Apparently I know nothing about sources vs library
Ok, due to windows 7 sharing problems (honestly, if windows didn't exist, the tech world would be a much friendlier place) I moved my shared_video folder to a windows 7 public video folder. no problem.

I thought protocol was to go in XBMC VIDEOS>FILES and edit my video sources which USED to be C:\shared_video but are now in a different location. So I did just that and, I ended up with many duplicates in my tv shows and movies menus. actually, almost everything was duplicated.

Anyhow, tonight, I decided "HEY, I'm going to just delete ALL of the sources and clean the library and see what happens" so, I did just that, and, you know what? ALL of my tv shows and movies are still there. yep..... so, please someone explain to me how this works because apparently I don't know. I THOUGHT XBMC read from anything listed as a 'source', BUT, when I take the sources away and yet the library still reads my files, and still shows accurate watched/unwatched info.... I'm stumped.

What has happened? why do I not need any sources listed? What happenes when sickbeard downloads new stuff and places it in my videos folder, will it show up?

I'm stumped. I thought if I deleted all the sources, then XBMC would have no video to choose from.

:confused2:

thanks by the way. sorry if it seems I have an attitude, I'm just feeling like I suddenly know nothing about something I thought I had a grasp on lol.
The sources tell the scrapers where to find media to add to the library. The path for the source is stored in the library db. Changing jthe source will not affect anything already in the library but when you scan again it will find the same stuff in a different location.

You can do a clean on the database and it should remove the stuff it can't find any more. Alternatively you can delete your database and start afresh.

It is always safer to nuke the database and scrape again.
Remove your databases and reboot: (via SSH)
rm -f /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Database/*db
It's better to change the sources rather than delete them and add new ones. XBMC will remember your source that you used to originally populate the library, and when you change the source, XBMC will ask if you want to update the library with that data.
Thanks for the specific instructions. I deleted the database and started fresh. Its working wonderfully now.

On a side note about changing sources...

If ever in the future there comes a time where I need to relocate my media folders, what is the proper method of doing so? step by step?

before this issue, I moved the folders, then I changed the sources and pointed them to the new location, but, after doing so, it rescanned and I ended up with duplicates. Then I deleted and readded them, then I was totally messed up, hence my frustrated post last night which, I do apologize for. never post when you're angry!Shocked

Thanks for rescue rope!
As Ned said, normally when you modify a source path it will ask if you want to modify the library to suit. Do this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apparently I know nothing about sources vs library0