USB Transfer of media to Ipad without iTunes?
Does someone have a way to transfer vids to an ipad using usb without itunes being installed on the PC? I know you can transfer over wireless using various apps but I was looking for something faster.

pwnTunes does something dodgy to the picture transfer interface that allows you to write files onto the device. This is great but it does not work properly with the ipad for music.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...USB_access

Same option exists for iDevices. Just use Cydia to find "afc2add".
Thanks for that Ned but I was hoping for something that did not need anything installed on the pc side. Looks like I might need to go back to pwntunes. It does not work for the original intent of putting music onto the iPad but it does work well for videos and Xbmc.
I use iTunes to transfer files to my VLC app folder, then I added that folder as a source in XBMC. Works great. If you don't have VLC, you could use any other app that lets you side-load video files through iTunes. Just use iFile to find out what directory the app uses to store the iTunes loaded files.
(2012-03-10, 20:18)TheAstronaut Wrote: I use iTunes to transfer files to my VLC app folder, then I added that folder as a source in XBMC. Works great. If you don't have VLC, you could use any other app that lets you side-load video files through iTunes. Just use iFile to find out what directory the app uses to store the iTunes loaded files.

You can also use AppLinks (from Cydia) to make symbolic links for every app, so you don't have to hunt for the right one using iFile or guessing.
(2012-03-12, 08:44)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-03-10, 20:18)TheAstronaut Wrote: I use iTunes to transfer files to my VLC app folder, then I added that folder as a source in XBMC. Works great. If you don't have VLC, you could use any other app that lets you side-load video files through iTunes. Just use iFile to find out what directory the app uses to store the iTunes loaded files.

You can also use AppLinks (from Cydia) to make symbolic links for every app, so you don't have to hunt for the right one using iFile or guessing.

I have not heard of AppLinks, but I will definitely check it out. There is also an option somewhere in iFile that will translate the crazy-long app identifier strings into actual app names. Can you run the symlink the other way so that files side-loaded with iTunes are actually being copied into the XBMC app folder?

Probably. I'll have to try that out, as that's a pretty good idea :D
You can, for instance, I download stuff with Dolphin HD, symlink the download folder of dolphin hd to /var/mobile/Media/Downloads, which is included in my XBMC video path. XBMC then has access to the download folder of dolphin hd. If not, you have to set ther right permissions.
I use the camera kit with ifile mostly to a dedicated folder for XBMC when away from the NAS.

Other IPad controlled option is filebrowser on the app store which can connect to your NAS etc and allows you to copy over to the Ipad

With tha camera kit and ifile you can copy from Amy USB pen drive or sd card or hard drive if it's formatted in fat32
2 caveats windows only allows you to format drive to a max of 32gb in fat32 this is a Microsoft enforced limit just use a 3rd party tool, stagnate disk tools work well
Also any USB had needs to be externally powered b=as the iPad doest have enough juice
Though I'm pretty sure you can get battery powered drives now

This is con firmed using he official kit
How do you get access to camera kit with xbmc? I cant access var/mnt (should be my mounted device). I can see it in ifiles though?
Is it possible to open up access for xbmc to filelist whole iPad so access to all maps?

edit: nevermind. Cant read.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB Transfer of media to Ipad without iTunes?1