Picture in Picture
There are plenty scenarios where XBMC could benefit from more than one open player, not only speaking about video. Things like hearing music during a commercial brake or listening to music and have another video running just for the purpose of the pictures.

As hardware is getting stronger and stronger I think the CPU could handle decoding the smaller of the two video feeds in software. (Though I actually don't know if a smaller display size of the video reduces the stress on the hardware?!)
+1

Definitly "PIP" functionality will be great ! Big Grin
great idea

monitoring the baby cam
There are so many possibilites. Thats why Secondary screen is a better name.
I personally refrain from calling everything an "App" nowadays, there are already several Requests about this on the forum. The essence for every one of these is that XBMC core has to allow multiple players to be open, that would be the correct term imho
You right about the app. But not just players can be used in the secondary screen... On a good day, perhaps even a browser or a notification screen..
I don't know what the correct status for this is, but I could imagine that running an addon (that does not play any type of media) in a small overlay is just a question of skinning? But I am no expert :-P
For babycams you can try "doorbell" addon

http://homeawesomation.wordpress.com/201...mc-update/

MCh
(2013-07-20, 08:54)chacon Wrote: For babycams you can try "doorbell" addon

http://homeawesomation.wordpress.com/201...mc-update/

MCh

Very awesome.
Kind of surprising there is not such a feature these days. Since you can "blank all other displays" I would think an additional display could be rendered. Perhaps it's time for an "upgrade" to Kodis core with an engine adoption. The Unity engine is finding it's self rapidly becoming the adopted standard, as well it would provide the roadmap for VR implementations of Kodi. In the Unity engine Picture in Picture easily done utilizing textures and creating a smaller 408x256 canvas.

// this line of code will make the Movie Texture begin playing
((MovieTexture)GetComponent<Renderer>().material.mainTexture).Play();

// this line will toggle Movie playback when the space bar is pressed:
public class PlayMovieOnSpace : MonoBehaviour {
void Update () {
if (Input.GetButtonDown ("Jump")) {

Renderer r = GetComponent<Renderer>();
MovieTexture movie = (MovieTexture)r.material.mainTexture;

if (movie.isPlaying) {
movie.Pause();
}
else {
movie.Play();
}
}
}
}

Source: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/30_searc...in+picture
Feel free to send a pull request to https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The problem is not the rendering as you already figured. Everything else in the player is (stream handling, decoding - stuff like that).

Also @Martijn - i don't want a PR with this. Telling a texture to "Play" tells me a lot of OOP knowledge is missing here - the PR would be very frustrating for all involved...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
as mentioned, the issue is really not the rendering. We could easily add 10 video overlays in the GUI. The real issue is the entanglement of our internal player component with everything else, which prevents it to be instantiated multiple times. And without our internal player component there won't be any HW accelerated playback, so PIP with two 1080p streams would become nearly impossible on low powered platforms. Our videoplayer is currently being refactored, along with the components interacting with it, so that PIP will be a feature in the not so distant future (I hope)
Would be awesome if you could have two addons running. ie: watching a movie (movie / tv addon) and checking in on the game (live sports addon). Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture in Picture0