Zotac HTPC Advice
I have decided to build a new HTPC using a Zotac system. I do not currently have a 3d HDTV, but the possibility of upgrading my TV within the expected lifetime of this HTPC (3+ years) does exist.

This is strictly for a front-end device. My library is hosted on a separate server and will be shared via NFS/CIFS. This front-end device will run Ubuntu or another linux-based distro.

The two systems I am looking at are:
1: ZBOX-ID80-U (~$250)
Intel Atom D2700 2.13 GHz Dual-Core
Up to 4GB DDR3 1066 SO-DIMM
nvidia GT 520M

2: ZBOX-ID36BR3D-U (~$350)
Intel Atom D525 1.8 GHz Dual-Core
Up to 4GB DDR3 800 SO-DIMM
nvidia Next-Generation ION
BluRay Player

I would consider other options, but these two made it to my final selection.

The BluRay player is a nice to have, but not a hard requirement. My questions are basically:

Would option 2 be capable of running 1080p/3d in the future if I got the TV while running a linux-based XBMC frontend (ie Group 7 linux)?

Is the GT520M a significant enough upgrade over the ION2 to give up the BR player (and save $100)? I'm assuming that option 2 would also be a Group 7 linux server and have good driver supportability at the moment.

I'm not looking to spend much more than $350 for a bare system.
btw there's 3 more zbox that were just announced, including a bluray ad05 series.

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=co...68&lang=un
I saw the new boxes, but I have been staying away from the AMD-based boxes due to my linux preference.

I had stayed away from the Celeron and the Core i3 boxes due to my (possibly unfounded) belief that linux support would be better for nvidia chipsets than the Intel integrated HD graphics.
chuck_b Wrote:1: ZBOX-ID80-U (~$250)
Intel Atom D2700 2.13 GHz Dual-Core
Up to 4GB DDR3 1066 SO-DIMM
nvidia GT 520M
You'll be very happy with the first choice. It'll playback everything in your list!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Will the second choice also playback everything in my list?

A BluRay/DVD player at the TV would be nice to have for convenience instead of having to rip/upload to the server for everything.

TIA
chuck_b Wrote:Will the second choice also playback everything in my list?
I'm talking about everything "including bitstreaming dts-hd/truehd audio too".

chuck_b Wrote:A BluRay/DVD player at the TV would be nice to have for convenience instead of having to rip/upload to the server for everything.
TIA
You can easily add an USB blu-ray player and it is very cheap now- Blu-Ray USB External Player DVDRW
Would both options be able to handle 1080p/3d over HDMI while running XBMC/linux?
im not a linux guru but, i'd be confident with the ZBOX-ID80-U
eskro Wrote:im not a linux guru but, i'd be confident with the ZBOX-ID80-U
+1, 520M in it should be better than ION! Smile
chuck_b Wrote:Would both options be able to handle 1080p/3d over HDMI while running XBMC/linux?
It seems that you are more interesting with blu-ray drive in the more expensive ION package than the less expensive with better spec in the 520M package. After you added a USB blu-ray drive in the 520M package, it still cost less than the ION package. We can only point out the spec, but the choice is your to make! Smile
My goal is to have as simple a HTPC setup as possible. I like the simplicity of having a single device, that can handle streaming all of my current and future (3+ year) needs as well as any DVD's/BluRay physical discs that might show up at the house.

IF Option 2 (the integrated BluRay player with the ION2) is capable of 1080p/3d, that is my preference. I don't want to pick the ID80 just for the higher specs unless I need them. If the higher spec 520M is what I need, then I either need an external BluRay or to wait and hope for an integrated solution like the ID36BR3D based on the 520M.

I know that the price is slightly cheaper with the ID80 and an external drive, but it is not a big enough difference to make the decision. Getting something that will be capable, if not the highest current spec, is my primary concern.

I'm looking to solve the problem in a wife-friendly way with as few 'gadgets' in the living room.
If we were to compare the ZBOX-ID80-U against the atv 3 (I do realize we do have lil info on atv 3), what would you guys say are the pros and cons of each?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac HTPC Advice0