unraid-esque setup for current desktop?
okay. i'm starting to wonder if i should be doing something to backup my 1tb of media, that i store on my bedroopm desktop that functions as an XBMC station as well. i like the idea of unraid, but.. i can't justify building a whole new machine, just to run unraid. i've seen some people say you can run unraid in VMware, but it's sketchy. so, here is my question. if i want an unraid type back up, what are my alternatives for a windows machine that's already running? i'm looking at backing up 2 1tb drives, so, with unraid, i'd just need the 3 1tb drives, with 1 for parity, which gives me 2tb total space. can i achieve this in windows as well?
I think FlexRAID and SnapRAID.

I'm a fan of FlexRAID, despite some setup nuances, it's been working perfect for my needs with minimal futzing since then. It'll soon set you back about $50, but the cost is worth it for me.
Not that I don't understand what you mean, but remember that raid setups are primarily redundancy and single device failure "insurance".

If some of the stuff on the two current drives are things that you really do not want to loose, then a raid solution is not enough to replace a proper backup and you should put those files somewhere "outside" of the computer (external HDD, other computer etc).
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Orclas Wrote:Not that I don't understand what you mean, but remember that raid setups are primarily redundancy and single device failure "insurance".

If some of the stuff on the two current drives are things that you really do not want to loose, then a raid solution is not enough to replace a proper backup and you should put those files somewhere "outside" of the computer (external HDD, other computer etc).

I do understand, this entire subject isn't foreign to me. this is just for the movies and tv shows I have collected together, I don't want tovhave to mirror 2tb of movies on to 2tb more of media, though. that's why unraid was appealing, I only needed 1 drive as large as the largest in the assembly, to have some backup. all my personal data will be kept quite safe, no worries. :-)

now, on to looking up this flexraid solution! ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unraid-esque setup for current desktop?0