XBMCbuntu Root Password
I am trying to sudo apt-get install XXX on the XBMCbuntu live CD (Eden Beta 3).

When I enter "xbmc" for the password, I get "Sorry, try again"

How can I run something as root?
Sudo by default takes the user's password.

Edit: sorry, forgot this was the live CD...
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
The username xbmc with a blank password worked for me. Just type sudo foo and hit enter.
blank worked great for running sudo on the live CD, thanks!

What about SSH?

When I try either blank or xbmc, I get:

Permission denied, please try again.
The fix for the problem you have put is to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config

sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
press Ctrl+w to search type in PermitEmptyPasswords and press enter
change the line so it reads
PermitEmptyPasswords yes
crtl+x to exit and press y to save changes
then restart the ssh server with
sudo restart ssh

The other options

You can set up authorized key authentication to not need a password - can be tricky depending on your knowledge of linux

the best option is to give xbmc a password just type

passwd

press enter for current as there isn't currently a password then set your own

hope this helps
Given that the ssh server is running by default in the live cd, does it make sense to make this setting the default on the live cd? Without this, it seems pointless to have the ssh server running.

alternatively, the root password ca be changed to xbmc
Permitting empty password logins as a default setting would create an extremely vulnerable system.. anyone who knows the IP address of an internet facing xbmc system or ofcorse the IP address of an xbmc system on the same LAN would have full root access.

Setting a default password for the xbmc account creates the same problem, I would guess this is why the developers have left the password blank to make sure remote logins arnt possible until the user sets a password. Leaving the SSH server uninstalled would confuse people i think.

if you are using a usb stick to hold XBMCbuntu ( lili - Linux Live USB Creator is great for this) then your settings will be saved on reboot

if your using a cd theres a long winded method to extract the live system and modify it but the usb option is usually better.
cancan101 Wrote:blank worked great for running sudo on the live CD, thanks!

What about SSH?

When I try either blank or xbmc, I get:

Permission denied, please try again.

Press control + alt + f1

type: passwd

The default password is blank. Change the new password to anything you like and ssh should be working.
I'm having a bit of the same problem...I try to SSH into xbmcbuntu, as "admin@xbmcipaddress" or as "xbmc@xbmcipaddress", and although i didn't use the default password, it keeps giving me an error - no doubt because I'm doing something wrong. I'm pretty sure I know which password I used when setting it up, but somehow....hm.
Where's my mistake? And, worst comes to worst, any chance of resetting the password?
Are you able to login into XBMCbuntu? If yes, then leave XBMC login into xbmcbuntu, open a terminal an the enter the following:

Code:
sudo passwd root

"root" is the new user with root-rights. Enter a password for root and then you can ssh to your XBMC with "root" as username and the given password

Be carefull what you do, if you´re logged in with root rights Wink

Greetings
Hi ! I'm feeling a bit lost...
I've Just installed xbmcbuntu and I can't login on tty1 with the login I've set up...
I've Also triedother defaults accounts but I Always cet "bad login"
Please help !
Thank you.....
I am also on tty1 with pressing STRG+ALT+F1

BUT

How can I LoginHuh
Also with Putty I can not Login

User without Password is not working for a secure Connection!?!
Do I have to Change something with putty?

----edit
I figured out
only the username at the Installation is working - no root before you set a password

GreeT`s ERich

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu Root Password0