Solved Aeon Nox slow
I know, it's hard to see in the video. The slided in info page really looks jerky. It's not that smooth/fluid like in the previous version. I manually downclocked my cpu to check this behaviour more exactly. The jerkiness increases immediately. So, in my opinion it's cpu related. Maybe a i3-530 is too slow for really perfect smoothness in "shift".
(2012-06-09, 09:07)romeon Wrote: I know, it's hard to see in the video. The slided in info page really looks jerky. It's not that smooth/fluid like in the previous version. I manually downclocked my cpu to check this behaviour more exactly. The jerkiness increases immediately. So, in my opinion it's cpu related. Maybe a i3-530 is too slow for really perfect smoothness in "shift".

i don´t believe that. my cpu is worse and nothing is jerky here.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
I also noticed 3.x being sluggish. I rolled back to 2.x and holy crap, 2.0 is soooo much faster and more responsive. My system is a Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz so it's no slouch. I also run my OS (Windows 7 SP1) and XBMC from my SSD drive so that can't be the problem.

My main problems with 3.x were random lock ups and very high CPU usage when playing music in the background. I don't know if the visualization (Milkdrop) or the album/artist scrolling info was causing the increased CPU activity during music playback.
(2012-06-16, 04:45)paco Wrote: I also noticed 3.x being sluggish. I rolled back to 2.x and holy crap, 2.0 is soooo much faster and more responsive. My system is a Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz so it's no slouch. I also run my OS (Windows 7 SP1) and XBMC from my SSD drive so that can't be the problem.

My main problems with 3.x were random lock ups and very high CPU usage when playing music in the background. I don't know if the visualization (Milkdrop) or the album/artist scrolling info was causing the increased CPU activity during music playback.

hehe... half says better, half says worse. don´t know what i should believe Big Grin
i´m havin a worse cpu and things run fluently..
did you try the GIT version? i made some changes to home area, would be interested if it improves things noticeably for you.
concerning lock-ups: please post debug logs.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
how does one use the git versions of the skin?

clone the repo, and replace ~/.xbmc/addons/skin.aeon.nox ?

Cheers,
(2012-06-17, 02:17)WillUK2010 Wrote: how does one use the git versions of the skin?

clone the repo, and replace ~/.xbmc/addons/skin.aeon.nox ?

Cheers,

correct. it will use seperate settings, so you can return without problems.
For all those having speed issues you might want to check your hardware setup.

A friend of mine was having issues of a similar nature and his rig is an upgrade on mine ( better APU ). Now the first thing I checked on his machine is what I always look at first when machines run slow. And after reconfiguring his machine it ran like a rocket.

BIOS

- correct timings on ram
- ram running at max speed
- shared memory on APU's

SSD's

- make sure the ssd's partition is aligned for maximum performance..see link
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/ssd-s...weaks-3319

DRIVERS

- Chipset drivers installed
- latest gpu drivers
I have been doing some testing with this skin and coming from the older v2 skin on Dharma I noticed a huge slow down to the point it would take about 5 minutes just to load PsuedoTV and other plugins.

My laptop is pretty underpowered but for testing it does the trick and ran the older skin and Dharma just fine.

I found that if I opened XBMC and left it for 15 minutes it started running fine but after startup it was completely unusable.

I started doing research and pulling things apart. I disabled ALL widgets on the home screen, disabled the Next Aired script and removed the WatchList script and it improved the performance by at least 70%. I also disabled background animation and the smoke effect and that has again improved it.

In regards to the menu scrolling being sluggish one thing I did to improve this area was to NOT set the background image to "Fanart" or similar, just set to single/multi image. This prevented a sluggish pause especially when scrolling past the Music menu.

I have been finding that the weather script (tested with Wunder Underground, Oz Weather and Weather Plus) cause slow downs until the script is "allowed" to load. There seems to be, for me at least, something that prevents the script to load for a period at startup which causes slow performance.

When I go back to the confleunce skin it loads and operates very quick and snappy.

I love the home screen widgets and the nice features and have been using exclusively the Aeon Nox skin for 2 years now on my HTPC machines but the widgets are useless if they cause this much slowdown which is a shame. I must also stress I am using a multi-system install with SQL but should also stress that I have 2 SQL tables (for dharma and eden since I am still testing eden for replacement of dharma) and Dharma is very smooth and snappy which I am yet to find with eden and Nox in the same way. Will have to test a newer build for comparison since I am using the repo version at the moment.
(2012-07-19, 03:22)phsyraxion Wrote: I have been doing some testing with this skin and coming from the older v2 skin on Dharma I noticed a huge slow down to the point it would take about 5 minutes just to load PsuedoTV and other plugins.

My laptop is pretty underpowered but for testing it does the trick and ran the older skin and Dharma just fine.

I found that if I opened XBMC and left it for 15 minutes it started running fine but after startup it was completely unusable.

I started doing research and pulling things apart. I disabled ALL widgets on the home screen, disabled the Next Aired script and removed the WatchList script and it improved the performance by at least 70%. I also disabled background animation and the smoke effect and that has again improved it.

In regards to the menu scrolling being sluggish one thing I did to improve this area was to NOT set the background image to "Fanart" or similar, just set to single/multi image. This prevented a sluggish pause especially when scrolling past the Music menu.

I have been finding that the weather script (tested with Wunder Underground, Oz Weather and Weather Plus) cause slow downs until the script is "allowed" to load. There seems to be, for me at least, something that prevents the script to load for a period at startup which causes slow performance.

When I go back to the confleunce skin it loads and operates very quick and snappy.

I love the home screen widgets and the nice features and have been using exclusively the Aeon Nox skin for 2 years now on my HTPC machines but the widgets are useless if they cause this much slowdown which is a shame. I must also stress I am using a multi-system install with SQL but should also stress that I have 2 SQL tables (for dharma and eden since I am still testing eden for replacement of dharma) and Dharma is very smooth and snappy which I am yet to find with eden and Nox in the same way. Will have to test a newer build for comparison since I am using the repo version at the moment.

so what are you expecting for an answer now? we always said that nox isn´t designed for low-powered platforms, especially when makin full use of widgets etc. if it doesn´t perform well enough just use something else. there are also other good skins out there. the vast majority is very happy with the performance (in fact some say that it performs even better than previous versions)
Please don't take my comments the wrong way I appreciate the work and donate where possible but I think you have confused asking a question with providing details... I wasn't asking for anything here but I thought since I was experiencing exactly the same issues as the other users here have I would post what DID cause my issues and how I have made it operate quicker. If you are a user that has your HTPC on all day and never switches off XBMC then yes, as I pointed out it runs ok after left for a while on startup. But if you have a multi-purpose HTPC that does other things other than just use XBMC then you do have slowdown issues on start IF you decide to use any pimp features such as widgets and animations which wasn't as much of a case on past versions.

Perhaps user input isn't as valued for this skin as others so I might just step back again and look at the other skins as suggested.

Thanks.

(2012-07-19, 07:58)phsyraxion Wrote: Please don't take my comments the wrong way I appreciate the work and donate where possible but I think you have confused asking a question with providing details... I wasn't asking for anything here but I thought since I was experiencing exactly the same issues as the other users here have I would post what DID cause my issues and how I have made it operate quicker. If you are a user that has your HTPC on all day and never switches off XBMC then yes, as I pointed out it runs ok after left for a while on startup. But if you have a multi-purpose HTPC that does other things other than just use XBMC then you do have slowdown issues on start IF you decide to use any pimp features such as widgets and animations which wasn't as much of a case on past versions.

Perhaps user input isn't as valued for this skin as others so I might just step back again and look at the other skins as suggested.

Thanks.

it should be obvious that the skin needs more performance when it has to show x different thumbs at once.
one of your suggestions was to deactive a setting which is labelled with "can increase cpu usage"... :/
and the comment about user input is just lame, i won´t get into that.
FIXED
Been having same speed Issues and it turns out that everything was related to the following add-on:

C:\..\..\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.randomitems

Just remove this from the directory and see CPU usage drop.

Quote:Script Info:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<addon id="script.randomitems" name="Random Items script" version="3.1.7" provider-name="Hitcher, ronie, phil65, Martijn">
<requires>
<import addon="xbmc.python" version="2.0"/>
<import addon="script.module.elementtree" version="1.2.7"/>
<import addon="script.module.simplejson" version="2.0.10"/>
</requires>
<extension point="xbmc.python.library" library="RandomItems.py" />
<extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
<language/>
<summary lang="en">Random Items script</summary>
<description lang="en">Script to get Random Videos and Music from the database.</description>
<platform>all</platform>
</extension>
</addon>
In Frodo, script.randomitems is removed (as is the watchlist one) and replaced by a much better one (in my opinion). You'll definitely notice the speed increase.
This is an old thread I started, and a lot has happened since then. Frodo and Gotham happened and HW has improved! I will set it to status "Solved Issue" Smile
The Real Skimshady

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox slow0