Windows 8
Anyone using XBMC with Windows 8 preview yet? Also, is the Windows 8 media center a good alternative to XBMC or is it still crap?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Thanks for the reminder, will try it as soon as possible. XBMC should work as normal as it does in the developers preview.
XBMC installs and runs without issue on the consumer preview. I haven't had a chance to run a bunch of videos through it, but so far no issues.

Media Center in the consumer preview is basically the same as in Win 7.
I'm having some problems with the Consumer preview and xbmc. Occasionally the audio will drop out and the video will continue to play fine, other times the video buffer will mess up and it plays back at like 2 fps. This happens after I pause a file or sometimes it starts like that from the beginning. Usually this is fixed by hitting skip back or just restarting the file. Not sure what is going on. I have a ati 5450 and I downloaded the Windows 8 specific drivers on their website. Never had any problems with Win 7.
It runs fine on the consumer preview, but when I run it as a startup application, it all goes to hell. I get a fullscreen xbmc which doesn't respond to anything. I need to ctrl-alt-del to run the taskmanager (which I can't see because xbmc is running fullscreen), then I need to alt-tab to put the focus on xbmc again and THEN I have control of my keyboard in xbmc.

After that all works fine, I can put xbmc to sleep and wake it without issues.
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
Yeah I'm not seeing with XBMC. I'm stayingwith Win 7 until I know 100% it's working fine with Win 8. EVen then, why bother if XBMC is basically my OS? ;-)
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
patseguin Wrote:Yeah I'm not seeing with XBMC. I'm stayingwith Win 7 until I know 100% it's working fine with Win 8. EVen then, why bother if XBMC is basically my OS? ;-)

Why? Because you can Laugh

The startup time is amazing!!!
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
I have been having issues, mainly with streaming videos, Local videos work fine but once in a while Streaming videos (youtube, Canada on Demand) The framerate will just drop and be unplayable, no issues on win7. I think it may be my video drivers, Just has the Microsoft drivers for my HD 3000. I will update them to the newest 7 version from intel and see if that helps.

EDIT: After putting on the most recent Intel Drivers for the HD 3000, Everything plays the way it did before.
I havn't come across any problem at all with XBMC 11.0 RC2 and Windows 8 x86 Developer Preview (Runs as a VM).
Kodi 17.0 Krypton, Win10 running on an ASRock ION 330HT HTPC
DanLongman Wrote:I have been having issues, mainly with streaming videos, Local videos work fine but once in a while Streaming videos (youtube, Canada on Demand) The framerate will just drop and be unplayable, no issues on win7. I think it may be my video drivers, Just has the Microsoft drivers for my HD 3000. I will update them to the newest 7 version from intel and see if that helps.

EDIT: After putting on the most recent Intel Drivers for the HD 3000, Everything plays the way it did before.

I'm having the same issues on both local files and streaming. The framerate will drop to 2-3 fps and the audio will drop out at random times. I did an upgrade to Win 8 so I'm going to do a clean install instead and see if that fixes the problem. If not I'm going back to Win 7 for now.
StinDaWg Wrote:I'm having some problems with the Consumer preview and xbmc. Occasionally the audio will drop out and the video will continue to play fine, other times the video buffer will mess up and it plays back at like 2 fps. This happens after I pause a file or sometimes it starts like that from the beginning. Usually this is fixed by hitting skip back or just restarting the file. Not sure what is going on. I have a ati 5450 and I downloaded the Windows 8 specific drivers on their website. Never had any problems with Win 7.

I saw the same symptoms too after upgrading to 8. I too have the Radeon 5450, although I've seen another post in this thread with the same symptoms but a different card. I find the audible clicks when maneuvering the menus often go missing, yet the sound usually comes back when I start to play a video. Also, like you, sometimes I'll start to play and the video will be very stuttery, with a second or two lag on the audio. Also the extremely slow playback, during which the mouse and remote control will be very slow to respond. Then exit the program, start again, and all will be fine.
(2012-03-11, 03:03)mfarmilo Wrote:
StinDaWg Wrote:I'm having some problems with the Consumer preview and xbmc. Occasionally the audio will drop out and the video will continue to play fine, other times the video buffer will mess up and it plays back at like 2 fps. This happens after I pause a file or sometimes it starts like that from the beginning. Usually this is fixed by hitting skip back or just restarting the file. Not sure what is going on. I have a ati 5450 and I downloaded the Windows 8 specific drivers on their website. Never had any problems with Win 7.

I saw the same symptoms too after upgrading to 8. I too have the Radeon 5450, although I've seen another post in this thread with the same symptoms but a different card. I find the audible clicks when maneuvering the menus often go missing, yet the sound usually comes back when I start to play a video. Also, like you, sometimes I'll start to play and the video will be very stuttery, with a second or two lag on the audio. Also the extremely slow playback, during which the mouse and remote control will be very slow to respond. Then exit the program, start again, and all will be fine.

I reinstalled and still have the same problems. It doesn't appear to be an issue solely with xbmc because I get the same random dropouts in mpc-hc and wmc. The play/pause on the remote will also stop working but I can still skip. I'm *this* close to going back to Win 7 and waiting for final release of Win 8 as this issue is almost making the OS unusable. Hopefully ATI releases a driver update shortly or I will be forced to leave for now.

(2012-03-12, 08:54)StinDaWg Wrote:
(2012-03-11, 03:03)mfarmilo Wrote:

I reinstalled and still have the same problems. It doesn't appear to be an issue solely with xbmc because I get the same random dropouts in mpc-hc and wmc. The play/pause on the remote will also stop working but I can still skip. I'm *this* close to going back to Win 7 and waiting for final release of Win 8 as this issue is almost making the OS unusable. Hopefully ATI releases a driver update shortly or I will be forced to leave for now.

I suspect it's not an ATI driver thing, as others have reported this with Nvidia cards. I've not seen it (yet) with other media players, but XBMC very often loses the sound effects with sound coming back again once I play a file. To my mind it's a Win8 thing and it's pushing me too far. XBMC is the main thing I run on this machine so I can't really afford to have Win8 screw it up. The Metro disaster I can probably learn to live with, but this is too much.
I replaced my windows vista with windows 8 consumer preview dual booting with Ubuntu on my desktop and made a second partition with windows 8 on my laptop dual booting with windows 7 and xbmc works perfect, only grip was that I could not run AutoHotKey scripts in XBMC while running it as an admin...which seemed odd but not a deal breaker...as for the new WMC...its a nicer easier and more feature full WMC than windows 7...but not half as good as XBMC...altho I do use WMC to record my tv and watch live tv. All in all no real problems...updating OSs was simple, fast, and easy...and 8 is much faster than 7 from what I can see in my laptop...not to mention simple changes such as a nicer dualboot screen, and a 8 sec boot time...yes 8 secs with a 1 Tb hdd...not a ssd and with a Os like windows 8 i dont see a reason to buy one anymore
I have had the same issue with Windows 8 Consumer preview and have "developed" a work around. Intermittently upon starting, pausing, or skipping back and forth in a video the audio will cut out and the video will start playing at an incredibly slow rate, maybe taking three to four times as long to play frames as it should. I have upgraded all my machines to W8CP and this happens on all of them, ATI and Nvidia alike. Restarting as someone mentioned earlier will usually fix the problem but I have found that just continuing to seek 30 seconds back and forth will correct the issue after several attempts. When the problem arises I tend to hit the left and right arrow to jump back and forth 30 seconds at a time and the problem tends to correct itself after two or three attempts but sometimes takes more. Of course this is not a real solution as this will let the video play as usual but any future seek or pause operation runs the risk of causing the bug all over again with the same corrective measures required.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 80