HD Audio
(2012-03-12, 17:49)patseguin Wrote: EDIT: Oh, and why do people request CD Audio and Blu Ray support? The whole point of XBMC is not to have to get my lazy a** off the couch and put in a disc. ;-)
If you're not aware of it, you can rent blu-ra disc from RedBox, Blockbuster and Netflix and blu-ray rental is still very popular in the U.S these days. Speaking for myself, I enjoys pop in the $1.50 rental blu-ray disc in HTPC BD-ROM all the time. It is nice to have blu-ray support in XBMC, and it's even nicer with full support of blu-ray disc menus, chapters, 3d, bitstreaming, etc! Laugh

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Meh, I hate the previews forced on a viewer in many DVD/BD's and 90% of the time the commentary & extras are 2nd rate filler at best. Rip to mkv and strip all that out. It's like watching car ads at the theater after paying for the popcorn - thanks but no thanks.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-12, 19:39)DDDamian Wrote: Meh, I hate the previews forced on a viewer in many DVD/BD's and 90% of the time the commentary & extras are 2nd rate filler at best. Rip to mkv and strip all that out. It's like watching car ads at the theater after paying for the popcorn - thanks but no thanks.
I'm talking about rental blu-ray disc. I don't buy blu-ray disc till I watched it with $1.5 rental disc first. Even with my purchased blu-ray disc, I still preferred BD ISO to enjoy menus, chapters, etc. It's nice to be able to jump straight to chapter 10, 20, etc, and I can see the snap shot of the scene in each chapter too!

Oh, how cooool it is to see this screen on HDTV-----

After XBMC released a version with bistreaming option and blu-ray menu option, it'll be the ultimate player on the planet! Laugh

The far superior option, if possible in the future, would be to have the XBMC OSD do the actually useful things that the BD menu does.
eg chapter list, extras list etc.

I don't want to push play twice.
Ah I hadn't realized it was platform independent. I'm just a phappy camper watching movies in True HD and DTS Master HD. ;-)
(2012-03-12, 20:08)bluray Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 19:39)DDDamian Wrote: Meh, I hate the previews forced on a viewer in many DVD/BD's and 90% of the time the commentary & extras are 2nd rate filler at best. Rip to mkv and strip all that out. It's like watching car ads at the theater after paying for the popcorn - thanks but no thanks.
I'm talking about rental blu-ray disc. I don't buy blu-ray disc till I watched it with $1.5 rental disc first. Even with my purchased blu-ray disc, I still preferred BD ISO to enjoy menus, chapters, etc. It's nice to be able to jump straight to chapter 10, 20, etc, and I can see the snap shot of the scene in each chapter too!

Oh, how cooool it is to see this screen on HDTV-----

After XBMC released a version with bistreaming option and blu-ray menu option, it'll be the ultimate player on the planet! Laugh

I gotta admit that looks pretty damn cool bluray and chapter support would be nice for sure. If XBMC ever did decide to work on this would I have to re-rip my whole collection or do the MKV's have all that data already?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2012-03-12, 20:47)0wing Wrote: The far superior option, if possible in the future, would be to have the XBMC OSD do the actually useful things that the BD menu does.
eg chapter list, extras list etc.

I don't want to push play twice.
That would be the greatest media player on the planet! Nod

@patsequin - you would have to re-rip. If you want the menu stuff you're best to rip the whole thing, meaning you'll need index.bdmv and the streams directory. MKV supports chapters, and MKVMerge has a chapter tool. There are several third-party apps that can help you get the chapters.

For menu support you can either buy TMT or wait for FFMpeg to build in support as XBMC uses that library for menus. It's not something XBMC code does. The menu system for BD is still in a state of flux - i.e. even some of the dedicated software players like TMT and even bluray players need frequent updates to handle new movies and their menus. When it settles down a bit I'm sure you'll see support via FFMpeg.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-12, 20:51)patseguin Wrote: I gotta admit that looks pretty damn cool bluray and chapter support would be nice for sure. If XBMC ever did decide to work on this would I have to re-rip my whole collection or do the MKV's have all that data already?
Yes, I cannot live without it. Especially the blu-ray disc that I already watched several times, I can simply skip to the favorite chapter that I want to watch again. It's very good option.

You might have to re-rip it to BD folder or ISO to enjoy the original blu-ray menu!

Yeah it's cool but I live without it. Just being able to hit the movie and start watching it without extra crap is so nice.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2012-03-12, 21:54)patseguin Wrote: Yeah it's cool but I live without it. Just being able to hit the movie and start watching it without extra crap is so nice.

Not worth re-ripping for IMO. I remember the clamour to get (and excitement when it was added) an option to try skip the DVD intro/previews/menus and jump right to the main event. But to each his own. In the 1% of times I want to see the extras I pop it in my standalone player. The rest of the time I rip and compress to MKV as I need to *really* like a movie to pony up 40-50gigs.
(2012-03-04, 03:26)bluray Wrote:
patseguin Wrote:I assume the HDMI out on my Zotax ID41 supports HD
HDMI output is not guarrantee bitstreaming capability. If your Zotac is supporting DTS-HD/TrueHD, it is usually specified on the spec sheet. In order to see the options in the screen shot below, your HTPC, AVR and software have to support DTS-HD/TrueHD...

Sorry to say, but I highly doubt that your Zotac is supporting DTS-HD/TrueHD!

My ID41 supports all audio formats under Windows but has dropout with different versions (Eden and Frodo) under Linux.
This is through HDMI to an Onkyo 606 AV receiver and using XBMCbuntu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Audio0