• 20(current)
Automatic WakeOnLan upon accessing MySql or FileShares
bilbonvidia,

can we hope for a new raspbmc build?

A new raspbmc version is supposed to come out around 03. february, I read in the raspbmc forums.
So it would be great to have an "up-to-date" version with your patch included.

Hi,

For those interested, I have a Raspbmc build I created from mainline last night which includes the WOA patch, you can follow bilbonvidia's instructions to install it.
Patched build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0w6qcp7araoog...129.tar.gz
MD5:
Code:
35eef00b638a2897c0c4dc0e67d87e23  xbmc-rbp-20130129.tar.gz

I'm having some issues getting the WOA to work with my server, a mac mini, when I put the mac mini into sleep mode. I checked the logs to make sure that xbmc was actually trying to wake it up:
Code:
$ grep -i wake xbmc.log
14:09:58 T:3038277632    INFO: WakeOnAccess - Load settings :
14:09:58 T:3038277632    INFO:   Registering wakeup entry:
14:10:03 T:3038277632    INFO: WakeOnAccess [192.168.0.42] trigged by accessing : MySQL : MyMusic32
14:10:03 T:3038277632    INFO: WakeOnAccess success exit, server already running

XBMC thinks the server is already running, because sleeping macs respond to pings, and the check to see if the server is awake is to ping it. Does anyone have any advice they can give me on how to get WOA working?
Hmmmm... leave it to Apple to do something like that. Is there any setting that allows you to turn that off? Why in the world would you want a sleeping computer to respond to a ping. As far as I know that is how every WOL application checks to see if a PC is sleeping.

Thanks for sharing your build.
Thanks very much joel and kricker. When the final version of raspbmc is finished I'll install it in the normal fasion from fresh as hopefully there'l be some os improvements and then I will stick on the patch you have provided.

Sorry can't help you with the mac side of things, I only just ventured in to apple territory by getting an ipod touch for the kids.
@t4_ravenbird - can't apply your patch - says "patch does not have a valid e-mail address". Could you update the PR please?
@da-anda - PR updated

(2013-01-29, 23:18)bilbonvidia Wrote: Thanks T4 I am building the frodo final for xbmcbuntu now, could you perhaps provide a new openelec build please? And kricker, windows please?

meridus, this patch works perfectly for me, no more messing about with scripts which is what I wanted and my windows 7 server goes to sleep when it is not being used and comes back great when needed.

openelec for rpi only or others too? (using rpi + intel versions myself)
thanks a bunch. It's also nice to see the green button in the PR again Wink
(2013-01-30, 13:54)t4_ravenbird Wrote: @da-anda - PR updated

(2013-01-29, 23:18)bilbonvidia Wrote: Thanks T4 I am building the frodo final for xbmcbuntu now, could you perhaps provide a new openelec build please? And kricker, windows please?

meridus, this patch works perfectly for me, no more messing about with scripts which is what I wanted and my windows 7 server goes to sleep when it is not being used and comes back great when needed.

openelec for rpi only or others too? (using rpi + intel versions myself)

pi please.
So, I've made my own dodgy fix for this whole Apple Mac thing by commenting the block starting at line 374 in WakeOnAccess.cpp - It works, but is not a long-term fix - it's probably poor form just magic packeting every server all the time, especially if they're already on.

I've also done some playing around with pinging the mac's in my house server in different ways while they've been on, asleep, and off.
  • Off: No response from anything.
  • Sleep: ICMP pings are responded to, but not TCP pings.
  • On: ICMP pings are responded to, and also TCP pings.

When I say "TCP Ping", I mean the "tcp" mode of the Net:Tongueing perl module, which as far as I can tell just connects to the echo port (7?) of the computer. (Disclaimer: I am by no means a network or perl programmer).

Since I did that test, I have since rebooted the mac mini, and it appears to be functioning normally now - nothing responds when asleep, but both icmp and tcp respond when awake. However, with the other mac in my house (which I have not rebooted lately), it still behaves as listed in the bullet points above.

I was brainstorming ways of fixing this - my thoughts are that in wakeonlan.xml, the user could specify whether to ping the server in ICMP or TCP mode to figure out if it were awake or not. This could also be discovered automatically - upon discovering MAC addresses, XBMC could do a TCP ping, and if the server responds to that, XBMC would use that to test for a response in the future, rather than ICMP.
(2013-01-30, 17:01)joelgibson Wrote: ..
I was brainstorming ways of fixing this - my thoughts are that in wakeonlan.xml, the user could specify whether to ping the server in ICMP or TCP mode to figure out if it were awake or not.

Sounds doable.. if this turns out to be a recurring issue then maybe that is what must be done
New openelec build ; http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/65574190/file.html
As kricker, I also build from mainline.
New patch file with "tcp ping" as discussed above; http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/6473780/file.html
This also causes 2 more parameters ;
Code:
<pingport>3306</pingport>
<pingmode>1</pingmode>
pingport ; (default 0)
* if 0 will do icmp ping
* else will try to connect to port specified
pingmode ; (default 0, only used if pingport != 0)
* if 1 will not only connect to pingport but also wait until data is actually read

some usable ports ;
3306 ; default mysql port, also works with mode 1
445 ; windows file-sharing (samba) , mode must be 0
else if server has FTP-server, Telnet-server or SSH-server that should be usable too..
Just wanted to ask if anybody already did a patch for the final (1.0) version of raspbmc?

@joelgibson maybe? ;-)

Thanks again for your work - it is really appreciated by those who are not able to compile a patch by themselves like me for example!
Kricker, any chance on getting a Frodo final build? (i.e: one that doesn't still say "RC" on the splash screen) Also some fixes related to add-ons posted over the last week or so that I think may not be in the last build you put up. TIA. Smile

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your builds page link in your sig. Was still using the build from the 29th Jan. lol. Thanks.

EDIT2: The "Read this before using these builds." link in your sig gives a 404 error.

Gib.
Looks like the thread I linked to has been moved.

FYI, those builds do not have this patch applied to them. Those are straight builds from trunk for those that want nightly builds. I started making them before there were official nightly builds. I just keep them going as a backup to the official ones.

I do plan on making a new build soon, maybe even today. If the splash screen still says RC on it, then open it up and paint it out Wink
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic WakeOnLan upon accessing MySql or FileShares4