How to properly detect the underlying OS inside of XBMC python?
This should in principle be easy enough, but it's not working as expected for me.

Some background - I need to know which OS my addon is running on as it supplies and calls an external binary.

I need to distinguish OSX, Windows, and then Linux 32 and Linux 64.

I have tried both platform.platform() and platform.system() and they seem to work on Windows but raise an exception on OSX.

Has anyone got a good XBMC Ok way of doing this? I don't have a Mac very handy to try this out unfortunately.

ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!!

My code is currently:

Code:
LOCALSQUEEZESLAVEVERSION = 'squeezeslave-1.2-311'
BINWIN    = xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( BIN_PATH, LOCALSQUEEZESLAVEVERSION + "-win") + "//squeezeslave.exe")
BINOSX    = xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( BIN_PATH, LOCALSQUEEZESLAVEVERSION + "-osx") + "//squeezeslave")
BINLIN32  = xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( BIN_PATH, LOCALSQUEEZESLAVEVERSION + "-lnx26") + "//squeezeslave")
BINLIN64  = xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( BIN_PATH, LOCALSQUEEZESLAVEVERSION + "-lnx26") + "//squeezeslave-i64")

#need to work out what system we're on
SYSTEM=""

try:
  #will return Windows or Darwin
  SYSTEM = platform.platform()
except:
  #otherwise we assume some linux 2.6+ flavour...
  SYSTEM = "Linux"

#32 or 64 bit?
is_64bits = sys.maxsize > 2**32

#choose the right executable
if SYSTEM.startswith("Windows"):
  EXE = [BINWIN]
elif SYSTEM.startswith("Darwin"):
  EXE = [BINOSX]
else:
  if is_64bits:
    EXE = [BINLIN64]
  else:
    EXE = [BINLIN32]

#chmod +X the exe file...
if SYSTEM=="Darwin" or SYSTEM=="Linux":
  try:
    #attempt to make the binary executable - this never works really...
    #it's really about triggering the messages in the except clause below...
    os.system("chmod a+x " + EXE[0])
    xbmc.log(__addonname__ + "-" + __version__ +": ### chmod +x the Squeezeslave binaries - success")
  except:
    xbmc.log(__addonname__ + __version__ +": chmod +x the Squeezeslave binaries - failure -> You must do this manually!!")
    #Logger.notify("Failed to chmod +x the binaries" "Please do so manually - most likely a user permissions error", 10000)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Have you tried
Code:
sys.platform

you probably will need to use a combination of sys.platform and the platform module.
I am pretty sure I have actually. It's not having a Mac that makes this hard....but I think all the ones I have tried raise exceptions. Although maybe I have been confusing platform.platform and sys.platform....
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Most everything except for 32 bit vs 64 bit but you can narrow that down easily...

https://github.com/analogue/mythbox/blob...orm.py#L31
MythBox for XBMC - http://mythbox.googlecode.com
Or you can go with this code: https://github.com/dersphere/script.xbmc...gui.py#L68

No 32/64 bit detection in linux...
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Hey folks - thanks, those examples really helped and I think I've got it going on ok now. sys.platform is definitly the way to go, as platform.platform() raises exception (only on OSX)

Next issue is the subprocess call.... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123613
Looks like my subprocess call may have been a permissions error (despite the wierd error message)...the call to os.system(chmod) - does NOT raise an exception on the Mac but apparently also does not do what it should

grrr. I hate platform stuff, such a pain to work on and test!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to properly detect the underlying OS inside of XBMC python?0