[PATCH]Move subtitles so the OSD wont block them
Hi All,
I attached a patch that moves the subtitles when the OSD is active so the OSD won't block the subtitles.
I have tested this patch. Nice on confluence skin. But, every skin have different osd position. In Aeon Nox, this skin have osd on top of the screen, move up subtitle is not good choice.
I'm not familiar with the skins.
Do you think this can be in some way part of the skin?
Or can I get the skin info from the place I wrote the code? I can move the subs down if they are on the top in relevant skins.
I can also have this as an option, I can add in the place of the configuration of the subtitles position an option for "fixed+", where now the default is "fixed", and only in this case move the subtitles.
Yeah, this isn't going to fly as-is.

To be honest I don't really get why this is much of a problem: how often do you have the OSD up while you're wanting to read the subtitles anyway?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sometimes when the mouse moves by accident it just blocks the subtitles for a few seconds.
What should be done to do "make it fly"?
A cat is a great solution to mice problems Wink

Seriously, I'm betting less than 1% of users have a mouse anywhere near XBMC, so that in and of itself isn't a strong enough reason for me (I'd be far more annoyed at the fact that the OSD pops up ruining the experience).

The only thing that would "make it fly" is making it work across all skins: The only way that's going to work is if you remove the OSD from it's current place.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:A cat is a great solution to mice problems Wink

Seriously, I'm betting less than 1% of users have a mouse anywhere near XBMC, so that in and of itself isn't a strong enough reason for me (I'd be far more annoyed at the fact that the OSD pops up ruining the experience).

The only thing that would "make it fly" is making it work across all skins: The only way that's going to work is if you remove the OSD from it's current place.

I use a PC remote control with a track ball, so sometimes when it moves the OSD is popping up. And it does ruin the experience, but not being able to read the subtitles is even more frustrating.

I don't understand what you mean by "remove the OSD from it's current place"? what is it's place?
The only solution that will work completely is making sure that the OSD doesn't come on ever.

The solution that will work most (but not all) the time is making sure that the OSD is at the top of the screen rather than the bottom. There's nothing that stops subtitles being displayed at the top of the screen (or in the middle of the screen), however.

A nice patch for the issue may be that in order for the mouse to come alive a mouse click must be made - currently a mouse move is enough to awaken it. This would be an advancedsetting.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
If I understand correctly making the OSD always on the top of the screen is changing the skin. I don't think it's the way I want to go. (but I think the default skin in dharma, or even before that, had this and back then I think I didn't have this issue)

Maybe I can make the current default skin "move" the subtitles so the skin won't block them. And in this case it will be an option within this skin and will not affect other skins. Will this be acceptable?

Preventing the OSD from appearing on mouse move is a challenge, I can give it a try.

Will it be ok to insert my current code If I make it an advancedsetting option?
Cheers Smile
You can also investigate when we activate mouse - currently we check if mouse movement is bigger than 2 pixels (exactly to not show mouse cursor if movement wasn't intentional) - see CMouseStat::MovedPastThreshold in xbmc/input/MouseStat.cpp
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3
No, your current code will not be accepted as an advancedsetting.

Code to disable the mouse movement causing the OSD to pop up, however, likely would be acceptable - you can possibly just do this in GUIDialogVideoOSD.cpp (and MusicOSD.cpp for consistency).

Cheers,
Jonathan

O.K. I get it, I'll try the mouse thing.
I still hope to find a way to fix the subtitle in an acceptable way.
Thanks for the support Smile
Sorry for the late replay, my HDD died and it took a while to get everything running again.
I implemented the option in the advanced settings to disable the OSD on mouse move and I added the sources to the ticket http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12753
I hope this code is acceptable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH]Move subtitles so the OSD wont block them0