XBMC doesn't detect UPnP media server
Question 
Hi,

I installed XBMC to my recently purchased Mac Mini (Mac OS X Lion) and have trouble getting my media collection to play. While VLC does detect the media server (it's a LG NAS called LG N2A2) XBMC doesn't. I added a new UPnP server as a source but it's not auto detected. Or do I have to enter connection data somewhere?
Does the debug log have anything in it when you click on your upnp:// source (settings->system->debugging).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Where do I find the debug log?
Brausepaul Wrote:Where do I find the debug log?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file#Location
My next newbie problem: I do have the log, but I can't paste it at pastebin because I can't open the log file in a text editor for a simple reason: I can't find the path in the editor's file dialog, the folder Library is simply not shown.
Okay, I finally made it to upload the log file.

http://pastebin.com/iHaANxHR

As you can see, XBMC tries to connect to upnp:// (this is azto-detect, right?) but never gets an answer / doesn't find it.
Or to solve the problem from a basic level: what is the proper procedure to connect to a media server via UPnP? I read the wiki but it isn't very specific when it comes to this. Do I have to enter connection data at any time? Or is "upnp://" enough (auto-detect)?
It should be auto-detected assuming the server broadcasts it's presence, yes. That should be all you need to do. If you have time to debug things further, I could do up a build with upnp debugging enabled for you.

Does the NAS also have smb:// sharing or similar? Not ideal, but better than it simply not working.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Will have to check the NAS documents for SMB features. If it helps to hunt down the problem I will try out a debug build (only if the problem isn't me, of course Big Grin). It might take a day or two until I get back, though. Just drop me a line where I can get the debug build.
Okay, the NAS supports SMB als well as AFP, it works via SMB. Do I miss any features when using this kind of connection?
You actually get more features when using SMB or AFP, because XBMC's library function doesn't play nicely with UPnP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC doesn't detect UPnP media server0