My attempt at building my own rig
Hi guys,

I have received a wealth of info from this site and decided to give a little back. I finally went out and started buying all the piece/parts for my own HTPC rig.

I am using Frys, as I was sure something wouldn't fit, or I would forget something, and buying locally is easier for that. Plus, they had almost everything I think I needed, and they match Internet site prices. The additional cost is sales tax, but I consider that a good trade off to be able to deal locally.

What I bought yesterday (prices do not include tax):

AMD A6-3500, $74.99
Gigabyte GA-75M-D2H FM1 MB, $89.99
Raidmax ATX626B MicroATX Slim Case, 350W PSU INCL, $59.99
Crucial Vengence Lo profile DDR3 1600MH, 2X2GB, $29.99
CityNet 80X80X2 Case Fan, $4.99
SMK-Link UltraTouch Mini KB w/Touchpad, $69.99

Subtotal, $329.94

This is in line with many builds I see discussed here in the forum. I wanted DDR3 1333, for about $5 cheaper, but they were out.

Got it all home and started playing/assembling. Got the APU on the MB easily, and the cooling fan attached as well. Dropped in the RAM just as easily.

Now, the first problem. The case box states that it is a mATX case, but the MB and the included power supply occupied the same space. No way to get the MB to bolt in without removing the PSU. Bummer. So, the case is going back tomorrow. This is why I prefer to buy locally. Would Amazon take it back and send another? Sure, but tack on another week to the build.

Before going out to shop, I had decided on the Silverstone GD05 case, which Frys carries, but it was just so BIG when I eyeballed it in person. Doesn't seem that big when viewing it online. Plus it has no PSU and $90 + PSU seemed like too much.

But I an going to bite the bullet and get it. That retails for $89.99 and has no PSU, so this will add at least $100 to the build. If anyone can suggest the perfect, inexpensive PSU, that Frys might carry, I would appreciate it.

I have a WD Blue 500GB 2.5" drive from my recently deceased laptop I am going to use, so I save a little there until I can afford a SSD. I have all my media on a Seagate Black Armor NAS, so not much storage will be required in the HTPC.

My drive was already the boot drive for the laptop, so I am hoping it will boot in the new system without much problem, Win7 Ultimate. The only problem is that it is 32bit. Can I install it this way, then upgrade to 64bit, or does that require a complete reinstall? I am guessing it will require a complete reinstall. But if it operates okay on the 32 bit, I may forgo the upgrade.

A couple questions for when I finally get this assembled.

First, will the HDMi output work on initial boot? This is my HTPC and a 55" Samsung plasma is the monitor. Is it just plug and play, or do I need a regular monitor for install?

This wireless keyboard/ touchpad. Same question. Will it be recognized at boot, or do I need a standard, plugin KB and mouse?

Any other suggestions are much appreciated. Will add more as I go.

Thanks
Michael
As for monitor, I built mine using a regular LCD monitor.
When booting my HTPC, I do not see any POST or anything else until the Windows 7 loading animation.

You could try building it with the TV as your monitor, but I would be prepared to use a regular monitor just in case (I used my kids monitor during the build)
Everything should display over hdmi, (at least every one I have ever built has, but I have only built Intel/Nvidia). Not sure about the wireless keyboard, but if it is usb, and it is linked to the receiver, it should work out of the box as well.

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
psu: http://www.frys.com/product/6778935?site...IN_RSLT_PG

windows 64bit will require a complete re-install.

HDMi works out of the box, no need for typical pc monitor.

2.4GHz RF keyboards work out of the box and let you play in your BIOS
even if windows isnt installed yet.
in return, bluetooth keyboards dont let u do that...
Dynalmadman Wrote:Hi guys,

I have received a wealth of info from this site and decided to give a little back. I finally went out and started buying all the piece/parts for my own HTPC rig.

I am using Frys, as I was sure something wouldn't fit, or I would forget something, and buying locally is easier for that. Plus, they had almost everything I think I needed, and they match Internet site prices. The additional cost is sales tax, but I consider that a good trade off to be able to deal locally.

What I bought yesterday (prices do not include tax):

AMD A6-3500, $74.99
Gigabyte GA-75M-D2H FM1 MB, $89.99
Raidmax ATX626B MicroATX Slim Case, 350W PSU INCL, $59.99
Crucial Vengence Lo profile DDR3 1600MH, 2X2GB, $29.99
CityNet 80X80X2 Case Fan, $4.99
SMK-Link UltraTouch Mini KB w/Touchpad, $69.99

Subtotal, $329.94

This is in line with many builds I see discussed here in the forum. I wanted DDR3 1333, for about $5 cheaper, but they were out.

Got it all home and started playing/assembling. Got the APU on the MB easily, and the cooling fan attached as well. Dropped in the RAM just as easily.

Now, the first problem. The case box states that it is a mATX case, but the MB and the included power supply occupied the same space. No way to get the MB to bolt in without removing the PSU. Bummer. So, the case is going back tomorrow. This is why I prefer to buy locally. Would Amazon take it back and send another? Sure, but tack on another week to the build.

Before going out to shop, I had decided on the Silverstone GD05 case, which Frys carries, but it was just so BIG when I eyeballed it in person. Doesn't seem that big when viewing it online. Plus it has no PSU and $90 + PSU seemed like too much.

But I an going to bite the bullet and get it. That retails for $89.99 and has no PSU, so this will add at least $100 to the build. If anyone can suggest the perfect, inexpensive PSU, that Frys might carry, I would appreciate it.

I have a WD Blue 500GB 2.5" drive from my recently deceased laptop I am going to use, so I save a little there until I can afford a SSD. I have all my media on a Seagate Black Armor NAS, so not much storage will be required in the HTPC.

My drive was already the boot drive for the laptop, so I am hoping it will boot in the new system without much problem, Win7 Ultimate. The only problem is that it is 32bit. Can I install it this way, then upgrade to 64bit, or does that require a complete reinstall? I am guessing it will require a complete reinstall. But if it operates okay on the 32 bit, I may forgo the upgrade.

A couple questions for when I finally get this assembled.

That windows willcprobably be locked to the motherboard it was installed on, and wont function, i dont think.

Quote:First, will the HDMi output work on initial boot? This is my HTPC and a 55" Samsung plasma is the monitor. Is it just plug and play, or do I need a regular monitor for install?

If we are talking about on board hdmi, yes, it will display.

Quote:This wireless keyboard/ touchpad. Same question. Will it be recognized at boot, or do I need a standard, plugin KB and mouse?

Wieless usb will be recognized at boot up, but you may need to enable it in bios before you can use it before windows boots up.

Quote:Any other suggestions are much appreciated. Will add more as I go.

Ddr 1600 memory can be underclocked to 1333 speeds, if you're worried, but honestly it wont make much difference. If it was only 5 dollars more, I would've upgraded anyways.

Thanks
Michael[/quote]
Oh, if this is your mobo, it should fit in the case. Can you post a picture of it so I can take a look?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...id=3928#sp
OniFactor Wrote:Oh, if this is your mobo, it should fit in the case. Can you post a picture of it so I can take a look?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...id=3928#sp

I agree that it should have fit, and it was close, but no way. Sorry, no pic, as I returned it yesterday. I got the SilverStone GD05. Huge, but well made, and I came with all the extras that the other case didn't. Lots of screws, a manual, wire ties. It was much more $, but worked well. Just so darn big!

I bit the bullet and bought the Samsung 64gb SSD ($109) and an OEM copy of Win7 64 bit.

Coupled with a 500w PSU, I am ready to go. I assembled it all last nite and did a thumb drive install of windows. The wireless keyboard and HDMI all worked fine at startup. The only momentary glitch I had during assembly was with power connections to the MB. The power supply had a 24 pin 12v connector, but no 4 pin 12v connector. Took me. While to finally figure out that an 8 pin 12v will plug into the 4 pin connector on the MB.

All booted fine, and I was able install XBMC. It connected to my NAS and all is well so far. Some fiddling with the audio setup and I was able to play a movie.

I installed SABnzbd and SickBeard and all is well with grabbing media.

It cost a bit more than I had planned, but I am happy with the results so far. The unit is dead silent, the only moving parts are one case fan and the APU fan.

Just wondering, if in the future I expand and need more cooling, since the motherboard only has connectors for one case fan, and the case has 3, how do you power more fans?

Thanks,
Michaell
Dynalmadman Wrote:Coupled with a 500w PSU, I am ready to go.
Thanks,
Michaell
I'm glad that everything work. I was gonna say that 500w PSU is huge for a 65w A6-3500 HTPC. If you plan to build another 65w HTPC, 200w or less PSU is plenty....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
there are adapters that turn a molex 4 pin power into fan plugs, or you use fans that already have molex connectors.
bluray Wrote:I'm glad that everything work. I was gonna say that 500w PSU is huge for a 65w A6-3500 HTPC. If you plan to build another 65w HTPC, 200w or less PSU is plenty....

You are so correct, but there were 2 reasons I wound up with such a big PSU.

First, I wanted one that was high enough quality to be as quiet as possible, and, secondly, I buy locally, so I had to choose from what Frys carried.

I am happy with it, but you are so right that it is overkill!

Michael
OniFactor Wrote:there are adapters that turn a molex 4 pin power into fan plugs, or you use fans that already have molex connectors.

Okay, adapters it is! Thanks. The case came with 3 fans, so just some adapters should do it.

Michael
I have the same case. It came with an adapter for the 4 pin molex. But after hearing those fans at full speed I installed a fan controller. Check my pics in my signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My attempt at building my own rig0