i3 2120T very high idle temps
Using linux. 42 with both case fans and 48 with just cpu cooler
nooryani84 Wrote:Using linux. 42 with both case fans and 48 with just cpu cooler

I think thats a pretty safe range for idle.....Next you will want to playback some HD content and monitor temps. As long as it stays under 70 you should be fine.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
So it seems like it goes up to about 49-52 during HD playback.
Idle temps don't matter at all. (unless of course they are way out of range) And if your reading it from the bios they sometimes can read high. Its load temps that are important. you can run a program called Prime95 to load your CPU and then watch your temps. Of corse you will need to install a program to see the temps like hardware monitor or Speedfan
I put together a bunch of Socket 1155 machines over the holidays, one of them ran much hotter (by 20C) than the others. I pulled the HSF and discovered that it wasn't seated right. Reseating it properly got the temps back in line with the other machines.
(2012-03-12, 09:53)Jetster Wrote: Idle temps don't matter at all. (unless of course they are way out of range) And if your reading it from the bios they sometimes can read high. Its load temps that are important. you can run a program called Prime95 to load your CPU and then watch your temps. Of corse you will need to install a program to see the temps like hardware monitor or Speedfan

40C idle is too hot for a stock cooler especially for an i3-2120T. Unless his room is like 30C there is definitely something wrong.
I have a Core i3 2125 in a Wesena itx7-2 case. With the stock cooler and using the thermal paste already on the cooler i get about 44C idle and under HD load it hits up to 55C.

the case is tiny and there is a case fan blowing IN cold air and a passive cooled HD6450 graphics card as well. I'm assuming that my idle temp are okay due to lack of airflow since the space inside the case is very cramped with all the components in there.

I get 42C under idle and maybe 56 max when watching 1080p. I believe it's just a design constraint, I've even removed the stock thermal grease and added Arctic Silver 5 compound, so still a quite a bit left of the break-in period.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3 2120T very high idle temps0