IDE Setup
Hi guys
I have an idea of some modifications to XBMC.. I am a Linux Java dev, but I think I can handle some C++.
My question is .. is there in the git tree some project setup for some IDE under linux... you know... to point the IDE to that file and get the entire project loaded in it? If not.. which one you use and how to set-up the project?

Thanks in advance
Niki
Most devs on Linux use vim or similar I believe. I believe some have used kdevelop (there used to be an out of date project file) - pretty sure you can just give it the main makefile and away it goes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I use kdevelop, but it does not support environmental variables to define. For xbmc to view source properly some variables HAS to be defined. Like
HAVE_CONFIG_H
TARGET_LINUX
_LINUX

and some other. So I modified the system.h accordingly. This way I get a nice almost perfect code review.

C++ version of ECLIPSE works also pretty good for me. Easy way of defining variables and debug works with multi threads. I can also really recommend it.

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers, Attila
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2012-03-12, 23:38)alanwww1 Wrote: I use kdevelop, but it does not support environmental variables to define. For xbmc to view source properly some variables HAS to be defined. Like
HAVE_CONFIG_H
TARGET_LINUX
_LINUX

and some other. So I modified the system.h accordingly. This way I get a nice almost perfect code review.

C++ version of ECLIPSE works also pretty good for me. Easy way of defining variables and debug works with multi threads. I can also really recommend it.

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers, Attila

I want to build xbmc with Eclipse CDT, but don't know how to start.

I am using gentoo linux x64, which could build xbmc in command line.

I've installed Eclipse C++ IDE Indigo Service Release 2, then checkout xbmc source code from github, import it as a generic project, then convert to a C++ project.

The project has some errors, and I don't know what to do next.

Could you give me some suggestions?

Thank you very much.
the time you spend installing eclipse, and then getting the hog to start, you'd have been able to read through the entire code base at least twice Wink
(2012-04-20, 18:06)spiff Wrote: the time you spend installing eclipse, and then getting the hog to start, you'd have been able to read through the entire code base at least twice Wink

I could program java, but not much c++, and reading c++ code in vim is hard for me now.

In fact, installing Eclipse CDT is easy, just download linux x64 binary from eclipse site then unpack. Of course jdk/jre x64 is needed.
I tried to use eclipse CDT once for XBMC on linux but then it always froze on me when I opened a large file (like Application.cpp and VideoDatabase.cpp) and if it didn't freeze it popped a message that it had to disable all the fancy stuff like "Go to definition" etc which would be the advantage of an IDE over a simple text editor. So I gave up on it again Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
ctags and poof goes that advantage Wink

random google hti; http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/04/ctag...e-browser/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IDE Setup0