• 47(current)
[WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2
jdembski, first of all thanks for the great work on this, I've been able to compile the pvr addon and succesfully connected my raspberry running raspbmc to my dm500hd (this considering that the tuxbox plugin causes for me a xbmc restart whenever I select a bouquet)

my question to you or other fellow colleagues here is what performance are you able to get with streaming the channels on the RPi? I ask this because what I see is that when I stream SD channles (I have the mpeg2 license set up, btw), the processor starts lower than 50% but gradually increases after a few mins of watching the channels to over 80-90%, with peaks of 99%. even when I stop the stream, it takes sometimes half a minute for the occupancy to return to 15-20% when idle. nevertheless, this doesn't cause issues on the SD channels, I am able to view them without interruptions (although I had a random reset once while watching for 15 mins a channels, don't exactly what caused it - maybe CPU overheating due to the high temp)

furthermore, I thought that HD channels should work smoothly, but I've never been able to stream anything - I see big macroblocks, indistinguishable stuff mostly. does it work for you better?

for the record, I only tested raspbmc (latest revision) over wifi (the wifi speed should be sufficient as I am able to watch smoothly HD channels on my laptop using VLC, nevertheless I will test again using a wired connection to my router just to get the transfer rate out of the problem). have you had better results using other RasPi images, openelec or xbian maybe?

thanks in advance!
(2012-10-25, 10:35)cocomic Wrote: my question to you or other fellow colleagues here is what performance are you able to get with streaming the channels on the RPi? I ask this because what I see is that when I stream SD channles (I have the mpeg2 license set up, btw), the processor starts lower than 50% but gradually increases after a few mins of watching the channels to over 80-90%, with peaks of 99%. even when I stop the stream, it takes sometimes half a minute for the occupancy to return to 15-20% when idle. nevertheless, this doesn't cause issues on the SD channels,

I never looked at the CPU when (briefly) testing it with the RPi - so I cannot comment on that.

(2012-10-25, 10:35)cocomic Wrote: I am able to view them without interruptions (although I had a random reset once while watching for 15 mins a channels, don't exactly what caused it - maybe CPU overheating due to the high temp)

If I understood it correctly then there is a bug in upstream ffmpeg that will cause the TS stream to be interrupted if a certain counter in the TS streams hits its max value and wraps around. Apparently this happens once every 36 hours per channel, so this might be the cause for your reset. If I see it correctly then there is already a PR around which may fix this.

(2012-10-25, 10:35)cocomic Wrote: furthermore, I thought that HD channels should work smoothly, but I've never been able to stream anything - I see big macroblocks, indistinguishable stuff mostly. does it work for you better?

As far as I know there was a bug in the OMXPlayer that has been fixed in XBMC a couple of days ago. Maybe this is causing your problem?

(2012-10-25, 10:35)cocomic Wrote: for the record, I only tested raspbmc (latest revision) over wifi (the wifi speed should be sufficient as I am able to watch smoothly HD channels on my laptop using VLC, nevertheless I will test again using a wired connection to my router just to get the transfer rate out of the problem). have you had better results using other RasPi images, openelec or xbian maybe?

I think you should give OpenELEC a try - use one of the latest developments builds an report back Smile Also with the RPi you should really try to use the wired connection - I'm not sure how fast a wireless connection on that small box really is. With my (not really up-to-date) laptop I can usually receive HD channels via WLAN, but even there I get the ocassional stuttering. I doubt that the RPi would perform better...

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...53.tar.bz2

VU+ / Enigma2 PVR Client: Documentation | Development | Discussion
hi guys,

ive been trying to stream from my dreambox (Xtrend 9200) for a few weeks now.

i can do it via the OPEN WEBIF - but only per channel as each channel has its own URL. (serviceref)

i have then tested intercepting the stream with VLC and transcoding it down to a much lower bitrate to play over 3g, which works (port forwarding) - but im limited to this channel only, i cannot change the channel.

sooooo....i then turned to XBMC - and i installed the VU+ DUO addon, this works, but when i use it, i can only control one channel, wehn i change the channel via XBMC it doesnt change, if the Xtrend isn't on that channel ! if i then change the channel on the Xtrend - i can then watch that channel via XMBC.

i even changed the XBMC config to be single tuner box - so it would ZAP and Stream.

so - surely this isnt right.

if i ever get this working - is their a faciltiy to downgrade bitrate for video of low bandwidth (such as 3g) without the need for VLC.

it would be ideal if you could just type http:\\xtrendipaddres:565656 and then it always streamed the live channel! but sadly it doesnt appear u can do this.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

thank you jdembski for the prompt answer, I'll definitely give openelec a try and report back.

@manikm - this is my goal as well on the longer term, at the moment apparently omxplayer is not that well optimized to do everything in hardware, and the CPU by itself is not powerful enough to handle everything on its own.

furthermore, apparently there is a limitation (at least at the moment) that you can only use HW acceleration on either encode or decode, not both at the same time (which would be needed, since you would want to decode first the incoming stream (mpeg2 or h264) from the receiver and transcode it in parallel to a lower bitrate.

I guess it might be possible with a well built algorithm to optimize VLC to use the capabilities of the GPU to the max, but afaik it's still just a thought.

regarding your other issue, the setting to zap first & stream should do just that. as an idea, maybe you should try and capture from your receiver's webinterface somehow what is the http string needed to be sent for the channel change to happen, and check this addon's source code to make sure that it matches your requirements exactly. by the way, how is the quality for the HD channels that you stream to your RasPi? which image are you using on your raspi? are you using openpli on your rec?
thanks for your input, but first things first, whats a RASPI? as i cannot answer your question on it.

im using the latest (v3) OPEN VIX IMAGE on my Xtrend 9200 found here, mine is a few days old now.
_http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=ET-9x00/

the VLC method works great, if only there was a way to stream the live channel like you could in the old Enigma1 days. Where you could type http://dreamboxE1:specialportnumber or http://dreamboxE1_IP/video.m3u

im using the VU+ DUO addon, whats the difference between this and the OPENELEC addon?

im gonna give this a go after work

_http://bsauto.free.fr/enigmawebtv/ looks to do exactly what i need, and turned to XBMC for.

I thought you were trying to use a Raspberry PI for all that, so nevermind, we have different needs. Since you probably use Windows, you could solve it simpler, by looking into the command-line options for VLC - actually being able to start VLC with streaming and transcoding on a specific channel.

You could create a simple script (or put it in a software of your choice), in which as a first step you zap to a channel and then launch VLC to stream and transcode it automatically:

something like:
Code:
c:\progra~1\videolan\vlc\vlc.exe -vvv http://IP_OF_DREAMBOX:8001/1:0:1:2DC7:1A2C:FBFF:820000:0:0:0: --sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=450,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=32,channels=1,samplerate=11025,deinterlace}:http{mux=ts,dst=:8080/} :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :ttl=3 :sout-keep

i.e., the above starts vlc and transcodes it to a bitrate usable on 3G.

But we are a bit off-topic, the thing is to do all this using xbmc somehow...
agreed BUT thanks very much!
Hi people,

Maybe there is someone who can help me. I recently tried this app and it's really quick and easy to useSmile
I Have tried Linux/windows Eden and Frodo masters. Connected with dreambox 800HD and 8000.
Sometimes the stream won't pick up. Zapping to another channel and back to the one you tried first helps sometimes. This comes with all versions from 0.2.8 / 0.3.4

Everything is on cable gigabit network and when i connect from the plugin to a dreambox on the same switch the problem is the same. I'm convinsed it's not a network related issue, but what else?

(2012-10-25, 23:15)promiel Wrote: Hi people,

Maybe there is someone who can help me. I recently tried this app and it's really quick and easy to useSmile
I Have tried Linux/windows Eden and Frodo masters. Connected with dreambox 800HD and 8000.
Sometimes the stream won't pick up. Zapping to another channel and back to the one you tried first helps sometimes. This comes with all versions from 0.2.8 / 0.3.4

Everything is on cable gigabit network and when i connect from the plugin to a dreambox on the same switch the problem is the same. I'm convinsed it's not a network related issue, but what else?

What image is installed on your boxes?I've had simliar problems, now I've installed OpenPli 3.0 on my 8000HD and streaming is running rock solid ( even HD over a ASUS Wlan Media Bridge)
I'm running on openpli 2.1 beta. Going to try 3.0 On my 8000 because 800 doesn't run 3.0 Thx for the tip! Going to try and report back
anyone can confirm if HD is working on RPI ? I've an ATV2 and HD won't play at all (ATV reboots). SD content works just fine. I've an Xtrend ET9200 w/ an image based on OpenPli 2.1.

latest nightly installed on my macbook pro works just fine in HD and SD.

I'm planning to buy some RPi's for this purpose (even thinking to place my et9200 on my network rack to uniform the GUI on all tv's)

Cheers....
I'm running a gbox midnight, everything runs ace on xmbc, all hd and sd. Running android version. My sat receiver is a vu+ ultimo but I never used the vu plugin. Instead I use server tuner plugin and mediatomb plugin. I believe different images may have these plugins. I use blackhole 1.78 which have these installed by default you just have to activate them and xmbc sees the bouquets. Just added on xmbc using tux box and the ip of my receiver.
I would prefer to avoid tux box.... need also the ability to manage recordings and use EPG

anyone can stream HD channels on RPi or ATV2 using VUPLUS / ENIGMA2 pluginHuh
(2012-10-25, 23:41)sfuchs Wrote:
(2012-10-25, 23:15)promiel Wrote: Hi people,

What image is installed on your boxes?I've had simliar problems, now I've installed OpenPli 3.0 on my 8000HD and streaming is running rock solid ( even HD over a ASUS Wlan Media Bridge)

Seems that dm800 and dm800se single tuners have zap/streambuild trouble. 0.3.4 works great with dm8000 on openpli 2.1 and propably multituner vu+
A while ago tested 0.2.8 with 8000 with several problems but since 0.3.x it works great! Frodo rocks with live 1080i tv!!!
Thx for the advice!
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox217