HD Audio
I am trying to follow bluray's instructionsfor HD Audio and am having no luck. Every movie says "PCM" on my receiver still. I'm not sure why the first 2 pages of the instructions just show screenshots of the Sound control panel though. Are those intended to show you what formats your HDMI device should support ahead of time? My Pioneer recevier supports all HD formats and I assume the HDMI out on my Zotax ID41 supports HD, but I guess I'm not sure. Also, when I ran the ffdshow audio decoder config, I got a missing dll error, not sure if that means anything. When I was done, I looked at my sound prefs and it didn't show any HD encoded formats. Are there updated instructions anywhere? Oh, and I am using Media Player Classic. Should I be using something else?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
If your files are all ripped and you use Windows use this build. If you need an external player then you should ask in that thread, not start a new one.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
patseguin Wrote:I assume the HDMI out on my Zotax ID41 supports HD
HDMI output is not guarrantee bitstreaming capability. If your Zotac is supporting DTS-HD/TrueHD, it is usually specified on the spec sheet. In order to see the options in the screen shot below, your HTPC, AVR and software have to support DTS-HD/TrueHD...

Sorry to say, but I highly doubt that your Zotac is supporting DTS-HD/TrueHD!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Ah OK so it looks like my Zotac is not capable of HD audio. It still sounds pretty damned good, but still bugs me hehe.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
patseguin Wrote:Ah OK so it looks like my Zotac is not capable of HD audio. It still sounds pretty damned good, but still bugs me hehe.
As far as AQ, it shouldn't not make any different between decoding through XBMC or AVR. The only different is that you cannot see DTS-HD/TrueHD display on your very nice AVR screen!
bluray Wrote:As far as AQ, it shouldn't not make any different between decoding through XBMC or AVR. The only different is that you cannot see DTS-HD/TrueHD display on your very nice AVR screen!

That's not quite true - DTS-MA will only be played back as core DTS.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:That's not quite true - DTS-MA will only be played back as core DTS.
That is correct. But for most home theater systems, I doubt that you can hear any different in AQ. I tried on my system with XBMC and AVR, I cannot tell the different in AQ. You might be able to hear some extra BD sound effects in DTS-HD/TrueHD though. I preferred the very bright blue/red DTS-HD/TrueHD display on my AVR from bitstreaming though. I trust my AVR to decode and process audio codec than HTPC....
That differs somewhat from your previous statement that it made no difference to AQ which decoded it, and was inaccurate to begin with.

Pat, unfortunately the ID41 does not support DTS-MA/TrueHD, but at 16bit TrueHD will play losslessly via XBMC's internal decoding. Your receiver will show LPCM. DTS-MA will not be played, only the DTS core. As you say, that still sounds pretty good Smile
bluray Wrote:That is correct. But for most home theater systems, I doubt that you can hear any different in AQ. I tried on my system with XBMC and AVR, I cannot tell the different in AQ. You might be able to hear some extra BD sound effects in DTS-HD/TrueHD though. I preferred the very bright blue/red DTS-HD/TrueHD display on my AVR from bitstreaming though. I trust my AVR to decode and process audio codec than HTPC....

This might be quite true. I've been playing 300 and it sounds so damn killer. It's in True HD but my receiver just says Dolby Digital (I think). I should have thought about that when I went Zotac. I should hook up that machine I was using for a server which has a a nVidia 430 in it, I bet that supports HD audio. not sure it's worth the hassle though although scrolling through box art on the Zotac is a bit slow too.

On a side note, do you have any idea why my rear spears cut off whenever playing any digital surround sound? I have them wireless for a couple reasons. I did the auto setup on my VSX 53 and everything sounds good. I am wondering if the speakers are getting overblown and that is why the wireless receiver is cutting them off. Do you have experience in this?

EDIT: I've been messing with Windows MC and MediaBrowser and it's quite nice. I think in the end XBMC is better but it's very very nice.
I Googled PCM and saw this:

"If your receiver is showing PCM that means it is not resampling the audio and you are getting it the way it was truly intended, Changing your receiver to DD ProLogic/ProLogic II MOVIE or ProLogic II MUSIC is forcing the hardware to resample it before outputting to your speakers."

So I guess it's not a bad thing after all hehe. The thing is it's under MCE with MB. Sound quality is pretty stellar under XBMC though. Should I still give that HDAudio build of XBMC a try?
patseguin Wrote:It's in True HD but my receiver just says Dolby Digital (I think).
Yes, that because TruedHD is already decoded by XBMC to PCM. If it bitstreaming un-molested TrueHD, you will see TrueHD on your AVR display.

patseguin Wrote:I should have thought about that when I went Zotac.
This is why I always tell people to clearly make a list of what they want to achieve before they buy it.

patseguin Wrote:I should hook up that machine I was using for a server which has a a nVidia 430 in it, I bet that supports HD audio. not sure it's worth the hassle though although scrolling through box art on the Zotac is a bit slow too.
If you really want to achieve bitstreaming, GT430 will allow you to achieve it.

patseguin Wrote:On a side note, do you have any idea why my rear spears cut off whenever playing any digital surround sound? I have them wireless for a couple reasons. I did the auto setup on my VSX 53 and everything sounds good. I am wondering if the speakers are getting overblown and that is why the wireless receiver is cutting them off. Do you have experience in this?
I helped a family friend installed a wireless surround speakers. It works fine. Did you perform the Audyssey calibration with it? Or maybe, your wireless speakers are set to cut off at certain ranges.
patseguin Wrote:I Googled PCM and saw this:

"If your receiver is showing PCM that means it is not resampling the audio and you are getting it the way it was truly intended, Changing your receiver to DD ProLogic/ProLogic II MOVIE or ProLogic II MUSIC is forcing the hardware to resample it before outputting to your speakers."
If decoded right, PCM=TrueHD. You shouldn't hear any different.

patseguin Wrote:So I guess it's not a bad thing after all hehe. The thing is it's under MCE with MB. Sound quality is pretty stellar under XBMC though. Should I still give that HDAudio build of XBMC a try?
Since the Zotac is not supporting DTS-HD/TrueHD, it doesn't do any good with HDAudio version in your HTPC. If you want more options, you can try the latest Eden_RC2.
bluray Wrote:HDMI output is not guarrantee bitstreaming capability. If your Zotac is supporting DTS-HD/TrueHD, it is usually specified on the spec sheet. In order to see the options in the screen shot below, your HTPC, AVR and software have to support DTS-HD/TrueHD...

Sorry to say, but I highly doubt that your Zotac is supporting DTS-HD/TrueHD!

I have a sapphire 7970 and dont see the hd audio options you have ?

Dts audio and dolby digital is all i have in there?
Whats that hd audio version of xbmc that one of the devs linked to me? Thats the first ive heard any mention of that.
Missed your post bluray. Yeah i did do the auto calibration. I suppose the speakers could be set to cut off. Would that be a receiver setting or maybe something on the wireless receiver?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Audio0