• 31(current)
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only
(2012-05-13, 12:08)PKOneTwo Wrote: @DDDamian:
what is this intialization tries all about, is it intended?

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=XFkLFRvd

Please enable debugging and repost log - no it should definitely not be spamming the log like that but I need to see the debug-level lines to follow why it did that.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-05-13, 13:03)jpsdr Wrote: I've disabled in the BIOS the HD Via audio. Don't understand why there is trouble now and not before...
Nevertheless, doing this miracly made audio work, on all i've been able to test, flac, aac (yes), ac3, ogg, with several channels (2.0, 5.1, 4.0) and even 32bit. Everything worked, except one video, wich audio was flac 2.0 (but others with flac 2.0 worked).
The log file is here.
There was no audio, and no audio (zero channels) were send to my audio device (according it's front panel).
Here the result from MonInfo :
Code:
Monitor
  Model name............... VSX-921
  Windows description...... Moniteur Plug-and-Play générique VSX-921
  Manufacturer............. Pioneer
  Plug and Play ID......... PIO0000
  Serial number............ n/a
  Manufacture date......... 2010, ISO week 0
  Filter driver............ Monitor
  -------------------------
  EDID revision............ 1.3
  Input signal type........ Digital
  Color bit depth.......... Undefined
  Display type............. RGB color
  Screen size.............. 1100 x 620 mm (49,7 in)
  Power management......... Active off/sleep
  Extension blocs.......... 1 (Unknown - 0x00)
  -------------------------
  DDC/CI................... n/a

Color characteristics
  Default color space...... Non-sRGB
  Display gamma............ 2,20
  Red chromaticity......... Rx 0,683 - Ry 0,317
  Green chromaticity....... Gx 0,313 - Gy 0,581
  Blue chromaticity........ Bx 0,139 - By 0,050
  White point (default).... Wx 0,289 - Wy 0,280
  Additional descriptors... None

Timing characteristics
  Horizontal scan range.... 15-69kHz
  Vertical scan range...... 23-61Hz
  Video bandwidth.......... 150MHz
  CVT standard............. Not supported
  GTF standard............. Not supported
  Additional descriptors... None
  Preferred timing......... Yes
  Native/preferred timing.. 1920x1080p at 50Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1920x1080" 148,500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Detailed timing #1....... 1920x1080p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1920x1080" 148,500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported
     640 x  480p at  60Hz - IBM VGA
     800 x  600p at  60Hz - VESA
    1024 x  768p at  60Hz - VESA
    1280 x 1024p at  60Hz - VESA STD

Report information
  Date generated........... 13/05/2012
  Software revision........ 2.60.0.972
  Data source.............. Registry-Active
  Operating system......... 6.1.7601.2.Service Pack 1

Raw data
  00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,41,2F,00,00,01,01,01,01,00,14,01,03,80,6E,3E,78,2A,D7,B3,AE,51,50,94,23,
  0C,4A,47,21,08,00,81,80,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,02,3A,80,D0,72,38,2D,40,10,2C,
  45,80,4E,6C,42,00,00,1E,02,3A,80,18,71,38,2D,40,58,2C,45,00,4E,6C,42,00,00,1E,00,00,00,FD,00,17,
  3D,0F,45,0F,00,0A,20,20,20,20,20,20,00,00,00,FC,00,56,53,58,2D,39,32,31,0A,20,20,20,20,20,01,CD

I figured the onboard VIA was interfering with the nVidia device - glad disabling that fixed you up. I had a look thru your log for the one 2.0 flac that wasn't playing, and all log entries are good - nothing unexpected in them at all. Not sure if it's an issue with the file itself, which seems likely if similar ones play fine. You might want to use mkvmerge to demux/remux that file, alternately eac3to & more gui can use mkvmerge to do so. If you demux out the flac soundtrack and it plays okay as just an audio file try remux it back in and see what happens. This would indicate an issue with the way it was originally muxed, which is not unusual with some earlier versions of mkvmerge.

For the MonInfo report - re-run MonInfo and browse through the reported devices until you see one that has some audio info in it - the device above was just the monitor, not the receiver. It will show as a seperate device.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-05-13, 17:15)loekf Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 21:32)DDDamian Wrote: @loekf - there's the issue. WASAPI is just the render method - it is effectively passing thru right to the audio driver.

When XBMC is set to decode DTS (DTS 5.1 --> PCM 5.1) that's fine, but that's where it ends. SPDIF cannot send 5.1. If your Creative has 5.1 DACs and you are then using 3 prs of analog cables from the sound card to the receiver, that's fine, but not SPDIF.

To make matters worse, your card is reporting that it's only 2ch PCM, so even the second step there won't work, the PCM 5.1 --> Creative.

Check your Creative setup software and make sure it can accept 5.1pcm because it's not reporting that to Windows. Won't be the first issue I've seen with Creative's drivers.

I'm off now to go see family for the weekend, back on Monday if I don't check in somewhere in between, but keep me posted on what you find out with the Creative setup.

Yes I have 3 analog wires going to my speakers (FL + FR, RL + RL, C + woofer). As Creative didn't update their X-Fi drivers for more than 2 years, guess it's the Creative drivers. Of course, they have a new X-Fi card, but my next built will be either on-board audio or perhaps an Asus Xonar card.

I tried various modes (gaming, entertainment etc.. even bit-thru playback), but the WASAPI report back stays the same (2 channels). Funny thing still is that in DirectSound mode, 5.1 works, despite that XBMC reports 2 channels as well. Even when you switch off the so called 3D Crystalizer, which is upmixing to 5.1 as far as I know.

Yes, Creative has not updated those drivers in ages, which makes me think they are unlikely to now for that card. I do think that your future plans should be based on HDMI, not on dedicated sound cards - you will need HDMI if you wish to use DTS-MA/TrueHD or 24/96 or higher audio and multichannel lpcm.

DirectSound devices will always be reported as 2.0 channel, as this is the max for spdif pcm, and it won't affect passthrough like AC3. I do need to fix that for HDMI devices, but it's kinda secondary as with HDMI you should absolutely be using WASAPI anyways. DirectSound uses a mixer, which has benefits and disadvantages. Benefits include mixing (obviously) and resampling, but AE is capable of both on it's own. The big downsides are audio quality is worse than wasapi, and there is no support for HD audio.
(2012-05-13, 21:13)TRaSH Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 16:16)DDDamian Wrote: @TRaSH - i've seen that SQL error popping up a lot lately - perhaps time to try the full (non-portable) install, and go through your addons to see if any are causing the issue. The crash was an unrelated bug caused by a seperate threading project that I was able to track down - was fixed last night. JMarshall pushed some fixes last night addressing filepaths and the new SQL thumbnail caching which may have fixed the error you're getting - it's a new initiative by him to move the thumbs into the database, and he's been doing some bug-fixes on it.

i downloaded today the nighlty,
and gave it a fast test run.
it works even in portable mode.
did a few fast test with true-hd/dts and some mp3's
the last 5 seconds bug is also removed.
even my wife was impressed. (WAF Big Grin )
Cool
nice work you all,
will do some more testing later this week.

something i'm trying to figure out if there's a sort of change log of the nightly's

Awesome trash - glad to hear it. And yes, it will keep getting better Smile

As Martijn mentions, the commits to XBMC's master branch are the definitive changelogs although they cover everything, not just AE. Typically commits related to AE will have a [AE] prefix, but that's up to the dev doing the commit, and now that it's in master that can include any dev's work.

We have a branch on gnif's and my repo's called AE_DSP which has some advanced work for the next revision of AE including DSPs.
(2012-05-14, 13:52)Warstomper Wrote: I have beent trying to get AE(and Daniela's Patch and more recently using Nightlies) to work on my setup, but no matter what I do, DTS-HD does not seem to work properly. I have the following problems using AE:

- Using WASAPI results in no sound output whatsoever.
- Directsound works(My receiver tells me it's getting the pure audio format, DTS, Dolby, DTS-HD) but from my knowledge, I should have it working over WASAPI.
- When playing a DTS-HD track, my reciever does show it, but the sound is really crackling, or not working at all while the video is running along around 3-5 FPS, making any movie with DTS-HD unwatchable in the current situation.

How can I help you guys gather as much information as you need to be able to troubleshoot this issue? Do you prefer some pre-made samples I can download somewhere, or can I just use any movie I have in my colleciton for the debug log? Is there other information you want me to supply apart from the debug log?

I would love to hear from you guys what info you'd like me to gather and I'll get on to it.

Hi Warstomper - just make sure debugging is enabled and play a single movie that you know works (perhaps with Daniela's patch) and I'll be happy to take a look. We've added quite a bit of debugging code to help us during this initial roll-out, so that's fine to start - if I need more info after reviewing I'll let you know. Cheers.

(2012-05-14, 15:55)paolov74 Wrote: Hi DDDamian,

I'm succesfully trying latest nightly AE, expecially bitstreaming wise (TrueHD and DTS-HD are passing through nicely). Compared to DanielaE latest build I get severe stuttering after seeking, only on bluray folder and not on mkv: I'll submit a complete log ASAP.

I remember some advancedsettings.xml entry you mentioned in your early post: sinkbuffertime, audiophile, etc.. Are these settings still valid or they get lost during xbmc startup?

Thanks a lot for the big effort!

With the exception of <transcodeto> and <allchannelstereo> the advancedsettings entries listed in post #2 of this thread are active. Transcoding is automatic now depending on other settinggs, and <allchannelstereo> is now a guisetting under System>Audio Output>Output Stereo to All Speakers (requires "receiver accepts multichannel lpcm"). I'll update the second post shortly. We're working on better logic and a seperate gui window for various settings to streamline it and provide easy access to upcoming DSP settings.
Seems to work with DTSHDMA and TrueHD but XBMC seems really slow (Movie posters in Coverflow take some time to load and other stuff) but maybe thats just a skin problem.
Going to try different skins.
(2012-05-14, 22:39)bambi73 Wrote: Hello all,

today I compiled xbmc master and got no audio, completelly nothing, not even skin sounds.
First problem what I found was that audio setting was reset to HDMI 7.1, so changed it back to Analog 2.0 (my PC is regular development PC with onboard audio and headphones, so no receiver etc.), but nothing changed, no sound. There is debug log, but no apparent audio/hw related error. I tried to use forceDirectSound but again nothing changed. Not sure if these logs helps to AE developers, but at least I hope Smile

Edit: It's my first meeting with AE so i don't follow this thread. If my issue is known/already solved then please forward me to correct place.
Edit2: Looks like there already exists issue in Trac for it.

Hi there - the log shows WASAPI is initializing correctly, but I don't see where you try to play something, so not sure what happens when you do. I would need a log where you actually attempt to play something. I would recommend with WASAPI. Thx.
(2012-05-15, 18:22)TeKo Wrote: Seems to work with DTSHDMA and TrueHD but XBMC seems really slow (Movie posters in Coverflow take some time to load and other stuff) but maybe thats just a skin problem.
Going to try different skins.

Hi TeKo - a problem has been found in PAPlayer which is causing higher-than-normal cpu usage and will be addressed, but that's not the issue here. There has been work done as a seperate project to move thumbs into the databases, and that is resulting in slower thumbnail display. The dev handling that is looking at performance improvements in the new thumb-handling code (this includes covers).
(2012-05-15, 17:50)DDDamian Wrote: I figured the onboard VIA was interfering with the nVidia device - glad disabling that fixed you up.
I'm not so happy to be obliged of this workaround, as it worked perfectly fine before new AE...Confused

(2012-05-15, 17:50)DDDamian Wrote: For the MonInfo report - re-run MonInfo and browse through the reported devices until you see one that has some audio info in it - the device above was just the monitor, not the receiver.
hmmm.... the problem is that only the [sample] have audio information. All my devices have only what i've provided to you...

(2012-05-15, 17:50)DDDamian Wrote: It will show as a seperate device.
..... nope !
(2012-05-15, 20:41)jpsdr Wrote:
(2012-05-15, 17:50)DDDamian Wrote: I figured the onboard VIA was interfering with the nVidia device - glad disabling that fixed you up.
I'm not so happy to be obliged of this workaround, as it worked perfectly fine before new AE...Confused

I'm sorry to hear that, but if you have another solution (mine worked) I'm all ears. You are not "obliged" to do anything if you think it inconvenient or have a better solution to making your multiple sound devices work together, including using Eden. Perhaps nightlies aren't for you.

(2012-05-15, 17:50)DDDamian Wrote: For the MonInfo report - re-run MonInfo and browse through the reported devices until you see one that has some audio info in it - the device above was just the monitor, not the receiver.
hmmm.... the problem is that only the [sample] have audio information. All my devices have only what i've provided to you...

If MonInfo doesn't detect it we won't either. The report you attached has no audio information reported. Check into EDID issues and resolve those - they are outside the scope of AE or XBMC.

(2012-05-15, 17:50)DDDamian Wrote: It will show as a seperate device.
..... nope !

See previous comment.
(2012-05-15, 21:15)DDDamian Wrote: Check into EDID issues and resolve those.
Huh
Wich means ?
Sorry, i'm totaly lost here. Can you tell me what i have to do ? (Or a link wich will explain to me what i have to do ?).

I've also trouble to understand what seems to be (at least for me) contradictory informations.
- You said that if moninfo can't detect it, either you. But the device is present in Wasapi and Windows.
- You said information show only 2 channels possibility, but i've configured 7.1 in both Windows and XBMC, and XBMC played correctly 5.1 files, either pathrough (DTS), or not (FLAC).
Finaly, all of these made me totaly confused...
(2012-05-15, 18:26)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-05-14, 22:39)bambi73 Wrote: today I compiled xbmc master and got no audio, completelly nothing, not even skin sounds.

Hi there - the log shows WASAPI is initializing correctly, but I don't see where you try to play something, so not sure what happens when you do. I would need a log where you actually attempt to play something. I would recommend with WASAPI. Thx.

I mean it don't do any sound, not even "bubble sound" from skin. Of course I tried to play some video files, with same (bad) result.
There is with debug log where I tried to play some playback.
Thx

EDIT: Ufff, please ignore both posts Smile. My skin doesn't show scroll bar in settings and so I missed Audio output device option.
Never thought that there is something under all these greyed out toggles Confused
Case solved, but maybe you should move this quite important option bit higher in list.
@Bambi - i totally agree - we're looking at the best way to implement the gui settings.
(2012-05-15, 21:40)jpsdr Wrote:
(2012-05-15, 21:15)DDDamian Wrote: Check into EDID issues and resolve those.
Huh
Wich means ?
Sorry, i'm totaly lost here. Can you tell me what i have to do ? (Or a link wich will explain to me what i have to do ?).

I've also trouble to understand what seems to be (at least for me) contradictory informations.
- You said that if moninfo can't detect it, either you. But the device is present in Wasapi and Windows.
- You said information show only 2 channels possibility, but i've configured 7.1 in both Windows and XBMC, and XBMC played correctly 5.1 files, either pathrough (DTS), or not (FLAC and AAC).
- You AE can't decode AAC yet. Nevertheless, i've been able to play 5.1 and 2.0 AAC files, with and without the "Device can process AAC" option checked.

Finaly, all of these made me totaly confused...

Most of what you're asking above, and all along, has to do with the detection of channels. You have an HDMI device which is only reporting two channels. If you are plugged into a TV that's fine, with a receiver it should report more. That's why I asked for the MonInfo report, which isn't reporting anything about your audio device at the end of the HDMI connection. It should report the device's audio capabilities, which is far different from "the device is present in Wasapi and Windows" Yes, it is present, and reports two channels.

Passthrough is not dependent on the channel settings, it is "passed through" as is, encoded as it originally was, which is why it plays fine even though channels detected are only two.

Typically this is due to EDID issues as mentioned. Frankly I don't care to be the google-bitch here (as some of the devs call it). Feel free to though. I've pointed you in the right direction several times here, fixed your issues, then got an "I don't like it", so you're on your own there.

The AAC button does nothing at this point. As mentioned earlier "AAC will not play unless your device decodes it natively. If it's playing then obviously it does.
DDDamian-

Issue of xbmc recovering when the associated wasapi device is turned off seems to be fixed. However, my processor goes up to about 30% and stays there while it tries to reconnect hundreds of thousands of times. I'm not certain if others have mentioned it, but thought I'd post in here to get your take. I didnt see any mention of it in this thread since the end of april (well before merge).

Code:
15:38:00 T:4212   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: GetBuffer failed due to AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED
15:38:00 T:4280  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 00:05
15:38:00 T:4212   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: GetBuffer failed due to AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED
15:38:00 T:5716   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1911 times.
15:38:00 T:5716  NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
16:19:22 T:3120   ERROR: Previous line repeats 94731218 times.
16:19:22 T:3120  NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
16:19:22 T:4212   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: GetBuffer failed due to AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED
16:19:22 T:5820   ERROR: Previous line repeats 9693 times.
16:19:22 T:5820  NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
16:19:22 T:4212   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: GetBuffer failed due to AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED
16:19:23 T:5312   ERROR: Previous line repeats 27113 times.
16:19:23 T:5312  NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
16:19:23 T:4212   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: GetBuffer failed due to AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED
16:19:23 T:2372   ERROR: Previous line repeats 5463 times.
16:19:23 T:2372  NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
16:19:23 T:4212   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: GetBuffer failed due to AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED
16:19:25 T:5384   ERROR: Previous line repeats 80981 times.
16:19:25 T:5384  NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
16:19:25 T:4212   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: GetBuffer failed due to AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED

I can probably get a debug log if that will help--just figured you may have already seen this at some point and have an answer or hopefully a solution in the works Smile

thanks!
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only3