Windows 8
I just installed windows 8 on my HTPC and its working great using my nyxboard remote. Having the windows key programmed to the remote made it 10x better because now I can use a lot of things from windows and flash between start and XBMC very quickly. I like it more than Windows 7 already for the HTPC. Heres a video I made quick of what mine looks like. Keep in mind this is my first day with Windows 8 and I just installed XBMC so its stock right now, I haven't even added my media collection yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4PvCg5gIIs
I have the Nyxboard too. How did you program the Windows key to do that?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I used a program called sharpkeys and I mapped the windows key to the EPG button and then I mapped the tab key to the USER button. I added tab to the user key because when opening some of the apps you haven't selected anything yet. Pressing the tab key will select something so you can start to navigate through the app via your Nyxboard. Idk Windows 8 seems like it will be a sick HTPC OS but controlling it through keys on the remote is kinda limited. Here's the link to the program I used.

http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/

If you think of any improvements let me know
Guys what is good win this Win 8..that we don't have right now in Win 7..beside working with XBMC..other thing like internet..the CPU usage..or memory usage...how about other programs like DVD ripping or burning?
Well I think the new start screen lends itself well to an HTPC. You can set up your remote to map a button to the windows button and go from XBMC to the start screen where you can look at email, IE, etc. Not like on 7 where you have to go to the desktop and use a mouse. I'm using the 8 RP on both my XBMC machines and my main machine and love it. I'll be getting the RTM version on the 15th and will report my impressions here.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2012-07-28, 09:37)evily2k Wrote: I used a program called sharpkeys and I mapped the windows key to the EPG button and then I mapped the tab key to the USER button. I added tab to the user key because when opening some of the apps you haven't selected anything yet. Pressing the tab key will select something so you can start to navigate through the app via your Nyxboard. Idk Windows 8 seems like it will be a sick HTPC OS but controlling it through keys on the remote is kinda limited. Here's the link to the program I used.

http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/

If you think of any improvements let me know

Does anyone have further information on how to complete this mapping? In XBMC, the EPG key is essentially "F3". So I would use this or a similar program to remap the F3 key to Left Windows? Or how would this be accomplished?

I'm a newbie at this kind of stuff and just got my XBMC / Nyxboard last weekend. Trying to figure out a solution to have the Windows button mapped to something on the Nyxboard for Windows 8.

As a last resort, I guess I will try to use my Harmony remote as an MCE remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 80