Automatic Subtitle Selection based on Audio Language?
Hello, I'm new to XBMC but haven't seen this idea/feature discussed anywhere yet:

Is there anyway in XBMC to dynamic select whether (or which) subtitles will display based on the language of the selected audio file?

For example, if I'm playing a movie from an MKV file with an english audio track, I don't want any subtitles to display (beyond forced subs, which XBMC supports). However if I'm playing a movie with a Japanese audio track, I want English subtitles automatically enabled if available. Is this possible today or with Eden?

The Windows DirectShow splitter LavSplitter has a very clever syntax for managing these subtitle selection scenarios in DirectShow players. It would be awesome to see something similar implemented as advancedsettings.xml options in XBMC.

Edit: Added a FeatureRequest ticket for this feature. Check it out here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12775 and comment on it if you are interested.
was there ever any feedback on this?
It's been added to the latest nightly builds, and will be there for v12 (Frodo) final.
Forced subtitles is maybe supported by XMBC but not in a .MKV container.

I am not able to force a certain subtitle to an audio track. If I am wrong it would be cool if somebody can tell how to do...

(2012-06-26, 09:12)moravec Wrote: Forced subtitles is maybe supported by XMBC but not in a .MKV container.

I am not able to force a certain subtitle to an audio track. If I am wrong it would be cool if somebody can tell how to do...
It does and works perfectly in my set-up.

First thing you might want to do is check that the 'forced' subs track has been correctly flagged - download mkvtoolnix (if you don't already have it) and open mkvmerge from the package, then mkvmerge\file\header editor and load your file. You can then check whether the file has the correct forced flag set - if not change it.

There is nothing to set-up in xbmc - if the flag is set correctly xbmc will pick-up and display.

What programme do you use to rip?

I use makemkv.

So if I have Audio English, German and Subtitles German, German forced so the match should be:

Audio: English, Subtitle: German
Audio: German, Subtitle: German forced

I don't think this can be forced...
Why do you think that it can't be forced?

Users on other forums have also reported issues with MakeMKV not setting the flags correclty - try what I suggested earlier and see if the flag has been set to 'forced' and change it if it hasn't.
Because forced subtitle is assigned to which audio? I have two subtitles one German and the second German forced. As listed above they should be linked.
Linked to what? both streams are independent. Might be better to break down what you are actually attempting to achieve here.

There is no reason for audio and sub streams to be linked. The forced streams will work with both English and German audio/video tracks, as will the 'normal' subtitles should you choose to use them.

You choose the Audio track you want to hear and the 'forced' subs will be played in unison with the Audio and Video tracks.
So you say that if I have Audio English and German subtitles, also the second subtitle is displayd the one with the forced flag?
I have PGS subtitles - maybe not working then? XBMC is still lacking full PGS sub support (move, place) I reckon...
(2012-06-26, 15:08)moravec Wrote: So you say that if I have Audio English and German subtitles, also the second subtitle is displayd the one with the forced flag?
AFAIK if you choose to view the full sub stream, the forced stream contents will be ignored, as they will be included in the full sub stream. Choose not to have any of the full subtitle streams showing and the 'forced' subs kick in.

Aha PGS subs - don't use them, but I think I remember there being problems with them in the past, though I thought that had been resolved - perhaps not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic Subtitle Selection based on Audio Language?0