XBMCbuntu boots too fast.
Hi,
I boot xbmcbuntu from an Intel 520 SSD drive. I mount my movies using nfs from a NAS.

The problem is, about half the time i boot up the library is not re-scaned. I think its beacuse my network and/or nfs mounts is not ready yet. If i do a manual "scan for new content" it works fine.

Question, is there any way to somehow delay the start of xbmc or delay the scan?
joolz Wrote:Hi,
I boot xbmcbuntu from an Intel 520 SSD drive. I mount my movies using nfs from a NAS.

The problem is, about half the time i boot up the library is not re-scaned. I think its beacuse my network and/or nfs mounts is not ready yet. If i do a manual "scan for new content" it works fine.

Question, is there any way to somehow delay the start of xbmc or delay the scan?
Maybe this?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...rtup+delay
and if can help to speed up nfs mounts, disable any DNS lookups in the nfs server, for example putting the ipaddress of the clients into the /etc/hosts of the nfs server (there are several and much more elegant ways, I think this is the fastest)
I had this exact problem with my network not coming up by the time XBMC loaded. I fixed it by editing /etc/network/interfaces and added this:

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Tweak the interface name based on your hardware...

That made the startup scripts wait for the network to come up before it loaded XBMC.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried both static network configuration and disabling dns lookups on the nfs server. Still no go.

I'm wondering where the best place is to put a sleep statement. /usr/bin/runXBMC is not used in xbmcbuntu. I tired putting it in /usr/bin/startxbmcbuntu but it had no effect.
Good question. I cant find the start script for the xbmc session on github right now but it is not startxbmcbuntu. Thats script start the openbox based xbmcbuntu session, not XBMC.

You could put a timeout in lightdm.conf ( I guess) as a workaround until you find the right script.
/usr/bin/xbmc-standalone it looks like.. part of xbmc not XBMCbuntu. Called from XBMC.desktop?
Why not mount the NFS shares inside Xbmc? Eden has support for that. Maybe that solves your problem if you have them in fstab now.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
I'm running the release xbmcbuntu and the script I put my delay in is /usr/bin/xbmc. I confirmed that it is running and the delay I added ensured the nfs mount was complete before XBMC started.
Adding delays is ugly in my opinion. Either use the NFS support in XBMC or use automount.
I'm mounting my NFS-shares in fstab, and I had some issues where the shares took a while to mount and were not ready when scanning. Adding nfsvers=3 in fstab solved it. Fstab then looked like this:

Path:/to/share /mount/point nfs nfsvers=3,defaults 0 0
(2012-04-25, 12:33)JaccoH Wrote: Adding delays is ugly in my opinion. Either use the NFS support in XBMC or use automount.

Could you post an example of how to set up & configure automount to mount a nfs share to an xbmc client?
welcome indeed!
Here's a copy of my automount(autofs) configuration in Ubuntu... Works pretty good but I find most times when resuming from standby, my network adapter cant wakeup before xbmc tries to scan for updates. I just hit yes to resume and it goes through fine.

Quote:Aspire-R3610:~$ cat /etc/auto.master
+auto.master
/mnt /etc/auto.nfs --ghost --timeout=15

Aspire-R3610:~$ cat /etc/auto.nfs
SHARE -fstype=nfs,rw,sync,soft,intr,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,timeo=5,retry=20 172.17.17.99:/SHARE
FreshDownloads -fstype=nfs,rw,sync,soft,intr,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,timeo=5,retry=20 172.17.17.99:/FreshDownloads
HD -fstype=nfs,rw,sync,soft,intr,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,timeo=5,retry=20 172.17.17.99:/HD
HDTV -fstype=nfs,rw,sync,soft,intr,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,timeo=5,retry=20 172.17.17.99:/HDTV
TV -fstype=nfs,rw,sync,soft,intr,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,timeo=5,retry=20 172.17.17.99:/TV
Music -fstype=nfs,rw,sync,soft,intr,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,timeo=5,retry=20 172.17.17.99:/Music

You may notice the high retry and timeout settings. This worked around a WiFi interference issue I've been having causing the mounts to time out...

For those of you trying to stream HD over WiFi I strongly urge you to use NFS instead of CIFS/SAMBA. I get a performance ratio of roughly 3:1 for NFS vs. SAMBA and stepping through 1080p video is instant. Further tweaking on my WiFi configuration got me up to 130Mbps of actual application throughput. I installed the Windows SFU 3.5 (services for unix) on my WinXP server to get NFS server support.
(2012-03-02, 19:31)tpunder Wrote: I had this exact problem with my network not coming up by the time XBMC loaded. I fixed it by editing /etc/network/interfaces and added this:

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Tweak the interface name based on your hardware...

That made the startup scripts wait for the network to come up before it loaded XBMC.

Hope that helps!

Tnx a lot this solved my problem!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu boots too fast.0