Clean Install of (safe?) Dharma Crashes after a week
Yes, a week of running perfect. No hiccups. And tonight I'm watching a movie, and about 1 hour into the movie it freezes. I try a few things with the remote but noting is responding other than the slide over menu. And when I reboot the ATV, start from scratch... it says that any movie I select is no longer in the library do I want to remove it?

Went downstairs and checked the media drive... and of course all the movies are there. I purposely did a full clean patchstick on the ATV, didn't even bother with Boxee, only downloaded Dharma and I'm running Confluence as a skin because its supposed to be the most stable. Like I said, its been up and running for a week perfect, no more out of sync audio/video, no freezes every 22 minutes... and then Kaboom.

Is it time for me to learn how to generate a log and have someone look at it? As a last resort I will reboot the iMac and see if powering down & rebooting the media drive does anything.
Yes, a debug log is the first point of call - remember to enable debugging (Settings->System->Debugging)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Yes, a debug log is the first point of call - remember to enable debugging (Settings->System->Debugging)

OK, will do. I have enabled it but I was wondering how long I should let the file "build"? I realize I have to store it online and wondered if there's an exact guide on how XMBC users should gather and format the log or is that automatic?

BTW, powering the remote media drive off and then on seems to let it run again but I haven't watched a full movie. I'll try to finish my movie from last night. Hope that helps.

Mike
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file

The only thing you would want to modify on the log file is if you have a network share password, and then just replace the password with asterisks (*) or something. If you use a text editor that has find/replace then it's pretty easy to make sure no passwords get exposed. Other than that, don't edit the log file. Just copy and paste it to pastebin.com and then throw us a link.
(2012-03-06, 12:58)Ned Scott Wrote: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file

The only thing you would want to modify on the log file is if you have a network share password, and then just replace the password with asterisks (*) or something. If you use a text editor that has find/replace then it's pretty easy to make sure no passwords get exposed. Other than that, don't edit the log file. Just copy and paste it to pastebin.com and then throw us a link.

I'd like to enable the log file and I can see the blue button... thats fine. Once I do this text starts appearing in the top left of the screen. What I can't determine from the following instructions is exactly how to access the log file, and should I do this for 10 minutes or 10 hours or what?

First you want to enable debugging on XBMC. Go to System settings -> System -> Debugging. Make sure "enable debug logging" is on. At this point you should see some weird text pop up on the screen.

OK, did that.

Exit and re-enter XBMC or reboot the Apple TV 1 so that the debug log contains start-up information as well. Every time you exit/re-enter XBMC a fresh XBMC.log file is made.

OK, did that.

Now do whatever it is you normally do to experience the issue on the Apple TV 1. Even if it doesn't do anything on screen it will probably still record useful information in the log file that we can use. It will show us what XBMC tried to do and hopefully why it wasn't able to do it.

OK, I booted ATV1, went to XMBC, and once again, there's nothing in the library, and the media drive that has my movies is not listed. Having a hard time trying to "find" that drive as there are no real instructions on the step by step procedure for adding a source.

Grab a copy of Cyberduck or FileZilla, both free and both work on Mac and Windows.
Use the program to make a SFTP connection. The IP will be whatever IP the ATV1 has.

OK, I have my ATV IP address.

You can find the IP address by exiting XBMC, and in the normal ATV1 menu go to Settings -> General -> About. Then look for "IP Address" and use the numbers listed there. It will be something like 192.168.1.4, or something similar that has 4 groups of numbers.

OK

The username and password for the connection will be "frontrow"
Make the connection and you should see folders and files. Find your way to
/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/

Do you mean open terminal on my iMac and try to ssh? I tried that but once there how do you get to this destination? Here's what I get:

Last login: Mon Mar 12 21:02:52 2012
-bash-2.05b$ /users
-bash: /users: is a directory
-bash-2.05b$ cd frontrow
-bash: cd: frontrow: No such file or directory
-bash-2.05b$

That is the folder that has XBMC.log
You should be able to just click and drag the file off to your computer to make a copy. Open it with a text editor, select all, and paste it to a site like http://pastebin.com (since it will be a very large file). Then mention the url of the pastebin file you just made in your post reporting the issue.

I'm sure I can handle this once I find the file.
No, re-read the instructions. Open it in Cyberduck.

"Use the program to make a SFTP connection."

Cyberduck will have a spot to select SFTP, IP address (for the ATV1), username, and password. Once all that is entered you will make a connection from the Mac to the ATV1 with a window that shows folders. In those folders, navigate to "/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/". There you will see XBMC.log, and you can drag it from the Cyberduck window to your desktop.
Hey Ned...

I've been out of commission but I'm back now. Today I installed the debug add-on gadget and I have a pastebin link. Do I post that here or PM it to you or what? I don't have any kind of password for my ATV so before I post the log... how do I find if my home network share password is showing up in this logfile? I tried using the text editor and the "FIND" function, said that it was not found.

Mike
Then it should be safe to paste the link here
OK... here's the link: http://pastebin.com/vyGXTPcg

I have no clue with regard to how long I should keep the ATV on/off or the log recording on/off. All I know is that when I did a fresh install it worked perfectly, and then a week later I can't find my library files. Also, the weather option never seemed to work.

Mike
Anyone taking a look at the log? Did I do this right? Just curious because I posted it a couple of days ago.

Mike
Other information that might be helpful:

OSX Version Think its the standard 10.4 image that you download for ATV1 to work.
ATV Platform (v.3.0.2)
Launcher version: V.3.2.5
Installed via Launcher after Patchstick
SVN Revision I'm using Dharma v.11.0
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem (The more specific the better.)
FULL Debug Log (http://pastebin.com/vyGXTPcg)

GUI Problems: Using Dharma, the Library disappears after a week or so, can't find menu to restore remote Media drive. Yesterday I was bored, downloaded Eden and its working again. Go figure.
Skin name: Confluence

Playback Problems: If the library shows up, I don't see any major playback issues
Video codec and container: Using Handbrake and H.264
Audio codec and container.
MediaInfo output ( goggled mediainfo for ATV1 and nothing really pops up except for windows?)
You may also be asked for a sample.

Other things that may be useful:
System hardware specs: If you're asking about my iMac its a 24" Aluminum, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 500 GB HDD.
So it's working fine with Eden?

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
At the moment yes. But it worked with Eden before and then quit on me. I re-patched the ATV, only installed Dharma/Confluence, didn't even try to install Boxee and it worked for a week and then I seemed to have lost the connection to the library. Yesterday I just downloaded Eden on a lark, and opened it and it worked. I am still suspicious but now we'll have to see if Eden has some improvements that somehow keeps the link to my media drive active. Maybe someone will diagnose my log file and tell me "OMG... delete this and add that" and it'll be rock-stable for another year?
Dharma isn't being developed anymore and there are hundreds of changes in Eden so I think you will have to create another thread [b}if[/b] it happens on Eden

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
OK, we'll see what happens. BTW, is there a way to delete media library sources? I seem to have a collection of dead ends, some are IP addresses, some are drives that are renamed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clean Install of (safe?) Dharma Crashes after a week0