[BUG] Vertical blank sync + fullscreen window = jitter
For the longest time I've been plagued by jitter/jerkiness with a specific set-up and now I've finally identified the culprit. To reproduce:

Activate "Vertical blank sync" (System/Video Output)
Activate "Use fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen" (System/Video Output)
Play a mkv movie with DTS
Observe jitter/jerkiness

Turn off "Vertical blank sync" -> No jerkiness
Turn on "Vertical blank sync" and deactivate "Use fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen" -> no jitter, but stuff on my first monitor keeps stealing the focus from XBMC running on the TV as 2nd monitor.

The reason I had activated Vertical blank sync at all was that I wanted to limit the frame rate, especially when XBMC is idle, to save CPU. Turns out that what I need is the opposite of what's available: "Use Vsync only when not playing anything". In my understanding, vsync should work well with the other option "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" but it doesn't. Probably some manual sync tool is needed for that.
Platform ?
If your using windows a similar problem, especially with fake fullscreen + adjust refresh rate, is well known, e.g.: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/747
Yup, it's Windows. By well-known you must mean "well-known to developers" Smile - an entry in the WIKI would be nice. I'll check if anyone can write there and add it myself.

Edit: Had a look at the github thread and noticed that the bug is at least partly due to Aero. That pop-up commit telling me about sure would have saved me some time Tongue
So I guess a temporary solution would be to use a Windows compatibility setting which disables Aero when XBMC is started.
(2013-01-21, 17:34)HeresJohnny Wrote: Yup, it's Windows. By well-known you must mean "well-known to developers" Smile

Yes, really no offence intended! Blush
Maybe it's not necessary to re-invent the wheel... has anybody tried contacting Madshi yet, the programmer of MadVR? He has programmed an excellent renderer which seems to have no problem with fullscreen jitter, as he automatically switches to fullscreen exclusive mode. Maybe he would be willing to contribute to XBMC or at least to help out with his fullscreen scource code.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUG] Vertical blank sync + fullscreen window = jitter0