PCI Gt 520 card; requirements for 3d 1080p; 24p output?
So I see in the hardware recommendations thread that you need a gt 520 or similar video card to handle 3d.

I see there is a PCI (not express) card with that chipset at newegg for $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814500228

As you might guess i'm thinking of putting this in a crappy old system, an athlon (non 64) 2Ghz or 1.6GHz i think

So, my question: are there other processing requirements for 3d, higher than required for standard 1080p h.264? I have an 8400 card in the athlon box now, and i get flawless playback of high quality 1080p sources.

second question, is 24p possible with this card? Currently running linux; didn't see any option for 24fps in the nvidia control panel with the 8400 card.
I believe the biggest difference between 3d capable and non-capable cards is whether they support hdmi 1.4a or not.

hdmi 1.4a is required for "full" SBS (or other "full" 3D methods such as frame packed, etc) due to bandwidth.

I honestly don't know whether the non-expressness of the pci would cause a bottleneck for 3D

PS. I am using the 520 in an older athlon box on pci express 1.0 (as opposed to 2.0) but haven't tried 3D
aptalca Wrote:I believe the biggest difference between 3d capable and non-capable cards is whether they support hdmi 1.4a or not.

hdmi 1.4a is required for "full" SBS (or other "full" 3D methods such as frame packed, etc) due to bandwidth.

I honestly don't know whether the non-expressness of the pci would cause a bottleneck for 3D

Good to know, thanks. I can find the bandwidth numbers and do the math from there.

hmm, now that i think about it i think my tv (mitsubishi) is hdmi 1.3 only anyway. I will figure that out. Appreciate the info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PCI Gt 520 card; requirements for 3d 1080p; 24p output?0