Random daily crashes
Hi

Using RC2 on W2008 R2 on a Zotac H55-ITX motherboard with I5 CPU and 8 GB RAM. I'm using Aeon Nox as skin with a lot of addons installed.

I seem to be having daily crashes / program not answering and have some problems pinpointing exactly why this happens. The logfile does not seem overtly helpful.

I do have a crashdump, and was hoping that someone with a better grasp of things might be willing to have a look at it? (rlyeh.dk/xbmc_crashlog-20120309-175318.dmp)

Thanks in advance.

FFY
You have a windows problem, not an XBMC problem.

I suggest you research the STOP error windows is giving you. This is not a Windows help forum, it is not likely you will get much help fixing OS problems. A little maybe but not reading a DMP file.

If you want to fix your install...
Find a Windows help forum (e.g. not an XBMC forum)
OR wipe and reinstall Windows (this is probably the fastest fix)
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Windows does not give me a STOP error and Windows is not crashing.

The attached crashdump was generated by XBMC, not Windows. My Windows uptime is usually measured in weeks or months, so - not really helping. Thanks for the effort though.

FFY
I did not know XBMC could create a crashdump in windows. If you want help with it you should open a TRAC ticket.

Though, the "easiest" fix might just be to install the OS fresh as these issues are almost always OS related.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I guess I must have the same magical OS issues. Or XBMC for Windows has decreased in stability noticably in the last few months. I'm going with the latter.

Probably not going to reinstall Windows when an application in active development becomes less stable.
I second that emotion.

My XBMC machine is running 24/7 as a combined fileserver, webserver, FTP-server, mailserver, utorrent-server and a what ever other jobs I need running. Besides this it runs XBMC. When XBMC is running I have no problems at all - but as mentioned earlier, I'm experiencing crashes daily one or more times. Debug-log seems to be no help - no real errors in there.

I'm not really willing to reinstall and otherwise completely stable and well running machine because one of the programs is unstable.

I would really like to find the root cause.

FFY
If it's a crash as in a GPF/fatal error/whatever they're called these days then it's probably being caused by the same thing. For example, in the past we've had bugs in the RAR library and we'd get crashes when XBMC attempted to unrar a file. This could apparently happen randomly if for example XBMC was doing a library update or extracting thumbnails. I use RC2 on a daily basis and haven't had any crashes, but I can test only a small fraction of XBMC's parameter space.

The debug log is where I'd start. Any one log may not show the cause of the crash, but several logs taken together may help identify a pattern. You can enable debug logging without the annoying on screen text by using an advancedsettings.xml containing:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

JR
Hi jhsrennie - thanks for your input.

I have debug-log enabled (for an example look here: http://pastebin.com/uNHSFLWp) but it isn't really helping me get any clever. Maybe you can spot anything fishy?

Crashdump related to the logfile is here (http://rlyeh.dk/xbmc_crashlog-20120310-150702).

FFY
It looks as if it crashed writing to the database. Check the next few post crash logs and see if this is a common thread. It could be a corrupt database, in which case exporting, deleting the database files and importing should fix it.

JR
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried preemptively deleting all databases and am now importing all my media again. I hope this helps with the crashes. Will update the thread if anything happens.

FFY
Just an update. XBMC hasn't crashed on it's own since rebuilding the databases - so that seems like a success (though I'm still afraid to jinx it).

I have had a few crashes related to addons, but that's not really the direct fault of XBMC, and therefore out of subject for this thread.

FFY
Just an update after two months of usage. Deleting the databases and rebuilding them from scratch completely solved the problem. Now XBMC no longer crashes by itself.

FFY

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random daily crashes0