Settings in XBMC after having used MediaCompanion?
Hi everyone,

about a week ago I got a glance at XBMC and since then I'm addicted to itAngel
I had lots of fun organizing all my media (only Movies and TV Shows)

I used the newest Version of MediaCompanion to get all to information, as scraping it directly in XBMC came out pretty messy.

So, now I ended up with all my Movies and Shows being stored on my NAS. The Movie are all in their own subfolders, as are the TV Shows (seperate folders for the Seasons, too). The all have the .actors folder, *.nfo, *.tbn and fanart files in it.
There are 3 Win7 PC's connected to the NAS.

Now, my question is: I did a fresh install of XBMC on each of the PC's. But now when it comes to adding sources I'm have some troubles selecting the right options.
Which ones do I have to choose, to have as less files as possible stored locally on the PC's?

Clearly I have to choose "This dir. contains Movies", but what about the rest? I tried it with several options but it always seems to download all the info again from imdb and storing it localy rather then on the NAS.

Can someone please tell me how to proceed?

I'm pretty sure this is a thumb question, but after only one week of XBMC it seems justifiedWink

Best,
Toby
It's probably best to get it the way you want on one client. Once that is done you can export - this will create all the nfo files. Then copy your sources.xml to each client. They will then know exactly where everything is and they'll use the exported nfos to load their local database.

When running multiple clients you should check out this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80829
Ok thanks for the quick answer!

I already created the mySQL db. Works great, except for the thumbnails...how can I load them? A simple refresh over the context menu doesn't seem do the job!

Best,
Toby
Check out pathsubstitution in the latest Eden releases for a chared image cache.
IIRC, setting up a common folder for thumbnails is discussed somewhere in that thread I linked.
Hey everyone,
Thank for your helpful answers.

So, pathsubstitution didn't really work well. But as all of the PC's are Win7 I created symlinks for the thumbnail folder and for the sources.xml files. This worked like a charm on the first PC but on the second one it always ends in some errormessage as soon as I click on the shortcut.

But I keep on tryingSmile

Best,
Toby
you don't want to create symlinks for sources.xml. You can just copy the sources.xml file from one PC to the next - assuming that they are all accessing the same location (such as \\Server\Movies\)

You need to symlink the thumbnails directory on each PC or use path substitution. Your thumbnails directory is at %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails. You wan to copy this directory to a central location so all PCs can access it (e.g. \\server\Thumbnails\) and then set the symlinks on each PC to point to that location.

If you set up path substitution in advancedsettings.xml you can just copy the advancedssettings.xml file to all the other PCs and not have to worry about setting up symlinks on each PC.

If it continues to crash turn on debug logging using advancedsettings.xml (check the wiki) and them put the resultant log on pastebin.com
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Hey, I did it! The whole media database, mySQL db and Thumbnails are stored on my NAS. The three PCs are using symlinks for the thumbs and mySQL settings in advandcedsettings. Btw: the problem woth the symlink was that I tried to create them with the IP of the NAS and not its network name.

It works so great and I'm really happy with the setup. Even though the thumbs are on the NAS I can not see any delay.

Now the only thing that's left is to get XBMC work with the IR on the OrigenAE Case - any help is greatly apreciatedWink

Best,
Toby
I gave up trying to use the OrigenAE IR and went with an external. I'm now starting to move to IP control. Waiting for JSON to add some additional buttons (info, menu,etc).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Settings in XBMC after having used MediaCompanion?0