Looking for recomendations for my HP ProLiant N40L
Slightly OT ... can you microserver owners give some feedback on how 'noisy' the server actually is? It's the only point which is deterring my purchase.
castalla Wrote:Slightly OT ... can you microserver owners give some feedback on how 'noisy' the server actually is? It's the only point which is deterring my purchase.

Ill let you know ill be setting up this week or maybe the weekend

Drew
Acer Revo 1600 2Gb ram OpenELEC Eden Nighlies. SABnzbd + Sickbeard + CouchPotato Addons
Synology DS210j Soon to be Retired
HP ProLiant N40L
Cheers.
You can try Zentyal. A Ubuntu-Distribution with Administration-Webinterface!

http://www.zentyal.org/
davidw Wrote:You can try Zentyal. A Ubuntu-Distribution with Administration-Webinterface!

http://www.zentyal.org/

I actually asked about it a few posts ago, it looks really nice, however a bit overkill for what im attempting to do. From what im seeing OpenMediaVault might be just what im looking for. I just setup a Vm of it last night and was able to install and setup Sab, SB and CP on it in a few mins. im gonna look at further and also Zentyal

Drew
Acer Revo 1600 2Gb ram OpenELEC Eden Nighlies. SABnzbd + Sickbeard + CouchPotato Addons
HP ProLiant N40L
castalla Wrote:Slightly OT ... can you microserver owners give some feedback on how 'noisy' the server actually is? It's the only point which is deterring my purchase.

It is pretty much dead silent, I only really start noticing the fan from about 1-2 feet away.
Hey Drew,

Sorry to derail the conversation, but what were your thoughts on the DS210j prior to it's demise? I've got someone who has offered to sell me one (never used) for a very good price ($50), and I'd like to use it for a SABnzbd + Sickbeard setup with 2 x 2TB drives. Did you run into any trouble with processing power or performance/streaming problems when unpacking files?

Thanks, and sorry again to interrupt things--I just joined and was unable to PM you.

Dan
(2012-03-07, 17:45)timvdwest Wrote:

It is pretty much dead silent, I only really start noticing the fan from about 1-2 feet away.

I do notice a higher DB on the N40L over say my Synology or my Acer revo 1600 however it isent bad. I think the 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 converter has a fan that is louder then the rest, i just need to figure how to reduce its RPM

Drew
HP ProLiant N40L
(2012-03-08, 19:28)sciencemandan Wrote: Hey Drew,

Sorry to derail the conversation, but what were your thoughts on the DS210j prior to it's demise? I've got someone who has offered to sell me one (never used) for a very good price ($50), and I'd like to use it for a SABnzbd + Sickbeard setup with 2 x 2TB drives. Did you run into any trouble with processing power or performance/streaming problems when unpacking files?

Thanks, and sorry again to interrupt things--I just joined and was unable to PM you.

Dan

Sorry for the delay i have been super busy. However the DS210J was a great little unit. especially now with DSM 4.0 and the "app store" Plugins have been made super simple and not alot of hackary is really required as you DONT need opt ware to install most applications such as sab and sickbeard. You still can install opt ware via similar methods but just not required
my only issue with the 210j was the lack of redundancy options and the proprietary aspect of the Linux distro did not allow me to run dis utilities or smartools to attempt to fix or diagnose the SMART errors i was receiving on the drives

Other then that it was a great box and a killer deal for 50

Considering the hardware of the Synology its pretty impressive i did highly reduce the frequencies of SB and Cp checking for content and maybe over a year ago i did have an issue with SB taking nearly 30mins to run a backlog check which would keep my cpu tact at 100. however i think this was a early issue with sb b4 midget really worked with synology devices. Unpacking is slower then somthing like my new N40l tv shows in HD take about 2-3mins to unpack and 720p about 10. Repairing was an issue it could take many hours, however with a reliable usenet server and some nice changes in SABnzbd 0.7.0 will allow you to verify the post b4 you download it which im sure will reduce the likelihood that you have to repair with par.
As for streating i did have some issues while unpacking with using SMB but i switched to NFS and this seemed to use less cpu and ram

Hope this helps

Drew
HP ProLiant N40L

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for recomendations for my HP ProLiant N40L0