Struggling with "context menu"
I've had my jailbroken ATV2 for a couple of weeks now and I am still struggling with what I think is referred to as the "context" menu.

In short, I'm puzzled by the apparently inconsistent functions of the big centre button (Select button?) and the long press of the Menu button.

What I want to be able to do is, whilst watching a movie, bring up the "info" (oh how I wish there was such a button!) that displays the same information as is displayed when I do a long "select" button press whilst a file name is selected, ie, it brings up the movie sheet with options to view the cast etc. with the movie playing in the background.

What happens for me when I do a long press of the Select button is that it just brings up an icon of the DVD case on the left with a progress bar and some buttons. I can press and hold the Menu button too, which takes me back to the file list and the summary sheet of the movie whilst the movie is still playing (and also causes the movie to stutter), then when I keep pressing Menu to get back out of that I get in a right pickle where I have the movie playing in the background with an overlay giving me all the XBMC options.

I do appreciate by the way that this is not the fault of XBMC, it's because of the stupid lack of buttons on the ATV remote.
search for keymap.xml in the wiki and map the keys to whatever you like...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks...but I think that is some way beyond my capabilities unfortunately. Eek
If you can come up with a better default mapping (you don't have to necessarily change it yourself) then we'd be happy to consider it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:If you can come up with a better default mapping (you don't have to necessarily change it yourself) then we'd be happy to consider it.

I'm not sure I necessarily can! All I really want is to know if there is a way of bringing up the movie sheet while I am watching a movie? Sometimes for example I'm watching a movie and I want to know who a particluar actor is without stopping the movie, for example.
Nope, you can't bring that up while watching a movie (at least without exiting to the UI and doing it that way).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:If you can come up with a better default mapping (you don't have to necessarily change it yourself) then we'd be happy to consider it.

I've had a thought. When watching a movie, you can press and hold the Select button and it brings up the DVD case image and progress bar, and you can toggle along to things like subtitles and other settings. Couldn't we also have a little icon in there that brings up the movie sheet?

Alternatively/additionally, when watching a movie the up and down arrow serve no purpose. Couldn't something be mapped to them? For example, I notice on the XBMC android remote on my smartphone you can bring up a bar at the top which shows things like bit rate, zoom seetings etc. These don't seem to be accessible through the regular remote.
Perhaps a skin could be hacked to make it work? Might try asking in the skin help forum.

Re: up/down durning playback, see here for an example of using them for something else: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Joy...l_for_ATV2
up down is mapped to volume control which will be injected after eden...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:up down is mapped to volume control which will be injected after eden...

Curious choice - wouldn't most people use the TV or Amp to control the volume? (And perhaps like me, use a universal remote to do this?)
You could "teach" another remote to iOS and then map the buttons to whatever you want for XBMC. As when you teach one you also get access to the skip frame back/forward, rewind/FF and play/pause/stop buttons so you get an extra 7 buttons you probably won't need there?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Struggling with "context menu"0