i3 2120T very high idle temps
I'm getting 50-60C at idle with the 2120T in my M350

Only using the stock HSF, and no case fans. Is this normal because I don't have any case fans or is something very wrong with my CPU/cooler? The fans only run at around 1200-1400 RPM with this temp. Motherboard is intel DH61AG, its running at 40% minimum cycle speed. What should I do?
Sorry for early bump, but I need to know in case it has to be returned.

Otherwise I will be buying a fan for it today. Is this normal for this CPU, is it the Intel motherboard that isn't running the fans at a high enough RPM?
No, those are not normal temps, are you certain the fan is actually running? Those are the sort of temps I experienced when for some reason the fan on my 2100T stopped running. Normal idle in my experience is 27-33c depending on the room temp, but that is with a front case fan pushing air over it and hot air being pushed out the back by a PSU fan.

I don't know how big the case for your PC is, but it might be because without any case fans there's simply not enough airflow to remove the heat from the CPU. With the dinky heatsink that comes on the stock fan anyway.
No case fans, and no PSU fan since its external PSU.

Here's the case http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-m...-enclosure

I'm thinking of installing a front-fan and a top fan.

How many RPM is your fan at?
Is the case out in the open or in an enclosure?
did you apply thermal compound yourself?
did you do it properly?
aptalca Wrote:did you apply thermal compound yourself?
did you do it properly?

Agreed....I would try re-seating the cpu and heatsink again with thermal compound.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
- It's stock Intel with thermal compound pre-applied.
- It's completely enclosed, lots of tiny holes in the M350
- I added a fan and I've adjusted the RPM to ca 2000 on it and the CPU-fan is running at around 1000 => 47-48 C in idle. still running very quiet.
- I have considered removing the thermal compound (is it ok to use q-tips dabbed in white spirit?) and apply some Arctic Silver, may very well be the thermal compound.

Lastly - 47-48C in idle.... very bad?
I meant is it like in a cupboard. I would recommend using rubbing alcohol or acetone when you remove the old thermal compound. It could be that you applied way too much or way too little, or the HSF just isn't seated correctly.
Yea, gonna go ahead and do that.
nooryani84 Wrote:- I have considered removing the thermal compound (is it ok to use q-tips dabbed in white spirit?) and apply some Arctic Silver, may very well be the thermal compound.
some tips how to apply thermal compound
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cool...058-9.html
I just used white spirit and q-tips, have done it without any problems in the past. It's almost pure alchohol.

Btw, found this lying in a box SILVERSTONE NT07-775

Reading up if it will work with an I3, it looks like it might.
Along with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835100007
Ok, so it's about 52C in BIOS and 42C in XBMC... I've read that the CPU temps are often higher in the BIOS.

There's a 200 hr break-in period, so I'll see what it's like. Went with the stock intel cooler, doubt that silverstone would work well with this CPU.
Download HWMonitor and post your temps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3 2120T very high idle temps0