• 3(current)
Atv3?
Maetrik Wrote:So the new ATV3 is an iPad2 without a screen. Not that bad, but i'll stay with my ATV2s.

Ipad2 is a dual core A5 not a single core. Yes?

Seems weird to me that it's single core. I would think the dual core A5 process would be yielding high by now so why a single core? The GPU is quite a boost over ATV2 A4, its hard to make a comparison on the CPU if its single core.
oh yes you're right. well then it even more is a reason not to buy it if you own an ATV2. guess the improvement will not be that big, but we will see a soon as it is jailbroken D
It might be ok. I still use the ATV1 with Crystalcard as much as the ATV2 because the Geforce 7 in the ATV1 renders the UI better for my taste. I have never bothered looking at how the UI looks on and iphone 4s as I dont have one. Really my only complaint with the ATV2 is the UI is sluggish, if the "up to 7 times improvement in the GPU" would smooth out the UI I'd wait for the jailbreak and grab an ATV3.

What I find a bit concerning is the single core stuff. Not because of any potential hindrance to the XBMC experience but that initial the dual A5 was something that was like 75% more expensive to produce then the A4 at launch. In mass production now I would think the price of it and the other internals would have come down to the point we would get a dual A5 for $99. Almost seems a misprint.
damn it, this has made me angry! Been waiting patiently for the new ATV and and are we now thinking it won't actually be able to handle any better skins?
bit of a let down on the specs thought it would be a bit of a better leap over atv2, guess we have to wait and see if any real world performance boost over atv2 with XBMC.

if it results in snappier menu navigation and not as many crashes with certain skins i'll upgrade.
Single core A5 + 100mb ethernet = not a good enough reason to upgrade
It's not a question of raw processing power, it's a question if the graphics processing portion is hardware capable of full bandwidth 1080p. My old Sigma based Popcorn Hour can handle uncompressed Blu-Ray and so can my Samsung smart TV.

Hopefully the new AppleTV is based on the A5X processor, because that bad boy is designed to pump out 2048x1536 on 'the new' iPad. If that is the case then I'd be confident in saying that the new AppleTV shouldn't have a problem with full rate 1080p. In that case it's just a question of XBMC developers accessing the low-level functions of the video decoding chip.

I believe it should have the A5x chip, because the A5 as it was could just barely squeak out 1080p and I believe the old AppleTV was based on the A4 that is found in the original iPad and iPhone 4.
Until they have new tricks to do with it (besides 1080p, which is nice, but not all that revolutionary compared to the competition), what would it need a faster processor for? It would just make it cost more.
According to Engadget it will have the A5 processor Sad
Keep the fingers crossed about the Graphics chip...
Also, new iOS 5.0 firmware has just dropped for ATV2, wonder if this is matching the UI of the new ATV3 we have just seen?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
onizuka Wrote:Single core A5 + 100mb ethernet = not a good enough reason to upgrade

Why would you need Gigabit ethernet? It's just a streaming device and 100mb is enough. If the processor is fast enough to deliver solid XBMC performance, why would you need a faster processor?
mhh guess why apple doesn't want to push the performance that much with atv3? Because they don't need it for what it should do...

Lets wait for the jailbreak ... then maybe i'm willing to give it a shot...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:mhh guess why apple doesn't want to push the performance that much with atv3? Because they don't need it for what it should do...

Lets wait for the jailbreak ... then maybe i'm willing to give it a shot...

Also, would it be advised (when a JB is out) to refrain from going to real iOS 5.0, seeing how the update to 4.4.4 used more resources outside of XBMC?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
ilovemymac Wrote:Until they have new tricks to do with it (besides 1080p, which is nice, but not all that revolutionary compared to the competition), what would it need a faster processor for? It would just make it cost more.

Well, obviously we're all disappointed about the single-core processor because we want a $99 HTPC that can smoothly run Aeon Nox.

But I will say that the native UI on the ATV is oddly outdated, and would benefit from a few XBMC-style bells and whistles. Judging from liveblogged screenshots, the ATV3 interface isn't much of an upgrade, it's still very plain. And judging from XBMC's performance on an ATV2 compared to a Core i3 machine, the native ATV interface is plain because Apple has saddled it with a weak processor.

Apple probably would have benefited from using a dual-core A5 and juicing up the interface a bit more, and we would have benefited from having a perfect XBMC machine.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atv3?0