Lirc not working with apple remote in Ubuntu
I can't seem to get the apple A1156 remote to work at all.

I'm running Ubuntu.

I did
Code:
apt-get install lirc

but "irw" doesn't recognized any key presses.

because you need right lircd.conf and IR receiver to know apple remote frequency.
dpkg-reconfigure lirc
Well, one problem was in Ubuntu Xorg was taking my IR commands and doing nothing with them... I had to edit the xorg.conf file to tell it to ignore the IR receiver.

Another problem was I had to install ir-keytable and change the protocol to NEC.

now it is working on my laptop... but when I connect this same USB IR receiver and remote to a desktop running the same OS, it doesn't work... just like on the laptop, it recognizes key presses with "irrecord" or with "ir-keytable -t" but it doesn't recognize anything with "irw" and until it does that it won't work in XBMC. I have no idea why it's not working... I copied all the config files I can think of from the laptop to this desktop... but can't get it to work there... must be missing something... i spent maybe hundreds of hours on it before I got it working on the laptop, so there must have been something I did that I've not done yet on the desktop. Wish someone would post some easy to follow instructions that actually work, on how to do this.

The part I was missing that nobody ever talks about, but is absolutely necessary, is editing the keymap.

I edit /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce file, and put in the codes I discovered from ir-keytable -t then run the -w option to import them.
Code:
/usr/bin/ir-keytable -p NEC,RC6 -w /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
did you managed it? does the Apple Remote works on the desktop?
I never did get "irw" working, but had the Apple remote working in XBMC in Ubuntu using ir-keytable.

But then I needed to re-format to use Fedora, and I can't get it to work again.

Actually, when I use "ir-keytable -t" there is no problem. It recognizes my button presses and has them mapped to the proper keys.

The problem is that XBMC doesn't do anything when I press buttons... so the OS sees my button press, but XBMC does not.
have a look here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104541
(2012-03-19, 04:35)Kissell Wrote: The part I was missing that nobody ever talks about, but is absolutely necessary, is editing the keymap.

I edit /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce file, and put in the codes I discovered from ir-keytable -t then run the -w option to import them.
Code:
/usr/bin/ir-keytable -p NEC,RC6 -w /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce

Any chance you could detail roughly what you did to get this going? I have a hacked-together external Apple IR receiver and remote, which both work well for me in OSX on mac hardware. On a different generic hardware Ubuntu box, I plug in the receiver and it is recognized in dmesg. I'm trying to get ir-keytable / LIRC to play nice with it, but am unsure where to begin. Any chance you remember what you'd done?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lirc not working with apple remote in Ubuntu0