XBMC on Synology NAS?
Hi
I have tried to find a thread that answers this but without success. Is it possible to install and run XBMC on a Synology DS 411+ II NAS? If so, can someone guide me to a page that describes how it works?

Thanks in advance!
[Joke]
I would like to know how you attach your tv to the synology?
[/Joke]

the purpose of a NAS is to store files, not to watch/read/play them
so it is not possible to install xbmc on your ds411
My name is Erier, Humf Erier
I can image a use case for this, but I think the answer is still you can't unless you compile XBMC from source and getting running on whatever OS the NAS uses. If you could get it running on the NAS (as well as mySQL), you could have the NAS instance of XBMC do all the library updates as new content is added to the NAS and then have client XBMC instances that are more dumb player than anything.
Most Synologys have an arm cpu. Once xbmc matured on ARM and once XBMC has a client/server architecture (or the headless patches) this could become a use case scenario. Maybe in a year or so.....

By then you probably have synologys with HDMI.
humferier Wrote:[Joke]
[/Joke]

I disagree. Synology has DNLA functionality, but their Media Server is lousy. IF it had been good, I would connect my TV to the network and stream movies from the NAS to the TV.

What I want to do is replace the built-in media server with one that works, I have tested TvMobili and Plex but not yet reached full functionality.

Logitech Media Server is the one who has worked the best but it is very unstable.
Aros Wrote:I disagree. Synology has DNLA functionality, but their Media Server is lousy. IF it had been good, I would connect my TV to the network and stream movies from the NAS to the TV.

What I want to do is replace the built-in media server with one that works, I have tested TvMobili and Plex but not yet reached full functionality.

Logitech Media Server is the one who has worked the best but it is very unstable.

again.. XBMC is not a media server, it's a media player. if you're looking for a dlna server that may work, look into serviio perhaps.
(2012-03-01, 16:50)Aros Wrote:
humferier Wrote:[Joke]
[/Joke]

I disagree. Synology has DNLA functionality, but their Media Server is lousy. IF it had been good, I would connect my TV to the network and stream movies from the NAS to the TV.

Honestly you don't know what you're talking about. The Synology media server is awesome and fast. Where people run into problems is they exceed the capabilities of SMB shares by trying to stream Bluray over it instead of using DLNA which works just fine. There are data transfer rate limitations on shares (by design and NOT Synology's issue)) apparently nobody reads the specs before trying it. Let us also not forget the yahoos who seem to think they can buy a $25 router and get it to stream reliably ...no...it doesn't work that way....get the proper equipment and a decent media streaming appliance(s) and do things right and your Synology will do you right every time. Cut corners or just be a noob about it and yes you will be very unhappy.

I stream movies all over my network from both of my Synology units both standard and bluray and have no problems at all...
(2012-04-30, 15:52)ispgeek Wrote: Honestly you don't know what you're talking about. The Synology media server is awesome and fast. Where people run into problems is they exceed the capabilities of SMB shares by trying to stream Bluray over it instead of using DLNA which works just fine. There are data transfer rate limitations on shares (by design and NOT Synology's issue)) apparently nobody reads the specs before trying it. Let us also not forget the yahoos who seem to think they can buy a $25 router and get it to stream reliably ...no...it doesn't work that way....get the proper equipment and a decent media streaming appliance(s) and do things right and your Synology will do you right every time. Cut corners or just be a noob about it and yes you will be very unhappy.

I stream movies all over my network from both of my Synology units both standard and bluray and have no problems at all...

XBMC is runnning on Synology DS412....! I do not test it yet! Smile
I have a Synology Disk station and love it. the purpose of it though is to store files, not run XBMC. However, it does have internal support for Plex Media Server. I've been meaning to try it just to see how it stacks up to XBMC.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Synology NAS?0