[LIVE] Hardware questions
Hi,
Recently registered, just getting started.

I'm going with the Live version, on the HDD, on an Athlon II X64 Dual-Core w/ 4G of ram and a 160G IDE HDD.

Looking at this Video card: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+ONE+51...Id=3504376
You can't tell from the picture, but it DOES have hdmi out.

And this Remote: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...dition=new

I'm told it is an ORtek VRC-1100. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_C...views#VRC-1100

I understand the remote is working out of the box on Eden, but I will be using Dharma.

Would appreciate any feedback on either item.

Thanks,
Charles
Still can't help you with the hardware part, but there's one thing I forgot to mention to you in your other thread. If you're looking at Live, then you may also want to check out OpenELEC. Simply put, it's XBMC integrated on top of a tailor made Linux OS (as opposite to Live which runs on top of a plain stripped down, non GUI Ubuntu).

I didn't learn about OpenELEC before I had my Live install up and running - and I am (at least at times) an if-it-aint-broken-dont-fix-it guy - so I haven't tried it myself, but many people who want a playback only, set-top style HTPC love it.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Looked at the OpenElec pages....ummmmm...not so sure about that.
I'm somewhat experienced with Linux, and could probably handle it, not sure why I would want to set up and configure a Linux machine and THEN load XBMC on it.

Not too concerned about the boot time, it'll probably stay on all the time.
The unnecessary services shouldn't be a problem on that CPU with 4G of ram.

Am I wrong?

[EDIT] After re-reading the install section of the OpenElec site, it appears that I am in fact wrong.
Seems I would just overwrite the Windows install with OE, and then it's all done.
Cool! That bears much closer inspection.
Thanks for that link!
The only thing that concerns me now is the lack of supported hardware. At least the lack of *documented* supported hardware.
Nothing wrong with giving it a whirl on my pc and seeing what happens!
Openelec has more issues than a typical Windows 7 + XBMC (non-live) installation from my experience. Tried it both ways, ended up installing Win 7 x64 and standard XBMC and it works flawlessly now.
Foxconn NT-A3500 E-350 Fusion Nettop - Win7x64 Ult - XBMC Eden
Yeah, but first choice being Live, why not look into OE? Besides, it's pretty fast to drop it onto a USB stick, boot and see how it goes with the HW.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
nobody_here Wrote:Openelec has more issues than a typical Windows 7 + XBMC (non-live) installation from my experience. Tried it both ways, ended up installing Win 7 x64 and standard XBMC and it works flawlessly now.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, Win7 is not an option here. It would have to be XP w/ SP3.
be careful with your remote choice.
under LINUX, u might wanna make sure it'll work right.
thats why i list remotes that work in my HTPC guide
eskro Wrote:be careful with your remote choice.
under LINUX, u might wanna make sure it'll work right.
thats why i list remotes that work in my HTPC guide

ARG...this is getting confusing. I'll read your guide in a while, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Hardware questions0