Unraid "Math"
Also worth adding a UPS in case of a power supply failure. If the server is working at the time of a power cut you could lose more than one drives worth of data.
T800 Wrote:Also worth adding a UPS in case of a power supply failure. If the server is working at the time of a power cut you could lose more than one drives worth of data.
I completely agree. I think it's worth it just from a pure convenience perspective. You can setup the system so that it will automatically shut itself off when the UPS batteries are nearly depleted and it works wonderfully. So the only time I need to touch the server is if I want to make upgrades to it or if the power is off for more than about 1.5 hours - and in that case I just need to hit the power button to turn it back on. Building a home media server (unraid or anything else) is probably the best decision I have ever made.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
T800 Wrote:Also worth adding a UPS in case of a power supply failure. If the server is working at the time of a power cut you could lose more than one drives worth of data.

Yes... that is how 2 hard drives failed at work with a power outage. I been wanting to get a UPS ... i think i should.
I just had a drive fail in my unraid box. Fortunately I had plenty of free space so I
1. Moved the data to another drive.
2. Changed my shares to no longer use the old drive.
3. Changed the failed drive to not used.
4. Telnet'd in and ran a single command that fully removed the drive from the array config.
5. Recalculated parity.
6. Copied a couple movies to the array and watched them. Wink
I almost forgot - tomorrow I'll pull the bad drive and send it back for warranty replacement.
Wait, how many drives are supported by one parity drive? I thought it was 4 to 1
(2012-03-15, 08:12)tubby Wrote: Wait, how many drives are supported by one parity drive? I thought it was 4 to 1

1 parity drive to as many as 20 disks.
Holy &$@"/ I need to build one of these like now.
You need a parity and a cache drive if you are using SAB right? SAB cannot write straight to the array?
parity you want no matter what otherwise you don't have any protection for a failed drive

as far as a cache and sab....I don't think a cache is a requirement per say but since sab will be pegging the drive a lot then it def would be suggested.....then the drives in the array would only need to spin up if the mover script moved the files from the cache to the array
WE ALL WE GOT
(2012-03-21, 21:51)bumperjeep Wrote: You need a parity and a cache drive if you are using SAB right? SAB cannot write straight to the array?
You can install sab onto a cache drive, a data drive in the parity protected array, or a non-array drive. The beauty of using it on a non-array drive is that you can use this method with the free version. If you have a paid license then the cache drive is probably the way to go. The last resort is to put it onto a data drive in the array - but I would not recommend doing this.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2012-03-22, 00:50)wsume99 Wrote:
(2012-03-21, 21:51)bumperjeep Wrote: You need a parity and a cache drive if you are using SAB right? SAB cannot write straight to the array?
You can install sab onto a cache drive, a data drive in the parity protected array, or a non-array drive. The beauty of using it on a non-array drive is that you can use this method with the free version. If you have a paid license then the cache drive is probably the way to go. The last resort is to put it onto a data drive in the array - but I would not recommend doing this.

Agreed. I've had SAB, Sickbeard, and Couchpotato installed 1st on a data drive, which means the data drive never spins down. Then I moved it to a non-array drive, and finally moved it to my cache drive once I added one.
Why don't you use RAID 5? RAID 5 places spreads the parity over all the disks
(2012-03-22, 15:34)Tycho91 Wrote: Why don't you use RAID 5? RAID 5 places spreads the parity over all the disks

And it spins all the disk all the time and if 2 drives fail you lose the entire array and all the data on it. Raid 5 is an excellent solution for a business server. For a media NAS it isn't very good.
(2012-03-22, 16:44)TugboatBill Wrote:
(2012-03-22, 15:34)Tycho91 Wrote: Why don't you use RAID 5? RAID 5 places spreads the parity over all the disks

And it spins all the disk all the time and if 2 drives fail you lose the entire array and all the data on it. Raid 5 is an excellent solution for a business server. For a media NAS it isn't very good.

Worse then that, if it does survive a long time, then you're in even worse trouble. If they stop making your RAID controller, then it dies, better hope you can find that model on ebay or your whole array is blown =\

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unraid "Math"0