Music in XBMC
I'm have been reading through the XBMC wiki on what to name music files and what kind of tags to give them, but i still cannot get my music to be recognized in library mode. I currently have albums, movies and game soundtracks all organized according to the following: For albums, it goes albums/artist/album name, for movie/game soundtracks, it's game/movie name/which disc it's on/then the files. I use a Mac for backup, and XBMC is on Windows on another machine, so i use MediaRage to keep track and add tags to everything on the Mac. So why can't i view my music in the library mode?
Tags are all that matter. If you see the tag information (rather than filename) as you browse your music from Music->Files, then all you need do is scan them into the library (context menu).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Now these tags are normally embedded into the MP3 right, or are they an individual file for each? I have a lot of music, and nothing is showing up in the library.
Yes, they're embedded in the mp3. As I say, if you see the tags when you browse your music from XBMC in file mode, then everything you need is already available (you can song information from the context menu to check further tags as well).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Oh there we go, now it's working. For some reason, I thought it scanned the songs in, but it turned out it hadn't, so now it is. thanks
This wasn't intuitive for me at first, but once the songs are scanned to your library (and you are browsing in Library mode), from the main XBMC menu, highlight "music" then arrow down to artists. When the list of artists appears, highlight any artist and press "c" to bring up the context menu. Select "query info for all artists" and it will pull down artist details for everything in your library (this will take awhile). Then, I repeated the same process for "albums" ... select music > albums > press "c" > "query info for all albums". I don't know if both steps are absolutely necessary, but since I am anal-retentive, I selected both Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music in XBMC0