[ATV2] Self encoded MKV crashes, M4V does not
Platform: Apple TV 2
iOS: 4.4.4.
aTV Flash (Black) 1.3
XBMC Build: 11.0-RC2 Git: 20120229 f38655f (compiled Mar. 1, 2012)
Install Method: aTV Flash installer

I have an MKV, that I've personally encoded in Handbrake, and it is crashing my XBMC Apple TV 2.

When I attempt to play the file I encoded, "REDLINE_normal B HB.mkv", it crashes XBMC to reboot. I have also encoded the same file, using the same settings, but into a .m4v container and it plays without crashing.

The files are being served through a wired network from a Mac Mini running OS X 10.6.8.

On the Apple TV 2, I am running aTV Flash 1.3. For further testing, I installed both the Firecore media player and Plex client (and server on the mini) onto my ATV2. Both will play the .mkv file in question without problem.

I have included links to the debug log, sample of the crashing file, the playing file and their MediaInfo logs.

XBMC Log:

http://pastebin.com/P0xUn5FC

The log should show me first playing the .mkv file that crashes, and then on restart, playing the .m4v and having it play fine.

Sample Files:

Files below were encoded in OS X 10.6.8, with Handbrake nightly version 4474svn, using the "Regular>Normal" settings. I have also encoded using the latest stable (0.9.6) with the same results in XBMC.

.mkv test file that crashes XBMC(REDLINE_normal B HB.mkv):
http://www.zshare.net/download/992676353b045303/

MediaInfo file for crashing .mkv (REDLINE_normal B HB.mkv):
http://pastebin.com/3hkD1Wct

.m4v test file that plays in XBMC (REDLINE_normal A HB.m4v):
http://www.zshare.net/download/99267561ee120235/

MediaInfo file for playing .m4v (REDLINE_normal A HB.m4v):
http://pastebin.com/56Lnmivb
These crashes are very likly because of you installed firecore mediaplayer and use smb. MedaPlayer is incompatible with XBMC and leads to crashing. You have to deinstall it. We can't do anything about it - its because of the architecture of "apps" on the AppleTV which are only plugins.

If you want to be sure that this is the cause you have to post the crashlog.

Beside that your encoder settings are looking good to me. But i would go with ac3 passthrough soudn instead of AAC. At least if you are using 5.1 playback.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Sample file plays fine for me on my iPhone.
Memphiz Wrote:These crashes are very likly because of you installed firecore mediaplayer and use smb. MedaPlayer is incompatible with XBMC and leads to crashing. You have to deinstall it. We can't do anything about it - its because of the architecture of "apps" on the AppleTV which are only plugins.

If you want to be sure that this is the cause you have to post the crashlog.

Beside that your encoder settings are looking good to me. But i would go with ac3 passthrough soudn instead of AAC. At least if you are using 5.1 playback.

I had read in another post that Firecore mediaplayer could be the cause of crashes, so I had uninstalled it after installing XBMC. I have since reinstalled it for testing the crashing mkv. When I uninstall it again, will I need to FTP in and remove anything manually, or should the Firecore uninstaller work as is?

EDIT: I have uninstalled the Firecore mediaplayer, but the file still crashes.

Also, is the crash log different than the XBMC log posted above? If so, where do I find it?

Ned Scott Wrote:Sample file plays fine for me on my iPhone.

Do both sample files (mkv and m4v) play fine?
first in my signature shows you all about the different logs and where to find them...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Memphiz Wrote:first in my signature shows you all about the different logs and where to find them...

Saw the XBMC log info, missed the others.

As to the logs located at

/private/var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

There are approximately 100 logs in the format of "AppleTV_0000-00-00-000000_Apple-TV.plist", starting with "AppleTV_2012-01-29-143649_Apple-TV.plist" and ending with "AppleTV_2012-02-29-170355_Apple-TV.plist". I have included that last one, but if you need a different one, or one from another location, please let me know.

I have included both the "syslog" and "AppleTV_2012-02-29-170355_Apple-TV.plist" in a single .zip file located here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?o5ycmai4off398x

When I attempted to paste either log at pastebin.com or the ubuntu site equivalent it would lock up my browser (both chrome and safari) requiring a force quit.

Thank you for looking through these logs and helping me sort this out, if you need anything else, please let me know.
Yep its exactly as i thought. The crash is caused by the libsmbclient which was installed by firecore mediaplayer. Please ensure to remove /usr/local/lib/libsmbclient.dylib on your atv2 and reboot after that.
Memphiz Wrote:Yep its exactly as i thought. The crash is caused by the libsmbclient which was installed by firecore mediaplayer. Please ensure to remove /usr/local/lib/libsmbclient.dylib on your atv2 and reboot after that.

Thanks for the reply.

I removed the file and restarted, but the mkv in question still crashed XBMC. I performed a full power-down (removed the power cord), tried again and it still crashed.

Here are the logs:

AppleTV_2012-02-29-170355_Apple-TV.plist:
http://pastebin.com/UWwZLcwQ

syslog:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zivt3eqwg54wwqz

The AppleTV plist is the latest one in the directory. It has the same name as the last one I uploaded, but is copied from after the latest testing. The syslog is too large to paste so it is a .zip file.

Is it possible that the Plex client conflicts in the same way? I had also installed it for testing, like the firecore media player, but removed it as well.

If you need anything else, please let me know.
the crashlog is not the current one. there must be a newer one. can't look into that zip right now (only on ipad)...
Memphiz Wrote:the crashlog is not the current one. there must be a newer one. can't look into that zip right now (only on ipad)...

I double-checked again, but I can't seem to find any logs after that. Could they be anywhere else? My recollection is the last day of logs is also the same day I updated XBMC through the Firecore updater. Not sure if that broke something.

Is there any harm in uninstalling XBMC through the Firecore uninstall and reinstalling? If it's okay and after the uninstall is done, should I FTP in and delete anything manually?
Search the syslog for the word "Crash" and it should tell you where the log is (its prefixed with the date and time the crash happened). Verify that you hit the right "Crash" - e.x. the crash of XBMC ... just read some lines above the Crash to figure out which app crashed...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Self encoded MKV crashes, M4V does not0