OS X High cpu usage and fps after suspend
Thread title changed to be more descriptive

This first appeared in beta 2 i think and it's still there in RC1.

Very often after resuming from suspend the gui navigation feels rubber bandery, meaning that when moving across the menus when there's animation involved the animation starts very slowly and then speeds up and "catches up".

XBMC has to be closed and restarted and everything is well again. Not the most detailed report but is this happening for anyone else?

I'll try to get a debug log when this happens..
Actually waking up from suspend itself has been problematic too lately, OS X desktop is often visible after resuming.

Steps to try first

- Disable auto library update on startup
- Change which key press Harmony is sending to wake Mini up
- Change the order in which devices are being woken up
The problem is still there. Now that i read the thread title afterwards it's pretty confusing to me too now. But if the projector is already on and i start XBMC this does not happen, everything is very smooth. I can only change order in which the devices are powered on, but i would need a feature that the Harmony does not offer: an option to add custom pause of any duration in the middle of an activity.

Now on Frodo nightlies XBMC never crashes after coming out from suspend, but this lag effect is still there. I don't know if it's the animation, it could be the fanart, episode thumbnails that cause this. For instance moving between weather, pictures, system etc. in main menu is very fluid, but movies and tv shows and music are slow. All the actual library views have this effect as well.

I've been thinking that it's some sort of HDMI handshake thing but i don't know if that's the case. Projector and AV receiver both report correct resolution and refresh rate when waking from suspend. When i exit XBMC and open it again all is very smooth, and never ever the display syncs itself again, or does anything like that.

I created, or atleast tried to create static EDID information that OSX loads when it's unable to query the EDID. It never loads this custom EDID so it makes me thing OSX is always able to query it "live". Or i made a mistake with capturing the EDID information.
Could you post a little video about it? And an xbmc.log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Have you checked it's not running at 50Hz or less?
I tried to capture a log when this happens but didn't succeed last night, but it happens 100% every time in normal situtation.. I'll try again and shoot a video too.

Hitcher, it's not the refresh rate, it's using 60hz still. With low refresh rate it would be simply slow, and the speed would not vary.
Inlaws were visiting and didn't have any time for my nerd hobbies.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXP-Hbd840

Debug logging wasn't turned on so it's still missing, i was exaggerating when i said it happens every single time when i turn on the Mini. I'll try to get it and post it as well.
Looks like that when this happens the debug log printout on the top left corner is reporting insane FPS readings, it's fluctuating between 90-200 fps. My screen is set to 60hz, with dirty regions algorithm set to 1 and nofliptimeout set to 0.

I'll disable the dirty region tweak and see if it'll help.
I have no high hopes of the debug log revealing anything but here it is. System was woken around 22:46, moved around in laggy main menu, then went into laggy movie library and moved around there.

http://pastebin.com/p0Ut5JsJ

I already looked into getting Geffen HDMI detective but if it would fix this it would be an expansive paperweight (150 euros).
Does it settle down after a bit (say 5 mins or so?)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

No, i've tested and waited, but just to make sure i'll test it again.
Nope, it's not settling down no matter how long i wait.

Here's a new debug log. I had to cut out the beginning as this is the same log file what i posted last night and it would have been quite long http://pastebin.com/8Ery0vc5

I also shot a second video showing the high fps and cpu usage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MStEvvEDOUw

If i quit and restart XBMC all is fine and very smooth. There's nothing out of the ordinary in my setup that i can think of, other than the fact that the projector powers on slowly and the amp (Denon AVR-1610) can only lock on to the HDMI signal after a the projector is fully turned on. Mini is waiting for both devices all this time.
My last log about this issue, this time from Snow Leopard to rule out a specific OSX version. The log is long as hell, had to cut into 2 parts, system was woken 18:48:46.

http://pastebin.com/hRgX2wpH
http://pastebin.com/71ENv0Hy

As having to quit XBMC and restart it after resuming from suspend completely destroys the home theater experience i don't think i have other options than gamble with buying a Geffen HDMI detective hoping that it'll fix this or switch platform.
Please turn off dirty rendering in advancedsettings by adding:

Code:
<gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
  </gui>

to your advancedsettings.xml and report back.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I will test and let you know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High cpu usage and fps after suspend0