

weird no one ever talk about this limitation in XBMC...
On the face of it it may not be a big deal to implement, but things can get sticky fast when the skins come into play.

BTW, I'm officially retiring my Anal-Retentive Librarian title Wink Sorry I could not resist that! Smile
temporary workaround for anyone in this situation
with an artist who released 2 albums during the same year,
is of course to edit the name of 1 of the albums (using MP3tag).

Since this is the order that the albums appear in XBMC
when sorting them by YEAR

to have the More Monster and Sprites album appear in #3
i simply renamed it --> 'More Monster and Sprites'

thanks to the apostrophes --> ' '
and since XBMC (in library mode) lists the albums in alphabetical order,
the More Monster and Sprites album is forced to appear before the Bangarang' EP album
even tho they are from the same year..

but i definitely would like a proper fix though.
im not liking this too much :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MUSIC] Album tagging question0