• 8(current)
Atv3?
(2012-03-12, 16:25)frieten Wrote: how is it that no one knows how much bloody ram is in this thing yet? stupid apple never releasing full specs.

I would *assume* 512mb but we will have to wait until iFixIt (normally the quickest) give it a teardown. The ATV2 had the same as iPod Touch 4th Gen and the original iPad. So it would make sense for the ATV3 to have 512, matching the iPhone 4S (I think) and the iPad 2. Just a guess though.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
I think there is a high chance this will have a newer/alternative/updated OS, and therefore unable to jailbreak at release.
I guess it's just too much to ask for this thing to support dts-hd and truehd audio? I'll still pick up one anyways and sell my atv2 on ebay as it's worth the 1080p (no handbrake needed for BR's)- but S*$* I was really hoping for hd audio support.. The hopeful addition of a JB/XBMC though will still make it worthwhile..
anyone getting one today to test?
yeah anyone got any results yet? im so impatient lol if i lived in the US i'd get one right now!
I'm in the AppleStore right now on XBMC, and none of these clowns in here knows what XBMC is... What a shame! I was hoping to here better news about a JB for this device so I could pick one up.. I guess I'll have to wait.
I got one.
I remuxed a couple of .mkv I had to .mp4, using ffmpeg and streamed them to ATV3 from iTunes.

Basically, 1080p, 8mbps average bitrate, high profile (with cabac/b_pyramid/weighted ref frames) works fine. I will try other files with higher bitrate later.

At this point, I'm thinking once jailbroken, given it's cost, why would anyone want a dedicated htpc.

The only thing I've been having trouble with, is trying out is DTS inside .mp4, I've been having trouble muxing it to try it out. Maybe I should be using newer ffmpeg, the one I have is 0.10.2.
(2012-04-22, 15:20)risk Wrote: I got one.
I remuxed a couple of .mkv I had to .mp4, using ffmpeg and streamed them to ATV3 from iTunes.

Basically, 1080p, 8mbps average bitrate, high profile (with cabac/b_pyramid/weighted ref frames) works fine. I will try other files with higher bitrate later.

At this point, I'm thinking once jailbroken, given it's cost, why would anyone want a dedicated htpc.

The only thing I've been having trouble with, is trying out is DTS inside .mp4, I've been having trouble muxing it to try it out. Maybe I should be using newer ffmpeg, the one I have is 0.10.2.

I got one also.... thanks for the report!! Mine has been on my closet shelf in the plastic since I bought it, wont open until JB and XBMC. Like a kid waiting for Christmas!
(2012-04-22, 15:20)risk Wrote: I got one.

Vastly better remote, internal storage, HD audio, other PC based apps, file sharing.....
All Apple TV's are a bargain for what they can do but dedicated HTPC they are not imo.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atv3?0